• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
A silly one, just to -- maybe -- get things started: Muncaster Mill (Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway). I "must" -- that word is, I believe, "mun" in the dialect of those parts; "c" -- applied to oneself, for some reason ("cwestion-setter" <D ?); "aster" -- "has to": do whatever it is, to get the mill working.

Trying to work it out - Take a break - rest maybe, ten pastry treats, vol au vents maybe

No sorry still totally baffled.

perryman

From the 'ten pastry' reference I think it's Prestatyn but I can't work out the answer from the first set of clues even though I think I know the answer...

Calthrop

Established Member
Now that everyone else has performed the toil -- I'm reckoning that if one says "Prestatyn"; it sounds rather like the answer to a query as to how the owner of an appliance makes it work: instruction, "press that in". (My own mind, working solo, would never have come up with that.)

plymothian

From the 'ten pastry' reference I think it's Prestatyn but I can't work out the answer from the first set of clues even though I think I know the answer...
Now that everyone else has performed the toil -- I'm reckoning that if one says "Prestatyn"; it sounds rather like the answer to a query as to how the owner of an appliance makes it work: instruction, "press that in". (My own mind, working solo, would never have come up with that.)

Yes and yes.

Calthrop

Established Member
With things thus: hopefully, people OK with my using the "open floor", to try:

One might read: way of desiring against which we are admonished, not very far from tragic ship's birthplace.

ls2270

Established Member
With things thus: hopefully, people OK with my using the "open floor", to try:

One might read: way of desiring against which we are admonished, not very far from tragic ship's birthplace.
University (Northern Ireland)?

Calthrop

Established Member
Folk are on the right track; but the Titanic allusion was just to indicate that the station is in that part of Ulster -- not actually in Belfast city.

plymothian

No, not Acton, though it might help if I had not missed out 2 words from the clue.

The reason for going to Clacton but you're a bit far in land.