• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry - Apprentice Drivers - Multiple Depots (12/01/22)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Owen2323

I know it shows the salary after initial training but does anyone know what the salary is once fully substantive (and how long it takes to get to that stage?)

Spoke to recruitment yesterday. They don’t actually know where they want the drivers yet. He’s got a meeting with head of train crew next week!
Unbelievable.. So people could potentially be applying for the sake of it:s

NorthernTech

I think this covers most positions advertised, especially freight and those stated as talent pools. Bit of a lottery as to whether it will lead to anything at all. But you have more chance if you apply than not..

Newapplicant

Forgive me if i've misinterpreted what you've said but without wishing to sound rude I think that statement is fairly naive. Becoming a train driver, for the most part, these days is a complete lottery at the paper sift stage given how many applications are received. Once you reach interview and psychometric testing then that's where you get your fighting chance to prove that you can do what they are asking but for the paper sift it's whoever is luckiest on the day.

I dare say that everyone will apply for any train driver provided the location isn't too far away because it gives them that very small but very real fighting chance.

@NorthernTech hit the nail on the head for me "but you have more chance if you apply than not..." this is just everyone applying so that they can have their chance!

dereksingh291

On Moderation
I wonder how long it will take for Cross Country to look at the applications for these vacancies and I also wonder when they'll be inviting people to the testing and interview stages including medical? Applied for Derby.

Owen2323

Is everyone filling out the application and uploading a CV and covering letter etc as well? I haven't had that good a look at the application yet........

@ThePeakNed @NorthernTech @Newapplicant I think you’ve all misunderstood my point.

As @D Rivers said, recruitment haven’t even decided where the vacancies will be yet:
Spoke to recruitment yesterday. They don’t actually know where they want the drivers yet. He’s got a meeting with head of train crew next week!

So why waste peoples time giving a list of [potential] locations to apply for if potentially, the jobs don’t even exist at said depots?

NorthernTech

@ThePeakNed @NorthernTech @Newapplicant I think you’ve all misunderstood my point.

As @D Rivers said, recruitment haven’t even decided where the vacancies will be yet:

So why waste peoples time giving a list of [potential] locations to apply for if potentially, the jobs don’t even exist at said depots?
Because, as eluded to before, it costs them little to run a campaign covering a lot of their depots to put a talent pool together to cover them for future need. The recruitment process and training takes that long they may think they have the potential for a course and new drivers and then change their mind later. Gets loads of people‘s hopes up for a job that may never happen. So apply for the job if you can, but don’t pin your life on it. If they get back to you, then maybe you begin the process.. But keep looking elsewhere and applying to see if any even go anywhere. You only have to read around the forum to see people who have got as far as passing tests, or on to a DMI or even be told they are in the talent pool for them to sit waiting for YEARS.. It happens, but the amount of posts on here of those saying ‘I applied a week ago but I’ve heard nothing yet…’ People need to get real, rail recruitment is mainly very long winded, and you may just never hear back from a recruiter. If you notice, many don’t give out their email because they don’t want to be bombarded with ‘what happening with my application’ type emails constantly

dk1

Veteran Member
Because, as eluded to before, it costs them little to run a campaign covering a lot of their depots to put a talent pool together to cover them for future need. The recruitment process and training takes that long they may think they have the potential for a course and new drivers and then change their mind later. Gets loads of people‘s hopes up for a job that may never happen. So apply for the job if you can, but don’t pin your life on it. If they get back to you, then maybe you begin the process.. But keep looking elsewhere and applying to see if any even go anywhere. You only have to read around the forum to see people who have got as far as passing tests, or on to a DMI or even be told they are in the talent pool for them to sit waiting for YEARS.. It happens, but the amount of posts on here of those saying ‘I applied a week ago but I’ve heard nothing yet…’ People need to get real, rail recruitment is mainly very long winded, and you may just never hear back from a recruiter. If you notice, many don’t give out their email because they don’t want to be bombarded with ‘what happening with my application’ type emails constantly
I’ve even know some start pestering TOCs Twitter feeds for updates. What’s that all about? You just have to be very patient in many cases these days.

NorthernTech

I’ve even know some start pestering TOCs Twitter feeds for updates. What’s that all about? You just have to be very patient in many cases these days.
Yeah I’m not surprised at all. If the TOC or FOC required drivers quickly they wouldn’t be posting for trainees, the time taken to recruit, begin and finish training to get a driver in the cab is gonna be a long time, in some cases I’d say about 2 years from posting the advert, happy to be corrected on that but it seems a good estimate. So the recruiter has to forecast when they need to fill ‘potential’ future vacancies, I can’t imagine that is easy. They won’t have placed an advert if they didn’t think they may at least need some names to work with.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yeah I’m not surprised at all. If the TOC or FOC required drivers quickly they wouldn’t be posting for trainees, the time taken to recruit, begin and finish training to get a driver in the cab is gonna be a long time, in some cases I’d say about 2 years from posting the advert, happy to be corrected on that but it seems a good estimate. So the recruiter has to forecast when they need to fill ‘potential’ future vacancies, I can’t imagine that is easy. They won’t have placed an advert if they didn’t think they may at least need some names to work with.
Sounds about right from what I’ve been told by others. In fact, until a round 2017 I had never heard of ‘talent pools’ but these companies can now really pick & choose who they wish to recruit.

I’m fully aware how long talent pools can last..

My point is that the recruiter will only have a “talent pool” of candidates once them people have been shortlisted, interviewed, then put into it.

To interview people takes up managements time and money. Therefore, they won’t be interviewing people [or making talent pools] for jobs that don’t exist!

It’s a waste of peoples time to advertise for locations/depots that you have no intention of interviewing for, leaving candidates ghosted and people frustrated, perhaps meaning they don’t bother applying again in future.

Stigy

Established Member
To interview people takes up managements time and money. Therefore, they won’t be interviewing people [or making talent pools] for jobs that don’t exist!

It’s a waste of peoples time to advertise for locations/depots that you have no intention of interviewing for, leaving candidates ghosted and people frustrated, perhaps meaning they don’t bother applying again in future.
TOCs/FOCs quite often advertise for talent pools for jobs that don’t yet exist (that’s the whole idea of a talent pool usually). You only have to look at GWR and Freightliner to see this. Talent pools are generally introduced to take in to account prospective recruitment due to increasing establishment/retirement etc. If the vacancies already existed, it would be easier just to advertise for jobs rather than talent pools.

You can almost guaranty there will be far more people in pools than there are any vacancies either now, or will be in the future. It obviously makes financial sense to them.

Diedinium

Has anyone else received the “application received” email? Says to expect a response in 2-4 weeks.
Yep I got the same. Pretty sure everyone will get that and they'll start filtering people out next.

Fingers crossed I guess at this point lol

Legion

I did not get an email but my application status changed from ''received'' to ''in process''.

Efini92

Established Member
I’m fully aware how long talent pools can last..

My point is that the recruiter will only have a “talent pool” of candidates once them people have been shortlisted, interviewed, then put into it.

There’s a lot leaving XC so it’s not a case of there’s no jobs at the minute it’s HR deciding where to place candidates to cover the shortfall.

dk1

Veteran Member
There’s a lot leaving XC so it’s not a case of there’s no jobs at the minute it’s HR deciding where to place candidates to cover the shortfall.
Sounds like when Virgin lost XC in 07. There was a mass exodus to VWC & personally couldn’t blame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.