• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry Voyager fire Derby 18 Jul 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Short forms at the min loss of 2 5 cars and 1 4 cars. Recently suffering from short forms
I guess that explains the sudden increase in HST usage on Manchester - Birmingham services over the last few months

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member
I guess that explains the sudden increase in HST usage on Manchester - Birmingham services over the last few months
No, any use of HSTs between Birmingham and Manchester this year has been the result of disruption further south (Plus one that was excessively late arriving in Birmingham). It gives them a fill in turn before heading back north back on their original diagram, rather than standing idle for six hours or so.

sprinterguy

Established Member
This year XC lost 3 voyagers.

221127 Derby fire
220032 Brockenhurst fire
221132 hitting a deer.
How is having 3 sets (Voyagers) out of service affecting potential service levels at the moment?
220032 and 221132 are back in service. 221127, the victim of the Derby fire, is the only long term 'casualty'.

Last edited:

Established Member
Over Christmas a first class vehicle out of a voyager set has landed at Loram in Derby. Guessing by the fact it has very little underneath it I would think its the one out of 221127.

GW43125

Established Member
Apologies for bumping this thread, but is 221127 back in service/written off/under repair now?
Thanks.

Established Member
Apologies for bumping this thread, but is 221127 back in service/written off/under repair now?
Thanks.
Under repair still. If it wasn't a driving vehicle the coach would have been written off. The damage and cost to repair is phenomenal.

xc170

Is the damage confined to the engine area or did the fire reach the passenger saloon?

Llama

Established Member
Burnt through the floor, or was the floor partly removed by the fire service to make sure that no pockets of fire remained as is often the case with a serious underfloor fire? It would've had to be a very serious fire to have burnt its way through into the saloon.

xc170

Burnt through the floor, or was the floor partly removed by the fire service to make sure that no pockets of fire remained as is often the case with a serious underfloor fire? It would've had to be a very serious fire to have burnt its way through into the saloon.

I'm guessing you're correct about it being removed as from the exterior the photos don't look any worse than most other engine fires... I'm willing to be corrected though.

Status
Not open for further replies.