• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeWM

Established Member
I see Justin Trudeau has tested positive for Covid, again. How many times is that now? (he'll be catching up with Kier Starmer at this rate).

Obviously this must all be due to the unvaccinated Canadians he has, disgracefully, continued to ban from leaving the country or getting on a train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gabrielhj07

I see Justin Trudeau has tested positive for Covid, again. How many times is that now? (he'll be catching up with Kier Starmer at this rate).

Obviously this must all be due to the unvaccinated Canadians he has, disgracefully, continued to ban from leaving the country or getting on a train.
Which busybodies are checking vaccinations on a train? Shocking behaiviour.

Butts

Veteran Member
Off to Brussels today from Edinburgh via London Heathrow and back for a Daytrip.

No masks, no forms and no vaccination status required - just like the old days.

Edinburgh Airport surprisingly busy on a Tuesday Morning at 5am - luckily back to BA with Fast Track and Lounge Access

nw1

Established Member
It would appear that some people's solution 5o everything is to impose restrictions. While I could understand imposing fuel rationing in the event the shortages got really severe imposing Covid style restrictions seems over the top to me

Ironic thing is that some of the politicians (not in Ireland, but perhaps elsewhere) who advocate a lockdown approach to dealing with fuel shortages are the same kind of toerags who thought it was a good idea to do gas deals with Putin in the first place...

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Off to Brussels today from Edinburgh via London Heathrow and back for a Daytrip.

No masks, no forms and no vaccination status required - just like the old days.

Edinburgh Airport surprisingly busy on a Tuesday Morning at 5am - luckily back to BA with Fast Track and Lounge Access
Yep we were on a 7am out of Gatwick and I was expecting the worst. Fast track, I walked straight in and up to the trays! BA lounge was empty but that’s because they don’t have many flights there at the mo. The main area was busy as there were 40 flights before ours

Butts

Veteran Member
Yep we were on a 7am out of Gatwick and I was expecting the worst. Fast track, I walked straight in and up to the trays! BA lounge was empty but that’s because they don’t have many flights there at the mo. The main area was busy as there were 40 flights before ours

Heathrow T5 1st Wing Security was a doddle as well (popped out for a fag) in between flights.

Got my B&H in Duty Free

Just enjoying a complimentary Breakfast and Drinks in The 1st Class Lounge - stocking up picnic items for Brussels (crisps & Muffins & pop)

It's a great privilege to have a BA Status- FT Security, Lounges, Board Group One, Free Exit Seats et al.

KeithMcC

Heathrow T5 1st Wing Security was a doddle as well (popped out for a fag) in between flights.

Got my B&H in Duty Free

Just enjoying a complimentary Breakfast and Drinks in The 1st Class Lounge - stocking up picnic items for Brussels (crisps & Muffins & pop)

It's a great privilege to have a BA Status- FT Security, Lounges, Board Group One, Free Exit Seats et al.
It certainly is. Going to miss it when it finally runs out (after 2 Covid extensions!), although work is getting busier again so I might amass enough tier points to keep it.
Waiting for the office to decide if I need to go to Amsterdam tonight.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
It certainly is. Going to miss it when it finally runs out (after 2 Covid extensions!), although work is getting busier again so I might amass enough tier points to keep it.
Waiting for the office to decide if I need to go to Amsterdam tonight.

Yes my silver expires Sept/Oct and there has not been enough time for me to ramp up the points as I wasn’t willing to fly whilst being treated like a leper. Hey ho.

Butts

Veteran Member
Pleased to report that Belgium is completely mask free , adding to the bonus of no vaccination or any other paperwork required to get in. It really has gone from one extreme to another very quickly - thank god !!

Currently in the Diamond Lounge at Brussels Airport where amongst other things they have Stella Artois on tap - pour your own -heaven :E

robbob700

According to news reports today, looks like Italy are keeping their mask requirement on public transport until 30th September due to a surge in case numbers. May be allowing surgical masks rather than FPP3 though.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
According to news reports today, looks like Italy are keeping their mask requirement on public transport until 30th September due to a surge in case numbers. May be allowing surgical masks rather than FPP3 though.
Utterly foreseeable. They are using the latest week's uptick in infections as the ostensible justification.

It's clear they have no real intention of ever removing the mandate. Their loss; I won't bother going to Italy whilst they remain such an outlier amongst other European countries.

D6130

Established Member
Utterly foreseeable. They are using the latest week's uptick in infections as the ostensible justification.
Well it's going to be an uncomfortable journey back to the UK for us on 25/26 June then....especially with temperatures outside of the air-conditioned trains in the mid-thirties!

Richard Scott

Established Member
Glad I decided not to go there in the summer then.

kristiang85

Established Member
Ugh I'm there for the F1 in September. I really hoped by then they would be over their mask nonsense!

My mate I'm going with hadn't had his booster yet either, so I presume he will have to get that.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'll keep Italy off my travel list for the forseeable future then!

If they think masks are so good, why are their case numbers high? You couldn't make this up! :lol:
Well it's going to be an uncomfortable journey back to the UK for us on 25/26 June then....especially with temperatures outside of the air-conditioned trains in the mid-thirties!
I am sure you will be sipping plenty of water and having snacks :) Simply having an open bottle of water on your table should suffice, unless you get an absolute jobsworth.

I'm really getting concerned about a possible reinstatement of restrictions in the Republic of Ireland.

About a week ago, various newspapers (including two that were repeatedly used to leak incoming restrictions a few days before they were officially announced), reported that Ireland's plan to deal with potential fuel shortages later this year is a reinstatement of Covid restrictions (mandatory working from home, banning non-essential domestic and foreign travel, etc.)
Can you add a link and quote please (as per forum requirements)? Thanks :)
The HSE (health service) have now released an online advertising campaign recommending the wearing of face coverings in places where there is currently no public health advice to wear them, such as shops and while waiting for your food in a cafe/restaurant (they are only recommended on public transport and medical facilities) to protect vulnerable people against "Covid-19 and other viruses" - we don't know who's vulnerable by looking at them, so we should assume everyone is.
It's political posturing by people on the hard left. It's also complete nonsense as anyone who is vulnerable could choose to wear an effective respirator mask if they wish; it makes no difference what others do.

danm14

Can you add a link and quote please (as per forum requirements)? Thanks :)
I am unable to link to print newspapers, but the Telegraph has mentioned it in an article on the UK's fuel crisis.

Ireland, which lacks refining capacity, is considering ordering people to work from home under coronavirus lockdown-style emergency plans. The Irish government discussed limiting car travel, cutting the speed limit on motorways and fuel rationing, as well as a stay at home order for non-essential workers.

I should also add a link to the HSE's new advertising campaign, which has now moved from online to being shown at least twice, and on one occasion three times, during every ad break I have seen on RTE television.

bengley

Established Member
Ugh I'm there for the F1 in September. I really hoped by then they would be over their mask nonsense!

My mate I'm going with hadn't had his booster yet either, so I presume he will have to get that.
No requirement to be vaccinated whatsoever to go to italy

Simon11

Established Member
Glad I decided not to go there in the summer then.

Same, we were planning a summer trip there but after this decision we are going elsewhere in Europe.

What on earth are they trying to achieve with wanting masks only on public transport, yet no masks are required on flights to Italy.

When we went to Portugal in May, they had this silly rule too and that even applied to a tram without any windows. The mind boggles! No problem nipping into a shop or busy museum without it though.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's virtue signalling and pandering to the hard left. It achieves absolutely nothing.

Pandering to the hard left is completely pointless as they will never be satisfied with anything anyway.

D6130

Established Member
I am sure you will be sipping plenty of water and having snacks :) Simply having an open bottle of water on your table should suffice, unless you get an absolute jobsworth.
Hopefully we'll be enjoying a full three course meal - with wine as well as water - on the 15 53 Frecciarossa from Milano to Paris!

kristiang85

Established Member
It seems so backward, especially as Europe mostly is back to normal in that regard.

I'm flying to Nicaragua this summer and they still insist on pre-entry testing; presumably if the US drops their requirement, then other North American countries still clinging onto it might quickly follow.

But with Biden in charge I can't see anything changing quickly.

As I predicted, once the US dropped their tests it now seems Nicaragua has too, for vaccinated people. Now no North or Central American countries need it, as far as I'm aware.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Has anyone got any up to date info on what to expect in Italy?
I've just got back from a quick trip Geneva-Munich via Chambéry-Turin-Bologna-Brenner.
No mask issue in CH or FR (though with maybe 30% still wearing them on trains).
FFP2 still mandatory in Italy, even after the 15 June "expiry" of most covid measures.
Masks on at Modane (on pain of being detrained at the next station for non-compliance).
The Frecciarossa trains I was on had a one-way entry-exit thing on alternate doors, with internal signage to the exit doors, and every coach and toilet had a sanitiser dispenser.
Similar on the EC and local trains I used on the Brenner route.
Buses/trams have a sign which essentially says No FFP2 Mask, No Entry.
No problem in stations and in the street however.

My final leg was Brenner-Munich, crossing Austria (no mask mandate except in Vienna) and Germany.
The trains were packed with families returning from holidays in Italy, with many young people.
They were all masked up for the duration, and largely did not unmask for the couple of hours crossing Austria.
On the German border at Kufstein, announcements enforced the mandate.
No mask requirement on stations and in airports.

On the easyJet flight home from Munich, the announcement was to the effect that masks were mandatory under German law but compliance was up to the individual and would not be monitored.
I would guess compliance was about 50%, probably by German passengers for whom it was normality.

From the rail perspective, both cross-border trains were full, so a good sign for rail travel generally.
I shared my hotel in Chambéry with a cheerful team of smartly-uniformed people, who turned out to be the on-board Trenitalia crew for my Chambéry-Milan train next day.
Chambéry is about half way between Paris and Milan, and gives some idea of how Trenitalia resources its new service in competition with SNCF.
I enjoyed their expertly-served complimentary thimble-full of coffee and matching cake, in business class.
And good to know that the railway through Savoy (Culoz-Modane) was built by our very own Thomas Brassey in the 1850s, before Savoy became part of France.

Butts

Veteran Member
Just a heads up to anyone travelling to the USA in the short term who booked a Covid Test as was required until the other week.

Ours were booked with Express Test at T3 Heathrow Airport.

They tried to fob us off with a voucher until I reminded them it was an online booking and I was cancelling within the 14 Day Cooling Off Period.

Today an e-mail arrived agreeing to a full cash refund back to my card.

P Binnersley

Germany is considering making face coverings compulsory in shops and restaurants from "October to Easter"
(currently only in hospitals & public transport).

Germany mulls making masks mandatory ‘from October to Easter’​

The German government is currently drawing up plans to tackle the spread of Covid in the winter. One idea is to make mask wearing mandatory indoors for six months of the year, according to a newspaper report.

Plans being intensively discussed by the German Chancellery could see people being told to wear masks in all indoor public spaces during the colder half of the year in a so-called “O-bis-O” (Oktober bis Ostern) scheme.

The idea is to make masks compulsory during the winter months when Covid cases have been higher since the beginning of the pandemic. Advocates of the plan reportedly hope that it will not only slow the spread of Covid but also hinder other lung infections from spreading at a time of year when flu infections are typically high.
https://www.thelocal.de/20220526/german-health-minister-planning-new-mask-requirement-for-autumn/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.