• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
The crazy thing is that the mask rules in Italy are currently more strict now than when I went to Milan in August 2020 pre-vaccines and pre-weaker variants...

I was in Venice August 2020 - the wonderful Airport smoking lounge was closed yet it was okay to be packed on a BA Plane "piggy in the middle"

Verona October 2020 mandatory testing on entry had come in but they had closed the testing facility at the Airport the week before so we swerved that.

As you say it is even more regressive almost two years later.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Italy got hit hard and early with covid, particularly in the north around Lombardy. They had a pretty torrid time of it and I think that has influenced their approach since as they were determined to avoid a return to that situation.
We have friends in Lodi, just outside Milan, which was pretty much Ground Zero for Covid in Italy - they had a horrific time in the first wave with a very high death rate. It's quite understandable why they are cautious.

But surely with vaccines, treatments and a far less serious dominant variant the time for "being cautious" is over?

LAX54

Established Member
Denmark from 1st May (I think) will be stopping vaccinations, as they have got to the point where further vaccinations are not worthwhile

“Spring has arrived, vaccine coverage in the Danish population is high, and the epidemic has reversed,” health chiefs said in a statement.

“Therefore, the National Board of Health is now ending the broad vaccination efforts against COVID-19 for this season."

Bolette Soborg, Denmark's chief physician, added: "We are winding down the mass vaccination programme against COVID-19."

deltic

Established Member
Travelling to the Netherlands next week - see Eurostar still requires you to wear masks - does Thalys between Brussels and Rotterdam? I assume no masks required for local NS services

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Travelling to the Netherlands next week - see Eurostar still requires you to wear masks - does Thalys between Brussels and Rotterdam? I assume no masks required for local NS services
Masks are still required on public transport in France and Belgium; until that's scrapped, nothing will be changing. I do wonder what would happen if Belgium scrapped masks before France - would Eurostar still insist on masks on Brussels/Amsterdam services throughout, or just for the portion where the train passes through France?

Picture the scene, mid-way through the Channel Tunnel... "We are now entering France, please put on your mask for the next 150km" :lol:

robbob700

I was in the Netherlands a couple of weeks ago and masks are not required anywhere including public transport and no one wears masks either. The only place masks were required was at Schiphol Airport (but only after scanning your boarding pass to queue for security) and there it was strictly enforced.

kristiang85

Established Member
Currently in Lithuania. No masks on the plane here, no masks on the bus from the airport, no masks in evidence anywhere. In fact, I've yet to see any evidence of COVID measures at all. It's utterly wonderful.

rvdborgt

Currently in Lithuania. No masks on the plane here, no masks on the bus from the airport, no masks in evidence anywhere. In fact, I've yet to see any evidence of COVID measures at all. It's utterly wonderful.
Except that they haven't bothered to reinstate their cross-border trains, that were discontinued because of the COVID crisis...

Medical/FFP2 mask wearing depending on state extended until at least the 28th of May on public transport and in medical settings in Germany.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Medical/FFP2 mask wearing depending on state extended until at least the 28th of May on public transport and in medical settings in Germany.

Things like that make it easy for me to decide where I'm not going next. When are countries such as Germany, France, Spain and Italy going to get over this and move on?

D6130

Established Member
The indoor mandate is supposedly ending at the start of May, but there will inevitably be an 'exception' for public transport. Because, of course, the virus knows when you're on a train... :rolleyes:
It's just been announced that the compulsory wearing of masks FFFP2/3 or N95 masks on all public transport in Italy has been extended for another six weeks intil 15th June. That's going to be hugely enjoyable for our first trip from Paris to Milano on the new international Frecciarossa service on 11th May....and our onward journey to Tuscany. :frown:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's just been announced that the compulsory wearing of masks FFFP2/3 or N95 masks on all public transport in Italy has been extended for another six weeks intil 15th June. That's going to be hugely enjoyable for our first trip from Paris to Milano on the new international Frecciarossa service on 11th May....and our onward journey to Tuscany. :frown:
Utterly predictable. What's the point in extending it for six weeks when (ostensibly) this is based on case rates, which could change significantly in that time?

There is no real attempt to even justify it anymore; the Health Minister simply says "as of March 31st we have finished the state of emergency, but we are not out of the pandemic and we still need to act with caution". He speaks as if the pandemic will suddenly end one day - but of course we have known for well over a year, if not 18 months, that this is simply not the case. He is not even setting out any criteria for when masks might be lifted on public transport.

It's a real shame as there are a number of places I still have on my bucket list in Italy, but with FFP2 masks still in place, there is no chance I am risking booking anything at the moment.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The frustrating thing about all this is the singling out of public transport for continued mask wearing - I don't have to wear a mask in a crowded shop or restaurant but I do have to wear one on an empty train/bus. Where is the logic behind all this?

island

Veteran Member
The frustrating thing about all this is the singling out of public transport for continued mask wearing - I don't have to wear a mask in a crowded shop or restaurant but I do have to wear one on an empty train/bus. Where is the logic behind all this?
The rationale I have heard is that people tend to spend more time in public transport and it is more crowded/confined than shops, and that people tend to have less of a choice over using public transport compared to places such as restaurants. It is considered too difficult to specify a "crowdedness" level at which masks become required on transport.

Not saying I agree with it, just passing it on.

It's not just public transport overseas where this is contentious. I currently work 3 days a week just outside Cambridge and have to get a Park & Ride bus into the site. The buses are rarely more than half full but the proportion of people (general public) still masking up is still arounds 2/3 regardless of the time of day. I don't know if it's because the route goes around the area with all the hospitals and people are all visiting or working in the hospitals but it's still a bit disconcerting for a 5 minute bus ride! No-one has said anything to me but I have had the odd filthy look or person turning to face away from me when boarding or alighting. Frankly those attitudes can go back to 2020 and stay there!

Butts

Veteran Member
Quite honestly it's a mess.

If you look on Flyer Talk there seems to be no consistency with Flights to Munich Nuremberg and Berlin with BA all getting different treatment at seemingly the whim of the crew.

On BA's website it clearly states in the list of Countries no mask required in either direction on German Flights.

It also says they are required in Airports which is certainly not true in the UK and not in Nuremberg last night.

Might get an avios boost. :E

Been waiting 7 weeks for a Dusseldorf Hol Refund / 261 and expenses from the IT meltdown in late February.

Quick update had an E-Mail from BA today.

They apologised and admitted the crew briefing was out of date with masks not being required for flights from Germany to the UK.

Awarded 10,000 Avios Points :E

philosopher

Established Member
It's not just public transport overseas where this is contentious. I currently work 3 days a week just outside Cambridge and have to get a Park & Ride bus into the site. The buses are rarely more than half full but the proportion of people (general public) still masking up is still arounds 2/3 regardless of the time of day. I don't know if it's because the route goes around the area with all the hospitals and people are all visiting or working in the hospitals but it's still a bit disconcerting for a 5 minute bus ride! No-one has said anything to me but I have had the odd filthy look or person turning to face away from me when boarding or alighting. Frankly those attitudes can go back to 2020 and stay there!
I visited Cambridge last May, when the rule of six indoors was in place. When I was there I did notice people generally were sticking the rules more rigidly then in other places in England and there were more signs telling people to socially distance or wear masks than other places. We were told off for sitting somewhere we were not allowed to sit in cafe due to social distancing.

My guess is that a lot of this had something to do with Cambridge being quite a science orientated city, e.g there being a lot of university students and researches in scientific fields who want to set an example.

island

Veteran Member
My guess is that a lot of this had something to do with Cambridge being quite a science orientated city, e.g there being a lot of university students and researches in scientific fields who want to set an example virtue signal.
Fixed that for you

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Quick update had an E-Mail from BA today.

They apologised and admitted the crew briefing was out of date with masks not being required for flights from Germany to the UK.

Awarded 10,000 Avios Points :E
Is it supposed to be only if the destination requires masks? We were forced to mask* on a trip from Spain to the UK. What's the best email address to get a good response from them?

(* Only for boarding and alighting because obviously I had plenty to drink during the flight but as a point of principle...!)

I visited Cambridge last May, when the rule of six indoors was in place. When I was there I did notice people generally were sticking the rules more rigidly then in other places in England and there were more signs telling people to socially distance or wear masks than other places. We were told off for sitting somewhere we were not allowed to sit in cafe due to social distancing.

My guess is that a lot of this had something to do with Cambridge being quite a science orientated city, e.g there being a lot of university students and researches in scientific fields who want to set an example.
Let's avoid discussion of places within the UK that have endemic equilibrium deniers / vaccine effectiveness deniers (at least in this thread!) ;)

I am boycotting Italy until they remove the mandate. On my last trip I hardly wore an FFP2 though, I made sure to wear either no mask or a breathable cloth mask as much as possible. I had plenty of water bottles with me at all times.

Four guards insisted on FFP2s but all the others didn't mind breathable masks being worn. When a guard demanded FFP2s it resulted in water bottles being consumed for most of those journeys ;)

But there is no way I am booking another trip any time soon.

I am now in a far more sensible country right now; virtually no masks at all here in the Czech Republic! No sign of any vaccine efficacy denying virtue signallers here.

Italy got hit hard and early with covid, particularly in the north around Lombardy. They had a pretty torrid time of it and I think that has influenced their approach since as they were determined to avoid a return to that situation.
We have friends in Lodi, just outside Milan, which was pretty much Ground Zero for Covid in Italy - they had a horrific time in the first wave with a very high death rate. It's quite understandable why they are cautious.
I don't see how this justifies their denial of the effectiveness of vaccines or their refusal to accept that we are heading for endemic equilibrium

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
I am boycotting Italy until they remove the mandate. On my last trip I hardly wore an FFP2 though, I made sure to wear either no mask or a breathable cloth mask as much as possible. I had plenty of water bottles with me at all times.
Unfortunately, my wife and I don't have that choice! We have work to do on the house and taxes to pay.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately, my wife and I don't have that choice! We have work to do on the house and taxes to pay.
You have my commiserations, but we look forward to visiting you, and buying you a meal over there, when the Italian authorities finally see sense!

I can't believe how different life in the Czech Republic is compared to Sicily, where I was only a week ago. It's like being on a different planet.

Butts

Veteran Member
Is it supposed to be only if the destination requires masks? We were forced to mask* on a trip from Spain to the UK. What's the best email address to get a good response from them?

(* Only for boarding and alighting because obviously I had plenty to drink during the flight but as a point of principle...!)

If you go into complaints from the BA Website entering your booking reference number will bring up flights associated with it.

You then highlight the flight in question and enter the details.

I would caution you that according to the BA "Mask Guide" Spanish destinations require one to and from :frown:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I will leave it but I will consider BA's already poor reputation to be further tainted.

Ryanair are desperately trying to get people to wear masks on the flight I'm currently on, but they are facing a losing battle.

Virtually no masks were worn throughout my trip to Slovakia / Czech Republic, and that includes travelling on a lot of public transport, visiting shops and bars/restaurants etc.

Even at the airport masks were absent.

There was virtually no Covid signage and certainly no announcements, with the exception of bizarre distancing announcements at the airport.

I am not booking anything that requires masks out of principle, so if Ryanair want me to book with them again they will need to change their policies.

kristiang85

Established Member
Another flight with LOT, and still no mention of COVID or anything pertaining to it. So I highly recommend them if you want a break to eastern Europe!

P Binnersley

Ryanair are desperately trying to get people to wear masks on the flight I'm currently on, but they are facing a losing battle.
I flew with RyanAir last week. The food and drinks sales seem to be much higher than pre-mask days so masks may be more an economic than health benefit. People were definitely lingering over their purchases.

Birmingham Airport seem to have abandoned enforcing the requirement to wear face coverings in security and immigration; even though it is still on their web site.

Cloud Strife

Established Member
I can't believe how different life in the Czech Republic is compared to Sicily, where I was only a week ago. It's like being on a different planet.

Proportionally, the Czech Republic has had more deaths than Italy. It's too late to do the maths, but:

CZ: 10.7m people, 40k deaths
Italy: 59.5m people, 160k deaths

Four guards insisted on FFP2s but all the others didn't mind breathable masks being worn. When a guard demanded FFP2s it resulted in water bottles being consumed for most of those journeys ;)

I'm not sure how such behaviour is something to be proud of. Being a good guest involves complying with the host's rules.

Things like that make it easy for me to decide where I'm not going next. When are countries such as Germany, France, Spain and Italy going to get over this and move on?

Given that their death rate is lower than in other countries, perhaps they know something?

scarby

Looks like I may have to abandon plans to use an Interrail to travel across from Sweden to the UK in August. The latest update from Germany, which seems to have a corona greatest hits of 2021 on repeat, is that the government and states agreed to continue with masks on public transport, including long-distance trains.

No way am I wearing a beak on several three-four hour train journeys, plus I find them dystopian and disturbing, which is not something I want out of my holiday time.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Looks like I may have to abandon plans to use an Interrail to travel across from Sweden to the UK in August. The latest update from Germany, which seems to have a corona greatest hits of 2021 on repeat, is that the government and states agreed to continue with masks on public transport, including long-distance trains.

No way am I wearing a beak on several three-four hour train journeys, plus I find them dystopian and disturbing, which is not something I want out of my holiday time.
Indeed, it's a real shame. I'm thinking of visiting Scandinavia this summer but with France, Belgium and Germany stubbornly keeping their mask mandates (in particular Germany keeping an FFP2 one) there is no way I am doing it all by rail. I will simply have to fly to Denmark, where it's just Ryanair that mandate masks (and I will be giving them a wide berth - there are plenty of other carriers).

Last edited:

rvdborgt

The Belgian Minister of Mobility wants to get rid of masks in public transport (finally), so change may be coming in Belgium.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Indeed, it's a real shame. I'm thinking of visiting Scandinavia this summer but with France, Belgium and Germany stubbornly keeping their mask mandates (in particular Germany keeping an FFP2 one) there is no way I am doing it all by rail. I will simply have to fly to Denmark, where it's just Ryanair that mandate masks (and I will be giving them a wide berth - there are plenty of other carriers).
I'm going to sound like a stuck record but what is the end game for Germany? The Covid situation is about as good as it's likely to be so that implies masks will remain indefinitely. England hasn't had them for most of the past nine months and yet nothing bad has happened.

Also why are some UK airlines still so keen on them? Are they suggesting that planes are less safe than pubs, trains, shops, theatres etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.