• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
Not that friendly in terms of through journey opportunities then, would have thought that at the very least there would be through trains from each Western arm to each Eastern arm, so that journeys such as Maidenhead to Canary Wharf or Heathrow to Stratford would be possible. Its all very well being able to change, and I acknowledge the services will be frequent, but a through service is even better.

sjoh

Not that friendly in terms of through journey opportunities then, would have thought that at the very least there would be through trains from each Western arm to each Eastern arm, so that journeys such as Maidenhead to Canary Wharf or Heathrow to Stratford would be possible. Its all very well being able to change, and I acknowledge the services will be frequent, but a through service is even better.

Well, given that in the initial prospectus they were raving about direct trains from Stratford to Heathrow, I'd say it's nothing less than misrepresentation at best.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It'll be interesting to see whether passengers are encouraged, or, on the other hand, discouraged from changing at certain stations, perhaps according to the time of day.

JW16

I'm surprised no Heathrow trains to anywhere between Stratford and Shenfield without a change.

I expect many City commuters living between Gidea Park and Stratford who work in EC3 will aim to catch the limited peak trains into Liverpool Street High Level. I can see those trains being very busy and one every 15 minutes may not be enough.

berneyarms

Established Member
I'm surprised no Heathrow trains to anywhere between Stratford and Shenfield without a change.

I expect many City commuters living between Gidea Park and Stratford who work in EC3 will aim to catch the limited peak trains into Liverpool Street High Level. I can see those trains being very busy and one every 15 minutes may not be enough.

What difference would it make to go to the higher or lower level?

Surely people will take the first available train - with 12 trains an hour to lower level I can't see too many people saying "Oh I'll wait for another 15 mins" to go to the higher level.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Higher level trains will be faster, with one stop less and possibly a shorter walk at the Liv St end, so it may become a service of choice to some, but I doubt they would opt to skip a low level service just to make it.

sjoh

Possibly more chance of getting a seat on the peak extras (although that's probably rather optimistic).

JW16

What difference would it make to go to the higher or lower level?

Surely people will take the first available train - with 12 trains an hour to lower level I can't see too many people saying "Oh I'll wait for another 15 mins" to go to the higher level.

More chance of getting a seat in the morning (as they only start at Gidea Park) and high level might be much closer to their office.

berneyarms

Established Member
More chance of getting a seat in the morning (as they only start at Gidea Park) and high level might be much closer to their office.

Fair enough - but I don't think enough people are going to wait an extended period just to get a seat to warrant a higher frequency, given the 12 trains an hour to Lower Level.

hwl

Established Member
I note that Paddington-Abbey Wood is both 'peak and off peak' and 'peak only'. What's that supposed to mean?
Each line represents either 4tph (thick) or 2tph (thin)
So in the case of Paddington - Abbey Wood
4tph all day and an extra 2tph extra peak only so 6tph in the peak and 4tph off peak.

Last edited:

hwl

Established Member
Given the large donation by Canary Wharf group Abbey Wood - Heathrow 4tph is the core service everything else is planned around.

Given it is same platform interchange with level boarding at many stations changing trains shouldn't be an issue. Mixing the Eastern and Western arms effectively halves the service level and creates more services and makes it harder to handle disruption which is very un-TfL like.

berneyarms

Established Member
In summary the diagram represents:

Shenfield - Reading - 2 tph
Shenfield - Maidenhead - 2 tph
Shenfield - Paddington - 4 tph off-peak; 8 tph peak
Gidea Wood - Liverpool St High Level - 4 tph peak only

Abbey Wood - Heathrow - 4 tph
Abbey Wood - Paddington - 4 tph off-peak; 6 tph peak
Abbey Wood - West Drayton - 2 tph peak only

That means between Paddington & Whitechapel - 16 tph off-peak & 24 tph peak

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
Given the large donation by Canary Wharf group Abbey Wood - Heathrow 4tph is the core service everything else is planned around.

Given it is same platform interchange with level boarding at many stations changing trains shouldn't be an issue. Mixing the Eastern and Western arms effectively halves the service level and creates more services and makes it harder to handle disruption which is very un-TfL like.

Indeed. This way will stop issues on the 'branches' affecting everything.

It's not really that different to the District really.

pdeaves

Established Member
Each line represents either 4tph (thick) or 2tph (thin)
So in the case of Paddington - Abbey Wood
4tph all day and an extra 2tph extra peak only so 6tph in the peak and 4tph off peak.

Thanks (and to cawston). I am a numpty for not seeing/registering the key top right!

ijmad

Established Member
Do we know if the trains between Shenfield and Liverpool St High Level will be fully branded as Elizabeth Line services?

Interested to know how they'll be signed and announced if so. Presumably "This is an Elizabeth Line service to Liverpool Street" but something about not calling at Whitechapel too, I guess.

AM9

Veteran Member
Do we know if the trains between Shenfield and Liverpool St High Level will be fully branded as Elizabeth Line services?

Interested to know how they'll be signed and announced if so. Presumably "This is an Elizabeth Line service to Liverpool Street" but something about not calling at Whitechapel too, I guess.

I don't see why not. It will be a TfL service, it will look strangely like a class 345 Crossrail train, and the GEML as far out as Shenfield only has GA and Crossrail services on it so what else do you think it could be announced as?
As far as stops, well they could always announce it as they do now, i.e. all stations to Stratford then Liverpool St..

ijmad

Established Member
I don't see why not. It will be a TfL service, it will look strangely like a class 345 Crossrail train, and the GEML as far out as Shenfield only has GA and Crossrail services on it so what else do you think it could be announced as?
As far as stops, well they could always announce it as they do now, i.e. all stations to Stratford then Liverpool St..

Yeah, fair enough. Wonder how they'll be signed at the high level platforms. Suppose we'll find out soon.

ijmad

Established Member
TfL announced in a March board paper that the name Elizabeth Line will not be used until stage 3 opening, when the core tunnels first open.

TfL Rail will be used for the first two stages, which are Shenfield to Liverpool St HL, and then later Paddington HL to Heathrow at 4 tph...

Paragraph 5.14 refers:
http://content.tfl.gov.uk/board-20170329-item15-crossrail-transition-march-17.pdf

I was referring to the 4tph that will run from Shenfield in to Liverpool Street to supplement the 12tph in to the core section when the Elizabeth Line is fully in operation.

Nevertheless that is an interesting detail.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I was referring to the 4tph that will run from Shenfield in to Liverpool Street to supplement the 12tph in to the core section when the Elizabeth Line is fully in operation.

Nevertheless that is an interesting detail.

Ok, sorry, I thought it was about the imminent service, as you wrote that we would 'find out soon'.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

ijmad

Established Member
Most of these diagrams don't reflect the latest TfL proposal from 8th March 2017, along with the article explaining the changes from London Reconnections which suggests TfL want to do the following:

• Increase core to 20tph off peak
  • Reduce the number of trains terminating at Paddington to 12 (peak) / 10 (off-peak)
  • Have all trains from the western branch run to Shenfield
  • Have all trains from the Heathrow branch run to Abbey Wood
  • Raise the frequency at Reading from 2tph to 4tph, hence entirely taking over the GWR relief lines for Elizabeth Line services
A diagram that London Reconnections made is here:

ElizabethLine.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.