• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Johnuk123

Established Member
Finn who was described as "tired and lacking confidence" by Giles is another one who is now on the plane home.

How can you be tired when you've spent weeks doing nothing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gswindale

Finn who was described as "tired and lacking confidence" by Giles is another one who is now on the plane home.

How can you be tired when you've spent weeks doing nothing.

If you'd have read the various reports; he's spent more time working over the past few weeks than most of us.

Turning up to practice sessions early and being determined to solve his bowling issues suggests a pretty committed cricketer to me.

Not surprised somebody has realised he needs a proper "break" from it all.

Personally I think it is a shame that he's been asked to change his action just for the sake of a few no-balls per innings. With his strike rate; that should surely have been an acceptable side-effect of his bowling style.

DownSouth

Established Member
Quite easily.
I agree, and it's not like Finn would have been sitting around doing nothing anyway, he would have been training on a regular basis (including some sessions in the nets while the match was ongoing and the noise of the crowd and announcer could clearly heard) and doing various 12th man tasks for the team. Training is harder on the body than playing and doesn't come with the sense of achievement (although playing got the same reward for England in the 5-0 loss) while 12th man duties require almost as much attention as fielding and often covering far more ground than any of the fielders, and just like training it is a lot of work without much reward.

Some journallists need to ask the team management some probing questions about Finn - why on earth did they bring five seamers on the tour to compete for the two slots left after Anderson and Broad were selected? Surely the best two and one or two travelling reserves would have been enough with extras to be called up if one of the first-choice players got injured?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Personally I think it is a shame that he's been asked to change his action just for the sake of a few no-balls per innings. With his strike rate; that should surely have been an acceptable side-effect of his bowling style.
This.

Finn's action only needed a few minor tweaks to fix (just shift him outwards a bit and put a full-width wicket at the bowler's end during net sessions, keep it simple for fire truck's sake!) and the coaches shouldn't have tried to break it down completely like they did.

Of the seven seam bowlers sent on tour, Finn was the one that our batsmen least wanted to play against because he alone would have been effective enough to get England earning all ten wickets on a regular basis instead of relying on gifts from our batsmen.

Johnuk123

Established Member
England 296-8.

After looking like England might finally post a decent score a mini collapse occurs as per normal to give Australia an excellent chance of another win.

If Australia can't beat that score I will be surprised especially with our completely out of touch bowlers.

Johnuk123

Established Member
I can't understand why that 6 of Butler was given as a 2 at first when everybody in the ground could see the fielders bit of deception.

Joe Root is a player I like, but he is completely out of form in one day games as well as tests.
I can’t really see him playing the next game.
We can move Stokes up from 7 and Buttler up from 8 to bring in a bowler, probably Treadwell.

Great figures from Bopara earlier 3-0-3-4. Finally we clear up an Australian tail.

He's ripping through the Aussies with the ball though.

Interesting comments from George Bailey pre match that he's "proud" that 3 England players have had to go home

He's proud that someone has a mental illness? Odd comments. Very miss-guided.

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Australia win by 1 wicket.

Once again as per usual we lose when in an excellent position.

Cook must be very close to suicidal by now.

We've been really poor in the past but this is horrendous. We have players being nutted off mid series, players who have never made one game being sent home because they're tired.

We have a captain who makes bizarre fielding decisions, who seems powerless to change when change is required.

We have Fowler who seems relaxed when players don't turn up on time for meetings and seems to have no discipline whatsoever.

Sweep the lot away, we have nothing to lose.

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
Interesting comments from George Bailey pre match that he's "proud" that 3 England players have had to go home

He's proud that someone has a mental illness? Odd comments. Very miss-guided.
Surely he's talking about Pietersen, Anderson and Swann - the three players dropped for being out-played.

What should be looked at is why the umpires entertained Morgan's objection to getting out when England had already used up their one review on another frivolous Root LBW dismissal, he should have just copped the decision sweet and taken up the issue with Root.

Last edited:

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Surely he's talking about Pietersen, Anderson and Swann - the three players dropped for being out-played.

What should be looked at is why the umpires entertained Morgan's objection to getting out when England had already used up their one review on another frivolous Root LBW dismissal, he should have just copped the decision sweet and taken up the issue with Root.

I think that you'll find he was talking about Trott,Swann and Finn...Pietersen and Anderson were never going to play in the 50-over series. Not what I would have expected from Bailey.
Good win for Australia, well played to Faulkner...England showing that when you're down, you really are down!

Johnuk123

Established Member
If Pakistan had lost every test by a mile after being favourites at the start of the series and then lost a ODI from such a good position every cricket commentator in the world would be shouting - FIX.

I doubt we have fixed anything we're simply rubbish in every department but the Pakistan bribery scandals has caused people to now be dubious to say the least.

ACE1888

England's farcical tour sinks to new depths, truly unbelievable scenes during the 2nd One dayer, and what will happen with selection for the summer series? Bugger all knowing the ECB. Not a happy bunny Me

Johnuk123

Established Member
England's farcical tour sinks to new depths, truly unbelievable scenes during the 2nd One dayer, and what will happen with selection for the summer series? Bugger all knowing the ECB. Not a happy bunny Me

Been a very long time since English International cricket has been such a disaster.

We do have the odd 10 mins when the odd player looks ok but by and large nobody would miss any one of them.

As I have said before we haven't been beaten by some super side, we have made them look that way with no spirit or fight and most of all no talent.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Makes me wonder how any future Test Match player is seen by the powers-that-be and how they are schooled into the requirements of Test Match cricket on matters such as mental toughness.

*************************************************************************************************

3rd ODI

England 243-9 (50 overs)
Morgan 54 (2x6/4x4)
Bresnan 41 not out (2x6/3x4)
Coulter-Nile 3-47

Australia 124-2 (21 overs)
Warner 71 (2x6/7x4)....from only 86 balls

Australia scoring at almost 6 an over.

Last edited:

Johnuk123

Established Member
Lost again.

Please please English selectors send more home in fact send the lot home as this continuing torture could be classed as abuse.

We've turned into a cricket version of the England football team in fact we're probably worse.

"There's two matches left and we have to try to win a game, that's what we have to do.

Alistair Cook with a brilliant and incisive take on this disaster, no mention how at the moment he's an absolute useless captain and a very poor batsman.

This must be England's worst tour ever. You can't get any worse than losing every match. So...0-8 in results, three non-injured players home, divisions involving the highest-profile player, poor leadership and brutally outclassed.

John Etheridge - The Sun.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Australia 244-3 (40 overs)

Won with 10 overs to spare in a 50 over match...:shock:

Let's examine the two England main strike bowlers' match figures....
Jordan.. 9-0-56-1......6.222 runs per over conceded
Broad... 8-0-61-0......7.625 runs per over conceded

*******************************************************************************************

However England have one bright and shining light of joy to light up the gloom...:D:D:D

Women's Ashes 2014...First ODI

Australia 209-3 (50 Overs)
Blackwell 82 not out
Perry 65 not out

England 210-3 46.5 Overs)
Greenway 69 not out
Brindle 64 not out

England add the points for this win to the points gained for winning the one-off Test Match.

Interesting fact...

Both sides recovered from exactly the same score of 68-3 to put on century unbeaten stands.

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
From what I saw today, England are severely lacking quality leadership. I would go as far to say Alistair Cook couldn't direct traffic, never mind captain his Country.

Just read on BBC Text that Cook might stand down as ODI Captain. If he does, who replaces him?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
From what I saw today, England are severely lacking quality leadership. I would go as far to say Alistair Cook couldn't direct traffic, never mind captain his Country.

Has Cook also tried to develop a new way to attempting to take slip catches by the use of his ankles rather than his hands ?
Just read on BBC Text that Cook might stand down as ODI Captain. If he does, who replaces him?

I can think of a very experienced 34 year old captain, well versed in opening the batting in all forms of cricket and with good technical skills and a sound temperament.

The name....Charlotte Edwards...:roll:

Last edited:
It's like tiny little scraps of positives. That's all.

Stokes in the test series, Broad's bowling was ok at times

Bopara's bowling has been very controlled and underrated, in the one dayers, his delivery to Clarke was superb and Bresnan's batting has been good along with Morgans batting.

That's it! What a pathetic tour.

You've got to give full credit to the Australians. Dominant in every department.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
A two division Test system for the ten senior international countries, incorporating both promotion and relegation, is one matter said to be on the agenda for discussion at the two-day International Cricket Council's executive board meeting that will be held on 28/29 January.

Looks like England are trying their utmost to achieve second-division status on current form....<(

gswindale

However Australia, England & India would be exempt from relegation according to a report on the BBC.

Presumably this could mean SA and Pakistan could top the rankings and still be relegated?

Not a good plan if you ask me.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
However Australia, England & India would be exempt from relegation according to a report on the BBC.

That is an absolute disgrace, if true, and one that would be most unfair to the other countries. Match results that would count towards any points in such a league table system should be the only method used. Reports such as this appears to show that the governing body still seem to assume that British Raj is still in existence.

Can you imagine how the fear of relegation would act as a spur to ensure that England at the present time would be stirred out of the current miasma of complacency that now afflicts them.

There seems to be no problem with either promotion or relegation in the current two-division County Championship in England. Have the International Cricket Council no eyes to see this as an example.

To hear his pathetic laid-back platitudes whenever interviewed each time to explain the reasons for each latest defeat have to be heard to be believed.

DownSouth

Established Member
I think it's a fair trade. Unlike the County Championship where the bulk of the manna falls from heaven (i.e. the ECB) the Test cricket world is all subsidised by the revenue from the Australia-England, Australia-India and England-India series. Not one other Test series manages to pay the bills these days.

It's in the interests of the other seven full members to allow the subsidy from the big three to continue - and giving a little special treatment to allow that to continue is a fair trade. With the exception of maybe the South African board, they all know which side their bread's buttered and will pass the vote comfortably knowing that the alternative (total deregulation of Tests and even less subsidy from the big three) is far worse. South Africa might oppose it in debate, but they need the cash from the big three too much to vote against.

Australia may have been ranked #5 until recently, but it's a long gap from there to #6 and I don't think we would have lost a relegation playoff to Pakistan even at the worst of our 2009-2012 form slump. I do think it would be more interesting if it were six teams in each division, with Ireland and Afghanistan promoted from first class to Test division 2.

I don't think the proposal outlaws inter-division play though, we could still see things like England having a couple of matches in Sri Lanka as a warmup for India, or Australia hosting 2-3 short series against second-tier opponents in the summer leading up to a World Cup.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I do think it would be more interesting if it were six teams in each division, with Ireland and Afghanistan promoted from first class to Test division 2.

I totally agree with your view that there should be an increase in the number from 10 to 12 teams. It would allow for a more definate split between positions 6 and 7 in the list of the countries involved.

DownSouth

Established Member
Some slightly good news for England finally - they can now blame their ODI failures on playing against the world #1 team. Three wins in a row combined with New Zealand bully India at home has the #1 ranking back in Australia's hands after one year and four months without it.

I totally agree with your view that there should be an increase in the number from 10 to 12 teams. It would allow for a more definate split between positions 6 and 7 in the list of the countries involved.
I don't know whether a split below the 6th position would be any better than below the 5th position. Pakistan has floated in the middle between the front runners and the second tier for quite some time now, they are usually very poor but they have occasional brilliant matches when they stand up and take it to a top team - similar to New Zealand (NZ held England winless last year) but with the good performances being more frequent.

More details about the proposal have emerged - Australia and England would both be committed to playing each other member of the top ten at least once (for a minimum of 3 Test matches and 5 ODI matches) in the four year cycle. This makes it clear that despite the rankings for a Test Championship being split into two divisions there will still be Tests played between first tier teams and second tier teams.

Interestingly, the commitment to play all other members doesn't apply to India. I can only assume that this is due to the fact that politics sometimes gets in the way of India playing Pakistan in home/away games of any sport. International tournaments at neutral grounds are a little different - the fixture for the 2015 World Cup includes Pakistan v India at Adelaide Oval and as a stadium staff member I have a guarantee of either working on the match or reserved Platinum tickets at General Admission prices!