• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
Langer is available i see, would welcome him as new England coach even if he did once accidentally hit me in the balls.

PauloDavesi

On a more positive note, the England U19 team play in the final of the ICC U19 world cup today.
Live on Sky sports from 1pm, also audio coverage on the BBC Sounds web page and app.

As for the senior England side, the new coach and selectors would ideally not be connected to either Surrey or Esex, so no to Cook & Stewart etc.

It is good to see Thorpe was removed from his role, he did nothing to improve the the batting of the side, and was a poor influence off the field. The only coach I'd retin is Jeetan Patel who is an excellent spin bowling coach.

Class800

Established Member
Super Over today between Australia and Sri Lanka in a T20 international - it wasn't a knockout match in a tournament. What's wrong with the tie? Does anyone now if this is a new ICC rule, or if it is just a local arrangement between the two sides? Does it also apply to One Day Internationals? Rather than gimmicky super overs, I prefer the tie - and if that isn't possible, i.e. in a quarter-final for example of the world cup, my personal preference would be to go first on world rankings, then on group stage points in that tournament, then if required wickets lost, runs scored after the powerplay, most boundaries, etc. But not the cricketing equivalent of a penalty shootout! It seems the world rankings one is not usually used at all, never mind being the first tie breaker.

bspahh

Established Member
Super Over today between Australia and Sri Lanka in a T20 international - it wasn't a knockout match in a tournament. What's wrong with the tie? Does anyone now if this is a new ICC rule, or if it is just a local arrangement between the two sides? Does it also apply to One Day Internationals? Rather than gimmicky super overs, I prefer the tie - and if that isn't possible, i.e. in a quarter-final for example of the world cup, my personal preference would be to go first on world rankings, then on group stage points in that tournament, then if required wickets lost, runs scored after the powerplay, most boundaries, etc. But not the cricketing equivalent of a penalty shootout! It seems the world rankings one is not usually used at all, never mind being the first tie breaker.
I suspect that its because the gambling industry doesn't like ties.

Mikey C

Established Member
I don't mind using group performance in the tournament, but definitely not world rankings as each tournament has to be its own thing.

Class800

Established Member
I don't mind using group performance in the tournament, but definitely not world rankings as each tournament has to be its own thing.
Interesting - I just see world ranking as some kind of seeding solution to provide insight into the overall best side in case of tied standings. The thing I really dislike is the super overs - especially when it isn't a knock out game

I suspect that its because the gambling industry doesn't like ties.
I thought cricket and all sport was meant to be getting rid of its gambling issues - such as spot fixing etc. But the industry still looms large

DelW

Established Member
Surely super overs are more like extra time than they are like penalty shoot outs? The nearest equivalent of those might be overs with just one bowler and one batsman on the field (I hope I'm not giving any administrators ideas here :'().

JamesT

Established Member
Interesting - I just see world ranking as some kind of seeding solution to provide insight into the overall best side in case of tied standings. The thing I really dislike is the super overs - especially when it isn't a knock out game
World rankings as you say are useful for seeding when you’re organising qualifying or groups in a tournament.
But when you’re in a tournament itself then performance on the day should be the only criteria. Some of the finest sporting moments involve teams ranked far below their opponents beating them.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I thought cricket and all sport was meant to be getting rid of its gambling issues - such as spot fixing etc. But the industry still looms large
I'm sure in theory but the amount of money involved is hard to give up unless you have alternative source of income. I did find the story a while ago about the fake T20 tournament which had been set up purely for gambling.

Class800

Established Member
I remember a game years ago when a team needed one to win off last ball - but the batsman had the presence of mind to leave the ball as it bounced over the stumps, and secure a winning tie by one fewer wicket lost. Super overs are the future, as are TV umpires and DRS - but none of them are my preference, or really follow the traditions of the game, and how white ball games were played when they were new.

Mikey C

Established Member
World rankings as you say are useful for seeding when you’re organising qualifying or groups in a tournament.
But when you’re in a tournament itself then performance on the day should be the only criteria. Some of the finest sporting moments involve teams ranked far below their opponents beating them.
And it would mean that both teams would go into the match knowing beforehand which team would win if it was a tie

Cletus

Established Member
After Rod Marsh passing away last night, Shane Warne has also apparently also just died following a heart attack.

brad465

Established Member
This is a real shock:

Legendary Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne, one of the greatest cricketers of all time, has died of a suspected heart attack aged 52.

Warne took 708 Test wickets, the second most of all time, in 145 matches across a stellar 15-year career.
He won the 1999 50-over World Cup and claimed 293 dismissals in 194 one-day internationals between 1993 and 2005.

After retiring from international cricket in 2007, he continued to play franchise Twenty20 cricket until 2013.

GS250

Awful news. Shane Warne was a brilliant, brilliant cricketer. The bigger the game, the more he thrived.