• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry - Apprentice Drivers - Multiple Depots (12/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernTech

They did this last year, no one seemed to be progressed, a couple of people were heard of securing roles very quickly then it went silent. It didn’t seem to follow a pattern of online test, invite to psychometric tests, DMI etc..they just seemed like they were already in the system, possibly a talent pool from the past.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EmmD

I don’t know. They have 2 cohorts left to fill this year. I believe priority will be Birmingham for the first. (Even though Birmingham wasn’t on the advert!)
That is not correct information. They have 3 left for this year and there are positions for each depot on there. Birmingham just has more positions to fill.

bcfc171081

I don’t know. They have 2 cohorts left to fill this year. I believe priority will be Birmingham for the first. (Even though Birmingham wasn’t on the advert!)

That makes no sense tho. As most of the Bristol applicants on here were put through to raat? Guess we’ll just have to see what happens.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
They did this last year, no one seemed to be progressed, a couple of people were heard of securing roles very quickly then it went silent. It didn’t seem to follow a pattern of online test, invite to psychometric tests, DMI etc..they just seemed like they were already in the system, possibly a talent pool from the past.

Well the number of people applying will always far outstrip the actual vacancies. So some people are progressed quickly and others on hold.

Diedinium

Since this is the first time I've got as far as doing an online test; what sort of stages are usually next in the recruitment process?

I've heard about the psychometrics, but what tests does this usually consist of?

Since this is probably a common topic, if anyone can link to somewhere this has been discussed before I'd really appreciate it.

Carl98k

It may be dependent on those that have already passed psychometric testing. It makes business sense to push those through that have already passed said tests.

Ashley872

Afternoon all, hope you are well!
Has anybody had their results back yet for the RAAT? Filled mine in on Friday and still waiting to hear back.

bcfc171081

Afternoon all, hope you are well!
Has anybody had their results back yet for the RAAT? Filled mine in on Friday and still waiting to hear back.

No but deadline was today 5pm so guess they’ll wait till that for everyone to have a chance to do.

I haven't heard anything at all, had no email regarding even the online tests, all i've had is 2 emails regarding the processing of the applications. I hope I still have a chance, I have 17 years experience in the railway so i'm hoping something positive happens.

NorthernTech

I haven't heard anything at all, had no email regarding even the online tests, all i've had is 2 emails regarding the processing of the applications. I hope I still have a chance, I have 17 years experience in the railway so i'm hoping something positive happens.
I’ve not even had that. Shows application in process in portal, never had a single email, not even one to confirm receipt of application. I’ve tried emailing them, pointless…no response.

I wonder if the Birmingham places will be taken up by those who applied to Birmingham last year or if XC take from applicants from the recent Derby and Leicester drive who might reside within a 1 hour commute of New Street?

AgentGemini

Well this is news. I live within 45mins of Birmingham NS and still have heard nothing. East Shropshire/Staff border resident. I would reckon they are using past talent pool first.

ratbag

Cross Country are the rear end of recruitment in the train operating companies sphere. They have what effectively amounts to a "I can't be bothered" attitude for applicants who do not make the grade. Having a system that allows them to send out 100's of generic email informing the applicant they have been unsuccessful, is too much work for the lazy sods in personnel. This is a simple fact, and I've been told this by staff who work for Cross Country. Via the DB portal, recruitment can update portals for those who have not made the grade at a touch of few buttons.

For Cross Country recruitment to send out 150 emails at a time, for 30,000 applicants = 200 times they must must send out not successful emails in packages, which I've been told is 180 minutes work. This is an automatic process if as they should, have reviewed each application. This is too time consuming for Cross Country recruitment, and eats into their Starbucks coffee break, when in reality Cross Country are not reviewing all applications and only select a handful. This leaves those they have not reviewed in what is otherwise known as Application in Process hell, where the status never changes.

I've also been told for job roles where they receive 200 applications for a cleaning job, they cant even be bother to send out 2 batches of emails, informing unsuccessful applicants. which takes but a few minutes. Do Cross Country recruitment care? Why should they when they've been following this process for years, and never get called out for doing so by senior management. I'm currently in a talent pool position, and every TOC I have applied for have replied, and at the very minimum with a few months break, they have all replied back.

I don't demand a job, but expect at the very minimum a level of courtesy and professionalism by Cross Country to at least reply to you regarding a job application. I'm university educated so my applications are at least of average standard, yet after 3 applications in 4 years, I have always been left at Application in process in the portal, and no update or reply. In the 21st century and the technology available, Cross Country's recruitment can only be described as ####!

For those still waiting for correspondence from Cross Country? It's purely a lottery.

NorthernTech

Cross Country are the rear end of recruitment in the train operating companies sphere. They have what effectively amounts to a "I can't be bothered" attitude for applicants who do not make the grade. Having a system that allows them to send out 100's of generic email informing the applicant they have been unsuccessful, is too much work for the lazy sods in personnel. This is a simple fact, and I've been told this by staff who work for Cross Country. Via the DB portal, recruitment can update portals for those who have not made the grade at a touch of few buttons.

For Cross Country recruitment to send out 150 emails at a time, for 30,000 applicants = 200 times they must must send out not successful emails in packages, which I've been told is 180 minutes work. This is an automatic process if as they should, have reviewed each application. This is too time consuming for Cross Country recruitment, and eats into their Starbucks coffee break, when in reality Cross Country are not reviewing all applications and only select a handful. This leaves those they have not reviewed in what is otherwise known as Application in Process hell, where the status never changes.

I've also been told for job roles where they receive 200 applications for a cleaning job, they cant even be bother to send out 2 batches of emails, informing unsuccessful applicants. which takes but a few minutes. Do Cross Country recruitment care? Why should they when they've been following this process for years, and never get called out for doing so by senior management. I'm currently in a talent pool position, and every TOC I have applied for have replied, and at the very minimum with a few months break, they have all replied back.

I don't demand a job, but expect at the very minimum a level of courtesy and professionalism by Cross Country to at least reply to you regarding a job application. I'm university educated so my applications are at least of average standard, yet after 3 applications in 4 years, I have always been left at Application in process in the portal, and no update or reply. In the 21st century and the technology available, Cross Country's recruitment can only be described as ####!

For those still waiting for correspondence from Cross Country? It's purely a lottery.
That seems to fit judging by the very random nature of emails that only some have received. If that has come from someone at Crosscountry, as you say, then I’ll definitely not waste my time with them in future, and concentrate on those companies who do at least get in touch, albeit occasionally. Railway recruitment is poor at the best of times, but these lot are at a different level.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Whilst it can certainly seem like a lottery, pretty much any job on the railway is the same.

Yes, you may get more communication from some TOCs than others, but ultimately the prize is a dream job for most people.

I understand the frustration, it took 18 months from application to start date for me, but you need patience, resilience and perseverance to work on the railway. You may be best served showing any frustration somewhere the TOCs can't see it.

Ashley872

Hmm, I really hope you’re not looking for employment from them. Its never a good idea to slag off a potential employer on the internet, no matter how frustrated you are. Don’t burn your bridges.

NorthernTech

Hmm, I really hope you’re not looking for employment from them. Its never a good idea to slag off a potential employer on the internet, no matter how frustrated you are. Don’t burn your bridges.
I’m sure they will know who Ratbag is.. :lol: Unless his surname is Ratbag or similar..o_O

Last edited:

Newapplicant

Took the words right out of my mouth!

I think that it would be both foolish and naive to think that there might not be Cross Country staff who frequent this forum, or better yet members from the HR team.

@ratbag Don't burn that bridge mate, it's a **** situation to be in we all get that but voicing how you feel on an open and public forum is not the best way to vent your frustrations as it can only come back to bite you in the arse!

NorthernTech

Whilst it can certainly seem like a lottery, pretty much any job on the railway is the same.

Yes, you may get more communication from some TOCs than others, but ultimately the prize is a dream job for most people.

I understand the frustration, it took 18 months from application to start date for me, but you need patience, resilience and perseverance to work on the railway. You may be best served showing any frustration somewhere the TOCs can't see it.
It’s not so much the time, its the random nature of the communication received, and it fits right in with what Ratbag said. If you read through the thread you will see how some people have had communication of some sort at various times, and some, like myself, have had absolutely nothing whatsoever in two applications. Some have been progressed, which is fine, and if those progressed had success emails and those not progressed had the ‘thanks but no thanks’ email then that would be ok. But some people have received ‘holding’ emails where they have been told that there is progress but it will be ’x’ number of weeks etc, and again others never received those emails. I have applied to several companies over the last few years, all of which (except Crosscountry) I received confirmation of my application, and at least something to say where I am in the application process. So, like previously mentioned, it’s extremely random and fits very well with what Ratbag said about how they choose to select candidates and leave others hanging.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
It’s not so much the time, its the random nature of the communication received, and it fits right in with what Ratbag said. If you read through the thread you will see how some people have had communication of some sort at various times, and some, like myself, have had absolutely nothing whatsoever in two applications. Some have been progressed, which is fine, and if those progressed had success emails and those not progressed had the ‘thanks but no thanks’ email then that would be ok. But some people have received ‘holding’ emails where they have been told that there is progress but it will be ’x’ number of weeks etc, and again others never received those emails. I have applied to several companies over the last few years, all of which (except Crosscountry) I received confirmation of my application, and at least something to say where I am in the application process. So, like previously mentioned, it’s extremely random and fits very well with what Ratbag said about how they choose to select candidates and leave others hanging.
I'm not disputing what has been said, I am in the exact same boat regarding emails and where I am in the application process.

All I'm suggesting is that there are skills that are required to get you through said process that are vital to the role itself, if you can't show patience and not get frustrated and lack of information received, the railway may not be suitable long term.

Not a shift goes by where I use the skills I mentioned beforehand, and those who work around me who don't necessarily have those skills, show that same level of frustration.

Thankfully there are many other TOCs that do seem to give a better standard of communication, but undoubtedly the numbers applying are huge and the focus of the recruitment team will be filling places over contacting everyone. Job ads always say something about 'if you don't hear from us' etc.

NorthernTech

I'm not disputing what has been said, I am in the exact same boat regarding emails and where I am in the application process.

All I'm suggesting is that there are skills that are required to get you through said process that are vital to the role itself, if you can't show patience and not get frustrated and lack of information received, the railway may not be suitable long term.

Not a shift goes by where I use the skills I mentioned beforehand, and those who work around me who don't necessarily have those skills, show that same level of frustration.

Thankfully there are many other TOCs that do seem to give a better standard of communication, but undoubtedly the numbers applying are huge and the focus of the recruitment team will be filling places over contacting everyone. Job ads always say something about 'if you don't hear from us' etc.
In the context of what we are discussing here it’s nothing to do with patience. If you care to read properly what has been said, it’s about the random nature of who has been contacted and who hasn’t and how they approach the whole recruitment process versus pretty much the rest of the TOC’s and FOC’s. Patience is waiting along with everyone else, and waiting to hear back for what could be months or more, but when some people get the ‘please bear with us’ type emails and others get nothing, then it fits right in with what Ratbag has heard from their recruitment teams, that they don’t reply to everyone, just choose a few to contact and leave the others hanging, which I find extremely rude and unprofessional. I’m not going to repeat myself anymore, except to say that I think people should be called out when they don’t perform to standard and Ratbag hit the nail on the head.

I had a DMI last year and then heard nothing further. No outcome, no feedback and my portal still says “assessment”.
I haven’t bombarded them with emails but have maybe sent 3 or 4 in the last year… no response at all.
I know others who had a DMI for the same depot and were told they were unsuccessful within a week, I just heard nothing either way.
Every other TOC I have applied to I’ve always had some kind of communication so I share the frustration of others

EmmD

I had a DMI last year and then heard nothing further. No outcome, no feedback and my portal still says “assessment”.
I haven’t bombarded them with emails but have maybe sent 3 or 4 in the last year… no response at all.
I know others who had a DMI for the same depot and were told they were unsuccessful within a week, I just heard nothing either way.
Every other TOC I have applied to I’ve always had some kind of communication so I share the frustration of others
Which depot was this for ?

Which depot was this for ?
I’d prefer not to say, although I’m sure I could be identified by Crosscountry if they did monitor this site.
I’m not going to add to what others have said about the Recruitment team, but no other TOC has ever just completely ignored me, especially after an interview. Even when other TOCs have no information to give regarding an update, they’ve at least sent a holding email.
The Depot Managers I had the interview with were very professional and could not have been nicer. I felt the interview went well, so disappointing to not hear anything at all.

EmmD

I’d prefer not to say, although I’m sure I could be identified by Crosscountry if they did monitor this site.
I’m not going to add to what others have said about the Recruitment team, but no other TOC has ever just completely ignored me, especially after an interview. Even when other TOCs have no information to give regarding an update, they’ve at least sent a holding email.
The Depot Managers I had the interview with were very professional and could not have been nicer. I felt the interview went well, so disappointing to not hear anything at all.
I would drop them another email to see if they are still recruiting for the depot you applied for. It’s worth one more try

I would drop them another email to see if they are still recruiting for the depot you applied for. It’s worth one more try
I sent them an email when the advert came out for this year… no response.
So I put in a new application and mentioned my previous interview in my cover letter…no response. This years application shows “application in process”

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Arriva TOCs certainly have issues with communication and response. It is not uncommon for applications to be held as "Application in Progress" for many many months with no outcome or follow up. Whilst many TOCs have delays, the lack of any response any way (positive / negative / on hold) after what should be considered a reasonable amount of time is naturally very frustrating. Many have reported follow up emails have led to no response too. I would suggest that they simply do not have enough personnel to keep up with the workload.

Status
Not open for further replies.