• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greybeard33

Established Member
Not read the whole thread but I can't help thinking good idea but wrong train and wrong engine.
Better to me to create a true bi mode by fitting an engine/ gens under the driving trailers of the soon to be spare I believe 313 or sim types.
Lots of space for engine, al body too,75mph, and air rather than rubber springs.
k
What are the planned release dates for the 313s, 314s and 315s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

edwin_m

Veteran Member
What are the planned release dates for the 313s, 314s and 315s?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there. If extra units are to cover the gap created by delay to electrification then they are needed now, and indeed there is a risk that the D78 prototype won't have enough time to demonstrate reliable operation before the Northern bidders make their decisions on whether to use it. The first 315s to be released (by Crossrail stock) must be a couple of years off, with 313s sometime later as the Moorgate stock hasn't even been ordered yet. I don't recall if the first or second tranche of AT200 is supposed to displace the 314s.

Mikey C

Established Member
I think you've hit the nail on the head there. If extra units are to cover the gap created by delay to electrification then they are needed now, and indeed there is a risk that the D78 prototype won't have enough time to demonstrate reliable operation before the Northern bidders make their decisions on whether to use it. The first 315s to be released (by Crossrail stock) must be a couple of years off, with 313s sometime later as the Moorgate stock hasn't even been ordered yet. I don't recall if the first or second tranche of AT200 is supposed to displace the 314s.

Isn't the other factor that all the PEP type trains can operate under overhead power lines, and hence can be transferred to newly electrified lines, whereas the D78 are 3rd/4th rail only DC units, so are useless for the majority of the country unless dieselised

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Isn't the other factor that all the PEP type trains can operate under overhead power lines, and hence can be transferred to newly electrified lines, whereas the D78 are 3rd/4th rail only DC units, so are useless for the majority of the country unless dieselised

Perhaps so, but I think we'll have a surplus of older but serviceable 25kV units especially if the Welsh go for new build or tram-train. There's also the possibility of keeping the 25kV equipment and running them as bi-modes.

asylumxl

Established Member
To lighten the mood on this thread, can someone with the "paintbox" skills produce an image of a D78 in Northern Rail livery.

TsH7cdd.jpg

A rough approximation. It's past midnight so excuse the lazy masking.

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
For the purposes of the crash regs and the emissions regs will these be classed as new trains?

D365

Veteran Member
To lighten the mood on this thread, can someone with the "paintbox" skills produce an image of a D78 in Northern Rail livery.

What, you don't appreciate the PEP talk? ;)

A good quick photoshop nonetheless!

Greybeard33

Established Member
For the purposes of the crash regs and the emissions regs will these be classed as new trains?
A new engine in an old train has to meet the latest emissions requirements. Vivarail has stated that the automotive diesel engines it has selected will be compliant.

For crashworthiness, it seems that the D78 stock has "grandfather rights", so that only the D-train modifications have to comply with the latest requirements. See the Modern Railways article on the Vivarail website: http://www.vivarail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Modern-Railways-Dec-2014.pdf

paulclass43

I will personally take a cutters torch to them if they are introduced in Hull.

A little extreme perhaps. But I will.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
How about Vivarail eventually taking all Angel Trains Class 142 Pacers and doing a similar internal and bodyshell refurbishment, fitting all the required underbody and traction items.....and then offering them to those charged with the running of the London Underground where the D78's once ran.

Camden

Established Member
How about Vivarail eventually taking all Angel Trains Class 142 Pacers and doing a similar internal and bodyshell refurbishment, fitting all the required underbody and traction items.....and then offering them to those charged with the running of the London Underground where the D78's once ran.

They don't have the required emergency exits at either end sorry! :p

Bantamzen

Established Member

And don't forget the 141s rusting away in Iran. Vivarail could get those for a steal...

Status
Not open for further replies.