• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry - Apprentice Drivers - Multiple Depots (12/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Carl98k

It’s quite difficult to judge how you’ve done, especially as the answers aren’t always obvious. But you can only do what you can do.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Time just seemed to fly by! Can I assume it will be a fail?

Not at all. Much of the time they will be looking for quality over quantity. If say there are 20 questions, sometimes it is better to answer 15 well rather than rushing through 20-. Often many of these psychometrics deliberately give you too many to realistically answer as they want to indirectly judge how you manage under pressure.

bcfc171081

Not at all. Much of the time they will be looking for quality over quantity. If say there are 20 questions, sometimes it is better to answer 15 well rather than rushing through 20-. Often many of these psychometrics deliberately give you too many to realistically answer as they want to indirectly judge how you manage under pressure.

Ok cheers that makes me feel a bit better. Pretty sure I got most right that I answered. Think I spend too much time reading the paragraphs.

Diedinium

Anyone manage all questions??
Yeah I managed to answer all 34 in time, just about - not sure how well I did.

Some of these questions were about topics I've never even seen/thought about in regards to the railway; like the one involving ready signals for departing passenger trains... now I've never paid that much attention to platform processes while at stations, but I swear I haven't seen a guard/station manager (or whatever they're called) using a green flag/whistle to depart a train in ages? I've only ever seen them holding up a symbol card of some kind. Wondering if some of these rules are outdated or something - or maybe the process is different for stations that feature the "OFF" signs/signals for departing trains.

Carl98k

Some of these questions were about topics I've never even seen/thought about in regards to the railway; like the one involving ready signals for departing passenger trains... now I've never paid that much attention to platform processes while at stations, but I swear I haven't seen a guard/station manager (or whatever they're called) using a green flag/whistle to depart a train in ages? I've only ever seen them holding up a symbol card of some kind. Wondering if some of these rules are outdated or something - or maybe the process is different for stations that feature the "OFF" signs/signals for departing trains.
I think it’s just passage of information to see if you can get the correct answer. I wouldn’t read in to it

Diedinium

Can anyone confirm the time permitted please?
22 minutes to answer 34 questions, each set of text to read contains 3 to 4 questions to answer - you still have the text for reference with those questions, so it's less about memory, and more about your ability to interpret information.

AgentGemini

Applied - had nothing, no SCAAT or online invites. Still "application in process" :rolleyes:
Same still for the two Train Manager / Conductor roles in Birmingham advertised last November. Heard nothing back, supposedly 'in process'. I think I can consider myself out of the running for anything to do with Cross Country now I know their HR have woken up.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member

Try not to think of real world situations when doing these, although I use a green flag every time I depart Euston as that's how their dispatch process is

EmmD

Would be handy to also know, I have just passed stage 1 again with another toc.
No it doesn’t count. I have passed stage one and two already and have just had to complete this online test. It’s standard for anyone applying for a trainee driver position with XC

NUFC_DRIVER

Tests?? I only got one (Raat) which other one did you get?
Sorry yes just same as yourself plus the practice.
I also managed to register for some free tests on the OPC site as a trial which I carried out beforehand for further practice. Worthwhile doing if your interested..

bcfc171081

Sorry yes just same as yourself plus the practice.
I also managed to register for some free tests on the OPC site as a trial which I carried out beforehand for further practice. Worthwhile doing if your interested..

Ah cheers I’ll have a look

NUFC_DRIVER

Ah cheers I’ll have a look
They’ve emailed me quite a few now. All different . Some easy and some hard but as they are free they are worthwhile doing.
Quite similar to some of the stuff different TOCs give you and what you may receive at psychometrics.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I believe their needs have changed, again. They require drivers in Birmingham.
That's interesting, a former colleague is currently on a course for Birmingham. Does this mean no more vacancies at other depots that they advertised for do you know?

D Rivers

That's interesting, a former colleague is currently on a course for Birmingham. Does this mean no more vacancies at other depots that they advertised for do you know?
I don’t know. They have 2 cohorts left to fill this year. I believe priority will be Birmingham for the first. (Even though Birmingham wasn’t on the advert!)

Diedinium

I don’t know. They have 2 cohorts left to fill this year. I believe priority will be Birmingham for the first. (Even though Birmingham wasn’t on the advert!)
Wait, does that mean they're not going to be hiring for Bristol like in the advert? If so I'm pretty screwed since that's the only one I'm within 60 mins of! I guess they must be, otherwise my application wouldn't have gotten to this point?

Newapplicant

They have 2 cohorts left to fill this year. I believe priority will be Birmingham for the first. (Even though Birmingham wasn’t on the advert!)

Whilst that is handy to know it doesn't make the news any easier to swallow as it sounds as though those who aren't as close to that region will be getting cut from the process. (I'm not saying that this IS THE CASE - I'm just voicing my opinion of the situation)

If this is the case then it may explain their delay in sending out invitations to assessments or advising those who haven't made the grade whilst they work out what they're doing.

I guess I'll just keep sitting on my hands and wait to hear what the outcome is.

Status
Not open for further replies.