• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - you can now reserve your seat just TEN MINUTES BEFORE TRAVEL by text!

Status
Not open for further replies.

All Line Rover

Established Member
CrossCountry have introduced "Ten minute reservations." It allows you to make a seat reservation for CrossCountry services by text just ten minutes before travel, for both First and Standard Class.

Certain seats on each train will say: "This seat MAY be reserved between..." (I noticed this yesterday but didn't know what was going on.) When a seat is reserved, it will change to the usual: "This seat is reserved between..."

This system does create some obvious flaws, however. For example, because a reservation can be made after a train has left its origin station, certain customers may sit in a "this may MAY be reserved" seat, which suddenly changes to a "this seat IS reserved" seat halfway through the journey!

On the other hand, if seats could only be reserved before the train has left its origin station, this would also create problems since many trains come from Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Plymouth or Bournemouth! For example, the 11:12 Birmingham to Bristol service leaves Edinburgh at 06:06 in the morning! :o

Ten minute reservations don't apply to Advance tickets either. I have no idea how this could be enforced, since no ticket is required to make a "ten minute reservation."

The system also seems open to vandalism, since someone (whose mobile phone plan has plenty of free text messages) could effectively reserve all of the "ten minute reservation" seats on every train!

More information can be found here: http://www.crosscountrytrains.co.uk/TenMinuteReservations/.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
this is not a step in the right direction at all and is likely to cause all sorts of arguments onboard

Clearly thought up by some idiot who does not use trains

SS4

Established Member
Like communism it's a sound idea on paper but doesn't work in the real world, it is heavily implied that they'll start charging once the trial is over and the results have been evaluated.
Would have been nice if you could reserve seats in the quiet zone specifically (may email XC about that actually if I remember after dinner lol)

Agreed on the point on not needing a ticket (presumably there is no real way to check your validity anyway) which renders it open to vandalism - there seems to be nothing stopping me reserving a seat for BHM-DBY.

lyesbkz

Certain seats on each train will say: "This seat MAY be reserved between..." (I noticed this yesterday but didn't know what was going on.) When a seat is reserved, it will change to the usual: "This seat is reserved between..."

Or, more likely, the screens will be blank and not working, as I find them on most XC journeys I make.

This might seem like a good idea if their reservations worked to start with.

That said, it's a first, a nice attempt and may lead to other TOCs following suit.

All Line Rover

Established Member
this is not a step in the right direction at all and is likely to cause all sorts of arguments onboard

Clearly thought up by some idiot who does not use trains

By "step in the right direction", I'm implying that it's not perfect but could lead to something that is better than the current system. ;)

All Line Rover

Established Member
Like communism it's a sound idea on paper but doesn't work in the real world, it is heavily implied that they'll start charging once the trial is over and the results have been evaluated.

Where is it implied that they'll start charging for it?

If they started charging 25p per reservation I'd have no objection - 25p is more than reasonable to reserve a seat at the last minute (after all, there must be some cost to implement the system) and it would also stop people from vandalizing the system by making multiple reservations.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't like being turfed out of my seat by someone who has reserved it after I sat in it

That is why it may have to be changed to only reserving seats before the train has actually started.

This system would work best on Virgin Trains between London and Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham. The maximum journey time is around 2 hours, so asking people to make a reservation before the train starts is not unreasonable.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I don't like being turfed out of my seat by someone who has reserved it after I sat in it

This.

If there was a way for the system to know that a seat was empty when it made the reservation then I wouldn't mind, but to reserve a seat that someone is already sitting in and wasn't reserved when they first sat in it seems to be asking for trouble and just not cricket.

All Line Rover

Established Member
It's not difficult to see CrossCountry slowly moving toward a time when you must reserve a seat before travelling. "After all", they might say, "you only have to reserve a seat 10 minutes beforehand."

They could equip FastTicket machines to also act as "seat reservation terminals." To prevent vandalism, you would have to insert your ticket before travelling. To prevent someone making a reservation and then not travelling, you could limit it to one reservation per ticket. If a train is fully reserved, then you can't travel. At least people wouldn't be able to complain about having to stand!

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
This.

If there was a way for the system to know that a seat was empty when it made the reservation then I wouldn't mind, but to reserve a seat that someone is already sitting in and wasn't reserved when they first sat in it seems to be asking for trouble and just not cricket.

Agreed ainsworth, XC are lining themselves up for a big hit with this because this is stupid!

Say I am sitting on a seat from Edinburgh on an early morning going down to, I dunno, Plymouth that wasnt reserved and then, here comes a person who says halfway down the journey on a packed service that I am in their seat. I can argue that it's not because it has been available since the start of my journey but then he can go and get the guard. What is he going to do then? I am going to say that there is no rservation, the person can say that they have and then what happens?

This is just going to lead to confusion, arguments and all sorts of hassle. Clearly, Cross Country are starting to lose the plot slightly

lyesbkz

How does the person who reserved the seat prove they did so? They won't have a reservation coupon. Am I going to be shown a SMS confirmation on some random person's mobile phone and asked to move? How do I know the text is genuine and hasn't just been typed into a Memo-style app by somebody who is tired of standing?

Minilad

Established Member
Glad i'm not a TM because they are going to have to do a lot of fire fighting IMHO
An un-workable idea I think. Oh well, another stick to beat XC with

starrymarkb

Established Member
It was a franchise commitment - much like the v slow to appear wifi!

Obviously the DfT fines for noncompliance now outweigh the agro

brompton rail

So, I get on the 06.45 Doncaster to Southampton having paid around £41.50 to go to Birmingham, and someone who is travelling on a Day Return (about £6)from Tamworth to Birmingham decides around 08.00 that they fancy reserving a seat and text for a reservation. I then have to get out of my seat at Tamworth and probably stand the last 20 minutes to Brum?

Why? What is there in this for XC, save p--sing off the passenger? Imagine I was travelling First Class and had paid £92.50. Would I move - would I hell!!

All Line Rover

Established Member
How does the person who reserved the seat prove they did so? They won't have a reservation coupon. Am I going to be shown a SMS confirmation on some random person's mobile phone and asked to move? How do I know the text is genuine and hasn't just been typed into a Memo-style app by somebody who is tired of standing?

This is all very true. Let's just remember that this is only a TRIAL - am I sure CrossCountry will have to make adjustments based on customer feedback. :)

I still don't like CrossCountry. Thank goodness that they are not my local TOC. If they were still owned by Virgin I'd probably still like them.

junglejames

Established Member
This is exactly the sort of thing in mind when virgin went for the electronic reservation system. However it cant work in the UK because we dont have a compulsory reservation system. Until we do, this cannot work.
With this system, we either have people getting turfed out of a seat, or we have people avoiding seats that say they may be reseved..... etc etc. If people start avoiding these seats, then we end up with an even worse case of overcrowding.
Stupid idea. The system is perfect as it works. If you require a seat reservation then make sure you get one at least 2hrs before the train leaves its departure point.
I have yet to hear anyone moan because they couldnt reserve a seat 10mins before the train left. Most people realise that to have the walk up/ open system we have, you need to reserve in advance. No problems.
The day we go down the path of compulsory reservations is the day my train travel reduces to the bare minimum.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
I assume you can reserve the seat you are sitting in then? If I get on a train at, say, New Street and am headed to Bournemouth then I can text to reserve the seat I am sitting in from International/Coventry/Leamington Spa (depending on where the next stop is) to Bournemouth? Can I ask the guard to do it for me?

brompton rail

I assume you can reserve the seat you are sitting in then? If I get on a train at, say, New Street and am headed to Bournemouth then I can text to reserve the seat I am sitting in from International/Coventry/Leamington Spa (depending on where the next stop is) to Bournemouth? Can I ask the guard to do it for me?

You are assuming, of course, that you can get a signal on XC!

wintonian

Established Member
So I board an XC train and the only free seats are ones that say they may be reserved so do I either stand for the whole trip thinking that any moment now that might be someone else’s seat or do I sit in it only to be told to move 10 minutes later?

I also assume in theory that these reservations can be made by people on the train by someone who has just lost their seat due to someone sending a text who has just had their seat reserved by someone send in a text etc. etc..

Well I'm just going to sit in the seat and if it gets reserved and I am asked to move then tough, I'm not going to.

We could end up with utter chaos and the BTP being employed as seat marshals – ok that may be a bit extreme but in theory.

How do you know you will get the seat you are sitting in?

FGWman

Maybe they could designate one of their coaches as being reservable at any time. They could then put labels on the outside warning people sitting in that coah that if they sit there someone could reserve the seat during the journey.

People could then have the choice to sit there knowing that might happen or sit in one of the other three coaches knowing they would be safe.

Lampshade

Established Member
This is all very true. Let's just remember that this is only a TRIAL - am I sure CrossCountry will have to make adjustments based on customer feedback. :)

I still don't like CrossCountry. Thank goodness that they are not my local TOC. If they were still owned by Virgin I'd probably still like them.

Yes but trials have a nasty habit of staying whether customers like it or not.

What if the standing passengers make 'ten minute reservations' so the train is fully reserved by the time it gets to the stop the 'ten minute reservations' were intended for? Also on Voyagers, I expect a lot of "Bugger off!" from disgruntled passengers.

All Line Rover

Established Member
How do you know you will get the seat you are sitting in?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Why don't CrossCountry simply install some sort of button on these "reservable" seats? Every press of the button signifies a station - so, for example, if you are travelling from Birmingham to Derby and the train stops at Tamworth and Burton-on-Trent, you press the button three times (Tamworth, Burton-on-Trent and Derby) to prevent the seat from being reserved between those stations.

That seems like a fairly good solution in my opinion.
Maybe they could designate one of their coaches as being reservable at any time. They could then put labels on the outside warning people sitting in that coah that if they sit there someone could reserve the seat during the journey.

People could then have the choice to sit there knowing that might happen or sit in one of the other three coaches knowing they would be safe.

And then Standard Class capacity is reduced by 25% and 33%! It also wouldn't work for First Class.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
To prevent someone making a reservation and then not travelling, you could limit it to one reservation per ticket. If a train is fully reserved, then you can't travel.

You can't simply deny someone access to a service which still has room on it, even if it is standing room. The customer may be perfectly happy to board the train, even if they have to stand!

You'd then, in some cases, have to organise buses/taxis home for stranded passengers.....ching! £££

wintonian

Established Member
How to use on board

On our Voyager trains you will find your seat reservations in the electronic seat reservation display system. On our other services, they will be printed out and placed into the seat back holders. If there are problems with your seat reservation, please speak to the Train Manager or Senior Conductor.

I assume the guards will have a printer and will walking up and down the train putting out seat labels?

starrymarkb

Established Member
How does that work with fully reserved services on the continent? - If you had a flexible ticket but the last TGV from Lille to Nice that you want to catch has sold out would SNCF taxi you?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
it has just occurred to me that this is inspired by Arriva's parent DB. DB have some seats on ICEs which say 'may be reserved', it's less than one coach on a 7/8 coach ICE and it is only available for some bahncard customers (not me). Trying to do this on a 4/5 coach voyager which has a much lower capacity and opening it up to everyone is insanity

Pumbaa

Established Member
I assume the guards will have a printer and will walking up and down the train putting out seat labels?

I think it's done on ticket stock by Avantix.

This has been around for a while now, able to be done by phone and at station, it's just now they've introduced the ability to text and reserve.

12CSVT

Established Member
It's not difficult to see CrossCountry slowly moving toward a time when you must reserve a seat before travelling. "After all", they might say, "you only have to reserve a seat 10 minutes beforehand."

They could equip FastTicket machines to also act as "seat reservation terminals." To prevent vandalism, you would have to insert your ticket before travelling. To prevent someone making a reservation and then not travelling, you could limit it to one reservation per ticket. If a train is fully reserved, then you can't travel. At least people wouldn't be able to complain about having to stand!

Let's hope this never happens - I'd much rather stand than not be allowed to travel. And as for compulsory reservations, XC should only be allowed to do this if they extend all their voyagers to 20 coaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.