• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Well I knew the basics but wasn’t totally sure on expressions like - Seamer, Swing, Duckworth Lewis etc.

I had to look those up too, it's a really complex game surprisingly.
A Seamer or Seam bowler, bowls the ball so that it bounces on the ball's seams

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
What about the Royal London One Day cup? Is it not happening anymore then?

The Royal London One Day Cup is, apparently, being relegated to a "development competition" from 2020 onwards, being played in the same weeks as the wretched Hundred. The final will be played at Trent Bridge not Lords.

cactustwirly

Established Member
The Royal London One Day Cup is, apparently, being relegated to a "development competition" from 2020 onwards, being played in the same weeks as the wretched Hundred. The final will be played at Trent Bridge not Lords.

Shame, didn't get to watch it this year, as I don't get Sky Sports at Uni

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Seamer is near Scarborough ;)

If anyone can explain the d/l method they are doing better than me!
Yep. He may have explained it but even he didn’t look that certain...
Anyway I shall listen to the game on Sunday with a bit more of an understanding.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well even the worlds best have an off day.

World best? Last I checked the top three ranked ODI sides in order were England, India and New Zealand. Australia are only the fourth ranked side in the world so it requires some mental gymnastics to conclude that Australia are the worlds best!

Karl

On Moderation
Listen? Get it watched! :lol:

I'd love to watch if I had a TV. I used to love watching cricket on the TV back in the day but I lost interest when it went to Sky TV etc. I always listened on BBC Radio 5 Live though and I'll be listening on Sunday.

(Currently listening to Federer v Nadal on 5 Live)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Seamer is near Scarborough ;)

If anyone can explain the d/l method they are doing better than me!
It's similar to Universal Credit in that there's only one person who understands it, and nobody who actually thinks it's fair.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It's similar to Universal Credit in that there's only one person who understands it, and nobody who actually thinks it's fair.

Hmm I dunno. Universal Credit is quite simple when you look at how the regulations tell you it's supposed to work. Where it breaks down is that the Department for Work and Pensions aren't actually following what the law tells them to do.

I'm not convinced that DLS is simple at any stage!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Hmm I dunno. Universal Credit is quite simple when you look at how the regulations tell you it's supposed to work. Where it breaks down is that the Department for Work and Pensions aren't actually following what the law tells them to do.

I'm not convinced that DLS is simple at any stage!
You're absolutely right. Perhaps we should have got Iain Duncan Smith to sort out Duckworth-Lewis!!

Pakenhamtrain

World best? Last I checked the top three ranked ODI sides in order were England, India and New Zealand. Australia are only the fourth ranked side in the world so it requires some mental gymnastics to conclude that Australia are the worlds best!
If the rankings actually meant anything India would be in the final.

We've won the thing 5 times. There's daylight to the next successful.

Howardh

Established Member
If it is I bet it gets watched live by plenty more than the King Hundred.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
If the rankings actually meant anything India would be in the final.

We've won the thing 5 times. There's daylight to the next successful.

You have. Not this one though ;) Also the current aussie team isn't a patch on some of the previous ones. They are at the bottom of the building cycle while England are at the top.

OBVIOUSLY England will implode and be 67-7 of 12 overs but just let us have this little bit of fun.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

Cricket bores are doing their nut about the 100 ( and there is no north east team!) but if it brings new people to the game so much the better.

Apparently ECB research shows that while 20/20 is a fantastic success women and families are put off as the matches can quite easily turn into a massive after work pi$$ up and get quite rowdy. The 100 is designed to change that apparently

Also the broadcasters wanted a new product ( not under contract) and the ecb wanted public access to coverage hence a new competition

Shame, didn't get to watch it this year, as I don't get Sky Sports at Uni

The 100 is to be shown on BBC as is the women's version

Pakenhamtrain

Cricket bores are doing their nut about the 100 ( and there is no north east team!) but if it brings new people to the game so much the better.

Apparently ECB research shows that while 20/20 is a fantastic success women and families are put off as the matches can quite easily turn into a massive after work pi$$ up and get quite rowdy. The 100 is designed to change that apparently
40 balls isn't going to make much difference.

BBL down here is a fantastic family event. Mind you we serve mid strength and charge like a wounded bull for it.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Day 1 of the Lancashire v Sussex County Championship match saw Sussex making a good opening stand of 77, then the gremlins must have cast a spell on the batsmen as they soon were 95-8, before recovering to 127 all out. It was not the Lancashire main strike bowlers who did the damage this time, but Parkinson with 5-23 and Maxwell with 4-41.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Day 1 of the Lancashire v Sussex County Championship match saw Sussex making a good opening stand of 77, then the gremlins must have cast a spell on the batsmen as they soon were 95-8, before recovering to 127 all out. It was not the Lancashire main strike bowlers who did the damage this time, but Parkinson with 5-23 and Maxwell with 4-41.
I wonder if you've heard about the death of Jack Bond, Lancashire's captain during their late 60s/early 70s one-day successes? They still occasionally show on TV the stunning catch he took to dismiss Asif Iqbal of my team Kent in a cup final at Lords.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Wow that's a slow game! You often get scores of 150+ in T20 marches (ok that's very good batsmen, scoring a load of boundaries)

cactustwirly

Established Member
England are bowling very well against New Zealand, I just hope they can bat just as well.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England are bowling very well against New Zealand, I just hope they can bat just as well.
Currently, no. NZ strangling England just like they did India. Matt Henry is a superb bowler (skills honed in Canterbury, Kent, of course!)