• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross country garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Always wondered about that fine spray I often get in the face when a fast train passes through Newark... :|
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

I'd enjoy that if the fork wasnt broken... :lol:

Note the generous allocation of Biscuits for "pudding" :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Hahaha! Dontcha mean "Everyday value" these days.

Possibly, I avoid shopping in Tesco like the plague if I can, and, apart from picking up a prescription there a few weeks ago it must be over a year since I had cause to set foot in one of their stores :D

Seriously though, the proliferation of these XC voyager bashing threads seems strange... I happened to glance at an empty 221 at Manchester Pic the other morning, clearly before it had done much in the way of service (first run? About 07:40) and it looked rather nice! And as for the slight whiff of sewage... I've had that on EVERY single pendolino I've been on as well - and the public impression of those is very positive!

The Voyagers do look nice, especially from the otuside, and I can imagine that appearance wise they will look very nice on the first service of the day.

But that doesn't really excuse the other failings that become unavoidable as the day moves on!

I've never been a fan of the voyagers even back in Virgin days let alone XC, the trains are far too short and there is never enough of then to go around to lengthen them. The toilets are horrible and with most DEMU/DMUs you feel the vibrations from the engines from your seat. I concede to the fact they may well offer a more reliable, faster and punctual service. But at least with a 47 and mk2s you could almost always get a seat and the ride was a lot smoother!

I used to love Corss Country services in the 1980's and 1990's. One of my best journeys was back down the WCML in 1994 from Glasgow on a 47 + Mk2 service. There was snow on the ground passing through the Soctland and Cumbria, and as dusk fell it was so nice to be on a warm, spacious train with traditional yellow lighting watching the scenery flash past.

34D

Established Member
I don't recall Virgin offering free alcohol under XC. It was a disgusting 'snack box,' which you had a 1 in 5 chance of getting, and the catering stopped at Preston, Newcastle, Bristol and Reading.

My earliest memory of Virgin XC first class is May 2001 when I did a weekend first upgrade from Leeds to Taunton. I got a very nice breakfast and lunch, all for free, as well as a Valenta HST :)

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I have nothing to say about XC, other than I am willing to pay more and have a somewhat longer journey if it means I don't have to experience their rude staff or smelly trains. Its the free market at work :)

Rich McLean

Established Member
Today's Journey from New Street to Oxford wasn't too bad, but I admit I was sat in Coach D near the large luggage/bike area, so no smells to content with

Starmill

Veteran Member
I have nothing to say about XC, other than I am willing to pay more and have a somewhat longer journey if it means I don't have to experience their rude staff or smelly trains. Its the free market at work :)

I wouldn't call a binary choice the free market! Especially not when both offer a rotten deal for passengers (just an opinion though, obviously)!

Possibly, I avoid shopping in Tesco like the plague if I can, and, apart from picking up a prescription there a few weeks ago it must be over a year since I had cause to set foot in one of their stores :D

The Voyagers do look nice, especially from the otuside, and I can imagine that appearance wise they will look very nice on the first service of the day.

But that doesn't really excuse the other failings that become unavoidable as the day moves on!

Nope, you're right, it doesn't. Another thing... was the roof once red? Because I haven't seen one in any colour other than brown for more than a year. Is this staining or weathering? Or just filth?

On the Tesco issue, I've certainly noticed a lot of people buyin what would have been Tesco Value up until a few months ago since the rebrand. Crafty buggers. But if there is a "Tesco Value" railway product and it's not XC, what is it?

Goatboy

Established Member
A journey on Friday really highlighted the main problem with XC - it's not the Voyagers solely, it's how they operate them.

I was on a Voyager for 2 hours. The AC didn't work properly and it was absolutely rammed - just 4 coaches for a Plymouth to Leeds service. Awful. Got off at Bristol Temple Meads and ended up on another Voyager. This one had functional AC and was not rammed. The result? A pleasant journey.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
On the Tesco issue, I've certainly noticed a lot of people buyin what would have been Tesco Value up until a few months ago since the rebrand. Crafty buggers. But if there is a "Tesco Value" railway product and it's not XC, what is it?

FCC? Northern? Island Line?!!! ;)

No, it's XC!

Zoe

Established Member
The problem with the analogy? Tesco value is actually cheap.
Cheapest advance fare from Plymouth to Edinburgh is £35.50. Considering the mileage that's not bad value at all.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cheapest advance fare from Plymouth to Edinburgh is £35.50. Considering the mileage that's not bad value at all.

Though there are probably less than ten of those available every day on a few services. I believe the lowest tiers of XC advances tend to only have an allocation of one or two and only on a few services.

Butts

Veteran Member

I take it thats second class , poor value compared to an Air journey taking a fraction of the time in relative comfort.

Zoe

Established Member
I take it thats second class , poor value compared to an Air journey taking a fraction of the time in relative comfort.
It is standard yes. Plymouth Airport is now closed so it's not possible to do a direct comparisson but a quick look at a flight from Edinburgh to Exeter booked 12 weeks in advance shows the fare to be £36.89 so the fares are similar value for distance.

Butts

Veteran Member
It is standard yes. Plymouth Airport is now closed so it's not possible to do a direct comparisson but a quick look at a flight from Edinburgh to Exeter booked 12 weeks in advance shows the fare to be £36.89 so the fares are similar value for distance.

Eh......can you compare the journey times :lol:

Zoe

Established Member
Eh......can you compare the journey times
It's not as simple as which form of transport is the fastest though. It can be an inconvenience having to travel to and from the airports which don't tend to be centrally located. Then you can end up having to wait around for boarding and then for your luggage when you get to the other end. Rail can be a much more convenient option overall even though it can take considerably longer.

Goatboy

Established Member

Yea, good luck getting one of those!

As a matter of interest this post was made on an XC SuperVoyager. Full and standing and people blocking all the vestibules.

Totally fit for purpose, these Voyagers.

Butts

Veteran Member
It's not as simple as which form of transport is the fastest though. It can be an inconvenience having to travel to and from the airports which don't tend to be centrally located. Then you can end up having to wait around for boarding and then for your luggage when you get to the other end. Rail can be a much more convenient option overall even though it can take considerably longer.

Next you'll be telling me you'd rather get a Train from Aberdeen to Penzance rather than fly, or Inverness to London.

I regularly fly from Birmingham to Edinburgh and its 45 mins , over any distance this or longer Air wins every time.

Try Wick to Penzance (even with a change of Plane it's miles quicker) :p

Butts

Veteran Member
Yea, good luck getting one of those!

As a matter of interest this post was made on an XC SuperVoyager. Full and standing and people blocking all the vestibules.

Totally fit for purpose, these Voyagers.

Let the plane take the strain next time :p
Yes, I would go by rail.

What second class in a Voyager ???? :o

Butts

Veteran Member
Well, you haven't demonstrated that they're not fit for purpose... merely that there aren't actually enough of them!

Yikes.....

Compare a Voyager to an Embraer 190 - it's no contest :p
In preference to air, yes. The journeys can be done by rail without having to use Cross Country though.

You must have a lot of time on your hands :idea:

Goatboy

Established Member
Well, you haven't demonstrated that they're not fit for purpose... merely that there aren't actually enough of them!

Two units together results in a long distance IC service with no through connection meaning the catering is only in one half of the train as is the train manager. So, still not fit for purpose ;)

And how on earth do the reservations work on these damn things, just moved into a seat at Bristol Temple Meads after it said 'xxx to Bristol Temple Meads' and the person whose seat it was left. Only to be turfed out (Quite legitimately) by somebody who had booked it from Bristol.

Conventional paper reservation slips would clearly have indicated it was booked twice. Grrr!

Starmill

Veteran Member
Two units together results in a long distance IC service with no through connection meaning the catering is only in one half of the train as is the train manager. So, still not fit for purpose ;)

And how on earth do the reservations work on these damn things, just moved into a seat at Bristol Temple Meads after it said 'xxx to Bristol Temple Meads' and the person whose seat it was left. Only to be turfed out (Quite legitimately) by somebody who had booked it from Bristol.

Conventional paper reservation slips would clearly have indicated it was booked twice. Grrr!

That's back to the vestibule for you!

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Hopefully the situation might improve if IEP actually works and we get a follow on order, although those will be a horrifically bad deal PFI... even by railway industry standards.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Hopefully the situation might improve if IEP actually works and we get a follow on order, although those will be a horrifically bad deal PFI... even by railway industry standards.

Why is it that all of a sudden, in the past few months, everyone and their mother suddenly understands what PFI is and goes on about how bad it is? I've been telling people its a bad idea for years! No disrespect to yourself, I'm sure you're totally clued up, but I can't believe that the government's going on about how badly labour negotiated some of the contracts has gotten through?

Has somebody famous picked up on it and started making jokes, or has it been on a TV programme or something?

LE Greys

Established Member
Next you'll be telling me you'd rather get a Train from Aberdeen to Penzance rather than fly, or Inverness to London.

I regularly fly from Birmingham to Edinburgh and its 45 mins , over any distance this or longer Air wins every time.

Try Wick to Penzance (even with a change of Plane it's miles quicker) :p

As a matter of fact, I have done a few of these. Even ignoring the fact that I hate Heathrow with a vengance (perhaps by pretending that I'm going to Gatwick) I still tend to stick to rail. The sheer stress of having to go through airports more than cancels out my love of being in the air, so really its a fair match.

One I tried was Aberdeen-Windermere by air, returning by rail. It started to go wrong when they told me the flight was over-capacity and I might not be able to take my luggage. I was meeting my dad at the other end, and didn't have an address for the rented cottage. The check-in clerk had to lend me a pen and paper (she wouldn't take the call herself) so that I could write down the address - which I had to do one-handed while trying not to drop stuff everywhere. After an hour fretting, then finally told me my bag was on-board just as I was going up the steps. Then I had to spend half an hour finding the station at Manchester Airport, then it took ages to reach Oxenholme and change.

I hope you're not surprised I found the journey back much more relaxing.

dvboy

Established Member
I don't mind XC, they're not better or worse than any other operator to be fair, but I have learnt to avoid certain overcrowded XC trains at peaks unless I have no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.