• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Can anyone inform me as to the logic behind the playing of "back-to-back" Test Matches, which as Ferret in an earlier posting quite rightly stated had already been the case in this series, where key injured players were not given the time to recover. Is the duration of the 2013 cricket season not long enough to allow for the proper timings between Test Matches ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Buttsy

Established Member
Can anyone inform me as to the logic behind the playing of "back-to-back" Test Matches, which as Ferret in an earlier posting quite rightly stated had already been the case in this series, where key injured players were not given the time to recover. Is the duration of the 2013 cricket season not long enough to allow for the proper timings between Test Matches ?

Paul, we've got to fit in 75 one day and T20 fixtures, so we'll have to play test matches every day over 25 days soon...<(

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Paul, we've got to fit in 75 one day and T20 fixtures, so we'll have to play test matches every day over 25 days soon...<(

It is sad to see that an Ashes series over here no longer is seen as the highlight of the season and one just to be accommodated as best it can with the newer competitions that have suddenly become part of the cricket season.

jb

In the good old days with proper spacing between Test matches, players would have been turning out in first-class cricket for their counties in the interim period. So perhaps not so different, at least from the players' recovery time perspective.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the good old days with proper spacing between Test matches, players would have been turning out in first-class cricket for their counties in the interim period. So perhaps not so different, at least from the players' recovery time perspective.

You sound that you are like me in having reminiscences of cricketing days long gone. I watched my first Lancashire match at Old Trafford in 1955, as a treat for passing my eleven-plus exam.

County cricket matches were still three-day matches, not the four-day version we have today. There was one less county, as Durham only had early dreams of ever attaining the dizzy heights that they currently enjoy. No such matters existed to concern the teams with such as T20, 40 over, 50 over, matches, that cannot but undermine the mind-set of players playing a five-day Test Match.

Far too much extra cricket
played these days can only be detrimental to the bodies and minds of the players. Cricket may well be said to have moved with the times, but human evolution has not had the same sudden gain in capacity to mitigate the body and mental stress on todays players.

jb

You sound that you are like me in having reminiscences of cricketing days long gone. I watched my first Lancashire match at Old Trafford in 1955, as a treat for passing my eleven-plus exam.

I wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye until well after 1955 ;) but I'm something of a student of the game I suppose.

It's certainly true there's considerably more Test cricket these days, but nonetheless the likes of Trueman used to send down a thousand overs a season, year after year, which just doesn't happen these days. But then again, the Test players generally don't play (much) first-class cricket. Too much cricket is a problem in general terms of scheduling and potential overload in the minds of the spectating public, but in the era of the central contract the Test players are relatively insulated against it.

Buttsy

Established Member
There are those who would find it difficult to believe that Lancashire's very own "Burnley Express", Jimmy Anderson, is anyway at all connected with the county any more...<(

And I remember the days Lancs and Yorks used to moan that their players never got picked by England even though they were in better form than their Middlesex and Surrey counterparts...You cna't have your cake and eat it Paul. ;)

Oswyntail

Established Member
There are those who would find it difficult to believe that Lancashire's very own "Burnley Express", Jimmy Anderson, is anyway at all connected with the county any more...<(
I believe he has been very active in the campaigns ti get the OT improvements authorised and funded. He may rarely turn out for us, but he is still one of us.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
And I remember the days Lancs and Yorks used to moan that their players never got picked by England even though they were in better form than their Middlesex and Surrey counterparts...You can't have your cake and eat it Paul. ;)

They never said that when Freddie Trueman and Brian Statham were a feared England opening bowling attack...both with different bowling attributes, yet both deadly in their own way.

Buttsy

Established Member
They never said that when Freddie Trueman and Brian Statham were a feared England opening bowling attack...both with different bowling attributes, yet both deadly in their own way.

I was thinking more of the batsmen, we all know that the toil and hard work should be done by those from the north as they're used to it from working down t'pit 25 hours a day. Graceful and elegant batsmanship should always be shown by those from the south, Tavare, Gooch, Brearley, Stewart (both), Ramprakash, Graveney, Cowdrey et al... ;)

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I was thinking more of the batsmen, we all know that the toil and hard work should be done by those from the north as they're used to it from working down t'pit 25 hours a day. Graceful and elegant batsmanship should always be shown by those from the south, Tavare, Gooch, Brearley, Stewart (both), Ramprakash, Graveney, Cowdrey et al... ;)

Being the age I am, you could add the England captain P.B.H.May and M.J.K.Smith to your list of batsmen from south of the "oop North" border.

Long gone are the days when it was said if England needed a new lethally fast pace bowler, all that was needed was a visit to the Nottinghamshire coalfield, a shout down a pit and a grimy-faced son of the coal seam would come up to the surface and fear would be struck in the hearts of the opposing batsmen, especially those of an antipodean persuasion. A certain Harold Larwood who went to work in the pits at the age of 14 springs to mind here.

I am sure there are some rapscallions on this thread who think that I am old enough to have watched the bearded W.G.Grace stride out to the crease to "do his duty" for England...:oops:

bnm

Established Member
Far too much extra cricket[/B] played these days can only be detrimental to the bodies and minds of the players. Cricket may well be said to have moved with the times, but human evolution has not had the same sudden gain in capacity to mitigate the body and mental stress on todays players.

However, County squads are much larger these days. Take a look at a T20 team sheet and compare it with a County Championship game the next week. You'll be lucky to match 5 or 6 names in both teams.

Going back 25 years there was just as much cricket. There was the County Championship, The Sunday League and two cup competitions - the Benson and Hedges Cup and the NatWest Trophy. All played with much smaller squads than today.

Buttsy

Established Member
Being the age I am, you could add the England captain P.B.H.May and M.J.K.Smith to your list of batsmen from south of the "oop North" border.

Long gone are the days when it was said if England needed a new lethally fast pace bowler, all that was needed was a visit to the Nottinghamshire coalfield, a shout down a pit and a grimy-faced son of the coal seam would come up to the surface and fear would be struck in the hearts of the opposing batsmen, especially those of an antipodean persuasion. A certain Harold Larwood who went to work in the pits at the age of 14 springs to mind here.

I am sure there are some rapscallions on this thread who think that I am old enough to have watched the bearded W.G.Grace stride out to the crease to "do his duty" for England...:oops:

Paul, some of those names weren't those you'd say were stylish (Stewarts, Tav, Goochie...). Always find Gower awkward to place, Leicestershire, but very southern in temperament - oh yeah, King's Canterbury, that explains it... :D

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Paul, some of those names weren't those you'd say were stylish (Stewarts, Tav, Goochie...). Always find Gower awkward to place, Leicestershire, but very southern in temperament - oh yeah, King's Canterbury, that explains it... :D

Was it Chris Tavare, as was the case with the Australian, Bill Lawry, who really developed the stonewall batting approach to breaking both the spirit and the hearts of the opposing pace attack ?

Buttsy

Established Member
Was it Chris Tavare, as was the case with the Australian, Bill Lawry, who really developed the stonewall batting approach to breaking both the spirit and the hearts of the opposing pace attack ?

And bore the hell out of everyone, yes...

Ferret

Established Member

7 Test matches this summer - plus a champions trophy, and some pointless ODIs. Too much cricket, too little time. Still, it keeps Mr Murdoch happy....

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
7 Test matches this summer - plus a champions trophy, and some pointless ODIs. Too much cricket, too little time. Still, it keeps Mr Murdoch happy....

There can now be a real chance of "player burn-out" occurring in the next five to ten year period if this ridiculous level of top-level cricket continues.Good as the fitness levels now are of the top bowlers and the top-quality medical care available, the human frame was not intended for such long periods of sustained wear and tear to its tendons, joints, muscles, etc.

High Dyke

Established Member
The "Genie of the Lamp" both heard and granted your wish, so both teams are now in the quarter-finals....:D
So both Roses teams have been beaten by Notts - home and away - in this competition. Lancs didn't put up much of a fight on Sunday though, not in the face of some strong bowling by both Notts spinners.

That said at least they didn't get a mauling like the Tykes did at Grace Road. :lol:

Someone mentioned earlier about county games. It's nice to see that ECB have planned a county game to finish the day before the first of the T20 Q/Fs. :| Though in fairness they wouldn't be able to predict which teams qualified.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I wasn't even a twinkle in my mother's eye until well after 1955 ;) but I'm something of a student of the game I suppose.

It's certainly true there's considerably more Test cricket these days, but nonetheless the likes of Trueman used to send down a thousand overs a season, year after year, which just doesn't happen these days. But then again, the Test players generally don't play (much) first-class cricket. Too much cricket is a problem in general terms of scheduling and potential overload in the minds of the spectating public, but in the era of the central contract the Test players are relatively insulated against it.

I sometimes have to blink when I read that today's bowlers have to be 'rested' or their appearances for their county have to be 'carefully managed' when they only bowl a small proportion of overs annually when compared to their forebears. However, I'm also aware that these fast bowlers are also expected to field well and can't doze off or rest at third man/long leg. Anyone under, say, thirty would be amazed at the poor fielding standards (by todays standards, anyway) of the not-so-long-ago generation of professional cricketers. A fast bowler gently trotting around the boundary might stick out a hopeful size 13 boot..but a full length dive? Never!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Looking at the BBC advance weather forecast for the Old Trafford area for the next Test Match, Thursday looks to be a very good day, Friday and Saturday look to be seeing rainfall, Sunday seems the return of better weather, but Monday onwards sees the return of wet weather.

Ferret

Established Member
Looking at the BBC advance weather forecast for the Old Trafford area for the next Test Match, Thursday looks to be a very good day, Friday and Saturday look to be seeing rainfall, Sunday seems the return of better weather, but Monday onwards sees the return of wet weather.

That's the Ashes retained then!:lol:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member

Typical Manchester, I suppose, but sad for those who have fought for the redevelopment of the ground in time for this test(and for those lucky enough to have tickets) I made my annual visit a few weeks ago for the third day of the Lancs v Glamorgan game, I was impressed with the 'new' Old Trafford, certainly better than last year when it was a building site. Whilst it has lost some of its character, redevelopment had to happen to compete with the other test grounds.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If Cook wins the toss, what should he do?

He should look at the condition of the square, noting if any moisture had permeated under the covers after the Wednesday rainfall, noting also the excellent hot weather today, then deciding to see if the better course of action would be to bat and to occupy the crease on such a day where quite a period of the five days look like being lost to the weather, noting that a draw would enable England to retain the Ashes.

Or...to set his pace attack upon the Australians in a pre-emptive strike, hoping that the Australian batting frailty will once again reveal itself.

In such a case, if I were the England captain, I would choose the first option.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I agree, it depends on weather conditions, if its going to be sunny, bat first, but if its overcast with good cloud cover, hopefully it will zip around, I would put the Aussies in & hope the "Burnley Express" is firing on all cylinders!

Ferret

Established Member
And Cook just lost it!

I agree though, could be a good morning to bowl....