• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well aside the fact they must be costing an absolute fortune, 2 new Loco's to hire 2 sets of drivers, I gather the 2.5 coach seating capacity is also now inadequate on some services.

I find it hard to believe there isn't a satisfactory work-around that can't be brought to bear on the train length issue. I don't understand why a trailing locomotive even has to be in the platform.

Tringonometry

The first train off Carlisle in the new TT, 2C38, on May 21 deps at 05.53 and does not arrive at Sellafield until 07.22.

I thought the trains were scheduled to arrive for the day shift workers. The early morning off Barrow is to the current schedule, so what's going on? Is this still to be LHCS?

Whatever, the later trains and the Sunday service are a fantastic improvement for the line and the entire area. Provided they deliver, that is. Will be interesting to see the station user figures as a result of this enhancement.

0616CARBIF is the first Up LHCS.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
0616CARBIF is the first Up LHCS.

So what time does the day shift start at Sellafield - or are they on some sort of flexi-time, and able to adjust according to the rail timetable - at least to some extent?
Sunday service is really revolutionary. Probably better (bar the missing early morning trains) the the weekday service in the 1990s.

Tringonometry

So what time does the day shift start at Sellafield - or are they on some sort of flexi-time, and able to adjust according to the rail timetable - at least to some extent?
Sunday service is really revolutionary. Probably better (bar the missing early morning trains) the the weekday service in the 1990s.

Not sure about Sellafield shifts, but that 0616 is the third Up train of the day, so there are decent options.

I'm looking forward to proper Sunday jobs. The existing ones are looong and dulllll.

Not so keen on taxi back from Carlisle on two Mon-Fri late jobs, but you can't win 'em all.

randyrippley

Established Member
The rear 68 is probably 'dead in train' though, I'm guessing. randyrippley's post appears to be asking about top & tail with both locos providing power.

Exactly
The Glasgow-Edinburgh shuttles could use any pair of "blue star" MU locomotives top-and-tailed with both locos powering. The blue star connections - as I understand it - were routed through the lighting control circuits. Surely it must be possible to replicate that?

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Exactly
The Glasgow-Edinburgh shuttles could use any pair of "blue star" MU locomotives top-and-tailed with both locos powering. The blue star connections - as I understand it - were routed through the lighting control circuits. Surely it must be possible to replicate that?

Isn't the stumbling block to do with the modern day requirement for remote monitoring of loco fire suppression systems? As in 37s don't enjoy such a luxury. As has been said the loco-hauled trains have provided a boost to enthusiast interest in the line but operationally they're a complete PITA and the sooner they're gone the better for all regular commuters and operational staff alike.

stantheman

On Moderation
Do I take it from some of the posts on Monday there are still going to be some loco hauled from May ? If so . 37 or 68 ?

Tringonometry

Do I take it from some of the posts on Monday there are still going to be some loco hauled from May ? If so . 37 or 68 ?

Both afaik. Significant changes though in that most LHCS services will be limited stops, meaning they'll have sensible turnaround times at CAR and BIF. The result should be a much more robust timetable.

Enjoying a lovely day on the coast with 37402 from Preston to Bif and 68003/4 on 11.40 Bif Carlisle.l am on a break at Ravenglass.
it appears l was lucky as the 68s or stock have gone technichal on arrival in Carlisle.

Tringonometry

A 68 just failed with a battery issue at Carlisle, meaning I'm now working the 1731BIFCAR with a single 153. Hurrah.

Roose

I am sure potential passengers will welcome your arrival at their station.

Not so sure about your train...

Spartacus

Established Member
68003's fixed this morning, I'd be worried if a battery couldn't be sorted overnight!

Problems again today with 68 set. Just arrived at Carlisle ecs from Carnforth.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Be interesting to know what these carriage faults are, given the set can still move the whole route.

If it's some trifling issue with the door locking, it would surely be better to have people accessing and egressing through the guards door.

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Be interesting to know what these carriage faults are, given the set can still move the whole route.

If it's some trifling issue with the door locking, it would surely be better to have people accessing and egressing through the guards door.

I'm not sure any issue with door locking can be 'trifling'!

Status
Not open for further replies.