• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeylandLen

Would I be right in thinking that the 68 is on diagram 1 on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and on diagram 2 on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays?

With the strikes on Monday and Thursday this week, does that mean that the 68 will actually be on diagram 1 on Tuesday (27th March), and on diagram 2 on Wednesday (28th March)? Or will the loco hauled diagrams be unaffected by the strikes?

I imagine it depends whether the drivers of the actual locomotives take part in the strike ; they might have before ,but could be working now ?

themiller

They don't use the locos on strike days because they don't need to as they have plenty of units they can use.

Bugger all to do with driver availability, really.
If they don't use the LHCS on strike days, what is it that passes my house on strike days which is next to the (Cumbrian Coast Line) which looks and sound like class 37 and coaches and class 68s top and tailing coaches?

They run the two sets as ECS on strike days to swap them around. This is so they are at the right end of the line for the next day's service. The Class 68 set needs to keep to it's rotating booked daily diagrams so that the DRS drivers are in the right place.

stantheman

On Moderation
Can anyone confirm there are no loch hauled after timetable change , real time trains at the moment shows only freight for the sample of stations I checked ?

_toommm_

Established Member
Can anyone confirm there are no loch hauled after timetable change , real time trains at the moment shows only freight for the sample of stations I checked ?

The timetables haven't been uploaded fully yet, and as the loco hauled services aren't a permanent addition for Northern Fail the services will still be pathed as Sprinters - normally a timing load of 150/153/155/156.

(Someome correct me if I'm wrong of course)

Tringonometry

If they don't use the LHCS on strike days, what is it that passes my house on strike days which is next to the (Cumbrian Coast Line) which looks and sound like class 37 and coaches and class 68s top and tailing coaches?

37424 on Thursday afternoon this week was me ECS from WKG to BIF, in order to form the first one off Barrow on Friday morning.

Tringonometry

The timetables haven't been uploaded fully yet, and as the loco hauled services aren't a permanent addition for Northern Fail the services will still be pathed as Sprinters - normally a timing load of 150/153/155/156.

Spot on.

LeylandLen

Apparently 37402 on 2C47 failed near Arnside on its 1003 Preston to Barrow .this morning ; waiting to be rescued as I type ..1430 Thurs

Toby Atkinson

Apparently 37402 on 2C47 failed near Arnside on its 1003 Preston to Barrow .this morning ; waiting to be rescued as I type ..1430 Thurs
I’m currently at Lancaster. The line has been blocked since 11am.

The rescue is train is taking the 37 to sidings at Carnforth, but at 5mph.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
Tangentially (and not off topic really) the times taken to rescue failed trains wherever for whatever reason seem nowadays to be accepted at a level that is in reality unacceptably protracted. Few rescue locomotives, different coupling standards stopping some types of units rescuing others seem obvious problems which could be addressed (albeit in the longer term for more universal inter coupling of units). Surely it isn't beyond the wit of man to have a locomotive with some sort of match truck* within an hour of most places on the network. This wasn't Mallaig or Thurso, it was in busy, lowland Britain. The present response to a failed train seems to be that anything within three hours is acceptable.

Andrew

*The match truck could even have a snowplough on it...

Sadly it's one of those invisible costs... If everyone on the train is late for work, the actual cost doesn't appear anywhere. If someone has to buy and staff a loco, that cost is real and has to be paid by someone. The same thing occurs with most 'mass organisations' like motorways, utilities etc etc. A traffic jam on the M6 doesn't appear on anyone's balance sheet. An extra lane on the M6 does.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
The people who choose an alternative means of travel because of such events is an invisible too. Frankly the current situation just isn't right, it isn't about costs. Yes I know it is about cost, but this is one thing where reputation should count for something.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
The people who choose an alternative means of travel because of such events is an invisible too. Frankly the current situation just isn't right, it isn't about costs. Yes I know it is about cost, but this is one thing where reputation should count for something.

Reputation of a relatively lightly used provincial service a long way from London is not very high on the DfT's list of priorities.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
It isn't just the Furness line, several hours is the norm in metropolitan Britain with a de-wirement, for example.

a_c_skinner

Established Member
37402 is resting in Carnforth in one of the down loops.

If anyone is interested the Preston turn today was class 68s, but I mis-timed my trip to Lancaster.

randyrippley

Established Member

Well on Saturday afternoon around 2:30 at Grange, eastbound was a 158, westbound a 185
hopefully a better sign for the future

Status
Not open for further replies.