• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross London connection times for split ticketing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent_c

Hi folks, been trying to find this everywhere, but struggling to.

I'm planning a Between the 1st and 11th of July. The plan is:

1st:Glasgow - L. Euston
3rd: L. Victoria - Portsmouth H.
11th: Return to Glasgow.

I have the tickets for the Southbound legs, and 14:30 Euston-Glasgow on the 11, how much time do I need to leave to connect in London so that if something was to go wrong on the Portsmouth/London leg I'll be covered.

I also tend to put in lots of padding... Is there a "maximum" connection time?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As I understand it, with a split across London it is not one journey, so you are not covered regardless of the amount of time you leave.

For it to be one journey it has to be contiguous.

Of course staff on the ground may well be reasonable.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry, just for the sake of clarity this relates to the return journey only? The outward is being done with a break in London for a couple of days correct?

If you purchase a through ticket from Portsmouth to Glasgow then the journey planner you use will automatically allow the minimum connection time. However for the avoidance of doubt for a London Victoria to London Euston connection the minimum time is 54 minutes the full table of connections is here.

najaB

Veteran Member
If you purchase a through ticket from Portsmouth to Glasgow then the journey planner you use will automatically allow the minimum connection time.
My understanding is that the OP has a Euston - Glasgow ticket and is looking to purchase an appropriate ticket to London.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
My understanding is that the OP has a Euston - Glasgow ticket and is looking to purchase an appropriate ticket to London.

In which case they need only allow 54 minutes as their minimum connection time.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
What tickets have you already bought?

bnm

Established Member
Appropriate ticket being Zone U1* London to Portsmouth Harbour Off Peak Return.

IanD

Established Member
As I understand it, with a split across London it is not one journey, so you are not covered regardless of the amount of time you leave.

For it to be one journey it has to be contiguous.

Of course staff on the ground may well be reasonable.

Really? Portsmouth to London Terminals and London Terminals to Glasgow is not contiguous? It has been for me in the past although I usually get the Zone U1* ticket if possible unless only transferring between nearby stations such as Kings X, St Pancras and Euston.

Appropriate ticket being Zone U1* London to Portsmouth Harbour Off Peak Return.

Or in this case as the OP already has the southbound tickets and the Northbound ticket from Euston, then a Portsmouth to London Terminals (or Zone U1* to overcome Neil W's concern about the journey being non-contiguous by covering the bit between Victoria and Euston.) would suffice. Still need to allow the 54 minutes to cross London though, despite the journey being possible in a much shorter time.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Is this correct?

Not really. The Advance fares FAQ does allow for two separate advances 'joined' by a tube single ticket. Oyster PAYG is a bit of a grey areas though. Travelling independently, such as on foot, or on a bus, and you are not covered.

(That's as far as the 2012 FAQs go, so if they've changed it might no longer be the case.)

This will be why bnm posting above is suggesting a through ticket between Portsmouth and Euston (i.e. to or from U1*); that is definitely a legitimate pair of fares.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Yes, agreed. The point is more that a U1 fare, or a paper Underground single, is definitely covered, whereas joining London Terminals fares together is not clearly defined as being acceptable, due to the nature of London terminal stations, although it can be argued that they do in fact join up.

For the sake of £3 (£2 with a Railcard), it is preferrable sometimes paying that for peace of mind.

Agent_c

What tickets have you already bought?

Glasgow for London on the 1st, and London for Portsmouth on the 3rd (I realise this isn't a split as its for different days)

For the return leg I have the Euston-Glasgow leg, but not the Portsmouth-London
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes, agreed. The point is more that a U1 fare, or a paper Underground single, is definitely covered, whereas joining London Terminals fares together is not clearly defined as being acceptable, due to the nature of London terminal stations, although it can be argued that they do in fact join up.

For the sake of £3 (£2 with a Railcard), it is preferrable sometimes paying that for peace of mind.

Ok, so I want a Portsmouth-U1, with at least 54 minutes connection time. Easy peasy, I'll probably end up with a couple of hours just in case. I have the 2 together railcard, and I'll need to actually do the transfer anyway, so that seems to make sense.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Agreed. If you have two National Rail tickets that join up at one given station (as they do if you have a U1 ticket) I don't see how there could be any get-out.

Status
Not open for further replies.