• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe-Shrewsbury delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

jawr256

I've been looking at recent services between Crewe and Shrewsbury today to test the resilience of a connection, and noticed that systematic delays seem to be occurring for the fast services, despite there being no scheduled intermediate stops and not apparently following another train.

To take the example I'm interested in, since the start of last week, 1V38 (0938 Manchester Piccadilly-Carmarthen) has accrued 5, 5, 11, 4, 4, 3, and 10 minutes of delay between departing Crewe and arriving at Shrewsbury.

The delay seems to accrue gradually between Crewe and Wem.

eg: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P16529/2019/01/15/advanced

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sw1ller

Established Member
There are a lot of level crossings on that line which have had a lot of work done one them in the last week. I’ve not been over there in a couple of weeks but it could be because of them. They’re not the most reliable at the best of times.

craigybagel

Established Member
There are a lot of level crossings on that line which have had a lot of work done one them in the last week. I’ve not been over there in a couple of weeks but it could be because of them. They’re not the most reliable at the best of times.

And I believe that was the issue yesterday - my own train got caught out by the common issue of getting checked at every signal, with the level crossings not activating in time to prevent a fast train getting held up, and usually when that happens it effects trains all day.

I've been looking at recent services between Crewe and Shrewsbury today to test the resilience of a connection, and noticed that systematic delays seem to be occurring for the fast services, despite there being no scheduled intermediate stops and not apparently following another train.

To take the example I'm interested in, since the start of last week, 1V38 (0938 Manchester Piccadilly-Carmarthen) has accrued 5, 5, 11, 4, 4, 3, and 10 minutes of delay between departing Crewe and arriving at Shrewsbury.

The delay seems to accrue gradually between Crewe and Wem.

eg: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P16529/2019/01/15/advanced

Does anyone know what might be causing this?
Thanks

I've mentioned above the likely reason for yesterday, but I don't know for certain. I can however explain last week's issue. The engineering work that led to two weekend blockages of the line also resulted in two separate 20mph temporary speed limits through the affected areas (Newcastle Road level crossing outside Nantwich, and work for a new bridge North of Whitchurch), during the week between those two blockages, which caused a fair few delays especially to the fast services like the one you linked to.

The line is back open at line speed now however so shouldn't experience such regular delays.

Established Member
Wheelslip seems a serious issue from what I've seen around there.

sw1ller

Established Member
Wheelslip seems a serious issue from what I've seen around there.

It’s as bad as anywhere really. It’s a pain but nothing excessive. I had issues accelerating this autum, but braking was fine.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The whole resignalled section is in effect fully automatic, the signaller has virtually no input at all. It’s a very poor set up to be honest, bi directional running you can’t access in normal signalled operation, OD level crossings which are slow to clear and not the most the most reliable equipment in the world.

Little surprise the scheme hasn’t been repeated elsewhere.

sw1ller

Established Member
The whole resignalled section is in effect fully automatic, the signaller has virtually no input at all. It’s a very poor set up to be honest, bi directional running you can’t access in normal signalled operation, OD level crossings which are slow to clear and not the most the most reliable equipment in the world.

Little surprise the scheme hasn’t been repeated elsewhere.

Yeah, it’s not great is it. Has the bi-di ever been used? Will harlscott understand a difference between a slow and a semi fast? Is leaving the barrier open at Nantwich safe if a train is stopping there given how greasy it can be? Think they need to go back to the drawing board with it.

craigybagel

Established Member
Yeah, it’s not great is it. Has the bi-di ever been used? Will harlscott understand a difference between a slow and a semi fast? Is leaving the barrier open at Nantwich safe if a train is stopping there given how greasy it can be? Think they need to go back to the drawing board with it.

The bi di has been used to rescue failed units, or to turn them back if the line gets blocked. But as has been pointed out, it's pretty much useless for anything else. I believe Nantwich has been raised with Network Rail and deemed safe even though none of the drivers are especially happy with it. I've no idea why they have that particular set up there other then the fact it replicates what was there under the old signalling. With the exception of the 1730 off Manchester, the loading and unloading of passengers is usually complete well before the signal gets pulled off so it wouldn't cause that much extra delay to road users if the barriers were lowered before the train arrived.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Generally if the crossing is inside the overlap of the protecting signal you’ll have to close the gates prior the signal in rear clearing.

Tomnick

Established Member
Generally if the crossing is inside the overlap of the protecting signal you’ll have to close the gates prior the signal in rear clearing.
Road traffic has never been considered an obstruction as far as the overlap is concerned. There is a minimum distance beyond the signal, but this is much less than the standard overlap.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Except in poor railhead conditions where we need to clear the crossing and signal prior to the train arriving.

Llama

Established Member
Plenty of OD crossings causing similar problems in other areas. Unnecessary risks. Two have very restrictive approach to a red protecting them, are in known low adhesion areas (but not 'listed' in the sectional appendix) and it's pretty normal to be brought to a stand in a platform at one of them (even when not booked to stop at said platform) with traffic flowing merrily through raised barriers <40 yards in advance of your cab. It will only end one way.

Status
Not open for further replies.