• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cycling vs. walking

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The thread about Covid-19 lockdown enforcement turned into a discussion about walking and cycling, after I made this comment:

For me, a reasonable walking distance in normal circumstances is about a mile - anything further and I'd cycle because walking would take too long. In fact, even a mile, I'd be more inclined to cycle.

So @yorkie has spun off this new thread.

How do others view the balance between walking or cycling?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, I find walking as a mode of transport really boring, and to the station (which is about 2km) is the most I usually bother with, though in snow where it's the only viable mode of transport I've been known to walk to CMK which is about 3.5 miles from here.

Beyond that I would choose to cycle, drive or use public transport.

But that doesn't mean the 3.5 miles is not a reasonable walking distance, it just means I can't be bothered.

bramling

Veteran Member
Yes, I find walking as a mode of transport really boring, and to the station (which is about 2km) is the most I usually bother with, though in snow where it's the only viable mode of transport I've been known to walk to CMK which is about 3.5 miles from here.

Beyond that I would choose to cycle, drive or use public transport.

But that doesn't mean the 3.5 miles is not a reasonable walking distance, it just means I can't be bothered.

Depends on the scenery. I have a couple of regular walks from my front door which generally work out at about 7 miles, which I generally cover in about 2.5 to 3 hours depending on if I stop for a bit in a pleasant remote spot.

However I’ve certainly done some “proper” walks like Scarborough to Whitby, High Peak Trail, Bodmin to Padstow and back, Barmouth to Dolgellau and back, all very easily achieved in a day - in fact in all these cases the limiting factor is more time spent stopping to take pictures. If the average person walks at about 3mph then it figures one can walk 24 miles in 8 hours or 36 miles in 12 hours, but obviously this doesn’t take into account time for stops. Over about 10 miles I’d certainly need some refreshments, and over 20 miles I find I’d be starting to get aches if it’s the first long walk for a while.

Personally I find these sorts of things are much better done by foot than by bike as it allows time to properly look at anything which takes interest along the way, whereas on a bike it’s irritating to keep stopping. Plus there’s no need to worry about punctures. However having a bike can make a longer walk more viable if the distance is too long to do both ways and there’s no easy way of getting back.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As an aside, and an advert (no, I don't work for them, just a very satisified customer), fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, replacing them when they look worn, and you will not get punctures at all. They really are that good.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When it comes to a long route, I prefer to cycle, as you can see a lot more in the available time.

My record for Scarborough to Whitby is around 1 hour 50 minutes and I can make a good day of it, including a trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.

If I was to walk Scarborough to Whitby I'd definitely have to do two day trips, or stay overnight somewhere.

I prefer cycling if I am by myself or with one or two others, but when there is a larger group of us, walking is good because you can chat to lots of people at the same time.

I wouldn't want to walk much more than the 12.5 mile distance I walked yesterday though, however I think it's fair to say that most of the forum members who I walk with would prefer an even lower limit than that.

Whereas cycling for twice that distance is a doddle and you can spend more time stopping off as well as covering more distance.

As an aside, and an advert (no, I don't work for them, just a very satisified customer), fit Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, replacing them when they look worn, and you will not get punctures at all. They really are that good.
Yes I used to get loads of punctures and have not got a single puncture since, this does include riding over broken glass (not that I do that deliberately but in some urban environments you don't always see it until its too late)

route101

Established Member
I used to walk to work about half an hour. I could leave the house without worrying about getting a bus. The downside was the weather, if i got soaked . Would also get sweaty too, when i started work.

route101

Established Member
I used to walk to work about half an hour. I could leave the house without worrying about getting a bus. The downside was the weather, if i got soaked . Would also get sweaty too, when i started work.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

That sort of journey is probably a good case for Dutch-style cycling - a comfortable, upright-style bike ridden slowly will probably get you a lot less sweaty than a brisk walk (though to be fair has less exercise value).

Apologies for continuing the tangent, but as a word of warning, I bought a Marathon Plus tyre a few years ago, and had to take it back to the shop because I couldn't get it on the wheel. If I remember rightly, the springiness of the tyre was constantly trying to flatten/widen its profile, so whenever I got both sides inside the rim at one point on the wheel, they would spring out again as soon as I let go to do the next bit. Perhaps I was just incompetent or unlucky, but I thought I should mention it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Apologies for continuing the tangent, but as a word of warning, I bought a Marathon Plus tyre a few years ago, and had to take it back to the shop because I couldn't get it on the wheel. If I remember rightly, the springiness of the tyre was constantly trying to flatten/widen its profile, so whenever I got both sides inside the rim at one point on the wheel, they would spring out again as soon as I let go to do the next bit. Perhaps I was just incompetent or unlucky, but I thought I should mention it.

They can be a bit hard to fit, but it's not a fault, it's because of the thick non-stretching band that provides the puncture protection. You need some good tyre levers (plastic outer, metal inner - don't try to do it with plastic only ones as you'll snap them, and metal only ones or spoon handles will scratch your rims to bits), and some people have reported success by flattening one side that's already on with some cable ties.

That said, my most recent set were much easier to fit than previous sets, which suggests they may have made some improvements, so perhaps try again?

They can be a bit hard to fit, but it's not a fault, it's because of the thick non-stretching band that provides the puncture protection. You need some good tyre levers (plastic outer, metal inner - don't try to do it with plastic only ones as you'll snap them, and metal only ones or spoon handles will scratch your rims to bits), and some people have reported success by flattening one side that's already on with some cable ties.

That said, my most recent set were much easier to fit than previous sets, which suggests they may have made some improvements, so perhaps try again?

I don't think I got to the tyre lever stage -- my problem was at the earlier stage of doing most of the circumference by hand, when I could easily get the tyre in place but couldn't keep it there (I think I've seen the cable tie suggestion somewhere before, but not while I still had the tyre). Thankyou for your last piece of information -- I'll bear it in mind next time I need new tyres.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't think I got to the tyre lever stage -- my problem was at the earlier stage of doing most of the circumference by hand, when I could easily get the tyre in place but couldn't keep it there (I think I've seen the cable tie suggestion somewhere before, but not while I still had the tyre). Thankyou for your last piece of information -- I'll bear it in mind next time I need new tyres.

No probs :)

PeterY

Established Member
I wouldn't want to walk much more than the 12.5 mile distance I walked yesterday though, however I think it's fair to say that most of the forum members who I walk with would prefer an even lower limit than that.
For me 12.5 miles is a good distance to walk but because I walk (still) fairly fast, 3.5 mph, I prefer to walk on my own. I find walking slowly, so tiring .

Given the chance, I actually prefer cycling. Because of the current situation I'm doing 2 short rides, about 15 miles in the morning and 15 ish in the late afternoon.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For me 12.5 miles is a good distance to walk but because I walk (still) fairly fast, 3.5 mph, I prefer to walk on my own. I find walking slowly, so tiring .

Given the chance, I actually prefer cycling. Because of the current situation I'm doing 2 short rides, about 15 miles in the morning and 15 ish in the late afternoon.

Naughty naughty, don't let Bojo see :D

(A friend - yes, a friend, not me - has done this and quite amusingly titled his two rides on Strava "Government approved exercise" and "Government prohibited exercise". That said, the French were I believe enforcing against people using Strava, so it's a good job he's not in Wales where once a day is in law!)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Many years ago, in a previous locale, I started walking to the station to save money on the car park. It was 1.5miles, mostly on pavements but along some cut through alleys too, and took 20 minutes from front door to station entrance. Many of my friends suggested I should cycle - and as I do a fair bit of cycling I tried that too. Because of having to get the bike out of the garage, then at the station find a space at the racks, lock it up, and then get to the station entrance, the front door to station entrance time was also 20 minutes. At that point I figured walking was better for journeys of that length, with no need to carry a helmet around all day or worry about the weather when wearing a suit.

Many years later and it’s still the same. I will typically walk up to 2 miles to go anywhere if I’m on my own, I don’t need to carry much and if time isn’t pressured. Otherwise it’s the car.

For me, cycling is a leisure pursuit rather than a mode of transport. I love cycling for leisure, and do a lot of it; I also love walking for leisure but prefer there to be scenery involved, preferably mountains or coastlines. I am now getting quite bored of all the sub 6 mile walks I can do from my house. Not least because there are a *lot* more people out doing them now than there ever used to be.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Many years ago, in a previous locale, I started walking to the station to save money on the car park. It was 1.5miles, mostly on pavements but along some cut through alleys too, and took 20 minutes from front door to station entrance. Many of my friends suggested I should cycle - and as I do a fair bit of cycling I tried that too. Because of having to get the bike out of the garage, then at the station find a space at the racks, lock it up, and then get to the station entrance, the front door to station entrance time was also 20 minutes. At that point I figured walking was better for journeys of that length, with no need to carry a helmet around all day or worry about the weather when wearing a suit.
I'm a little bit nearer (to my local station) than that but I find the walk is closer to 25 minutes at a reasonable pace without rushing, though 20 minutes is of course achievable.

But by bike a mere 10 minutes will get me to the point where I have locked my bike up adjacent to Platform 1, and that includes the time to get the bike out of the garage.

My average walking speed is about 3.2mph but my average cycling speed (on roads) is about 15mph, so the only place I would not get the bike out for, is the most local shop.

Last edited:

LMS 4F

This has depressed me because yesterday I managed 22 miles on my mountain bike and thought I had done well. But you would regard this as a short ride. Oh well I'll have to keep trying.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This has depressed me because yesterday I managed 22 miles on my mountain bike and thought I had done well. But you would regard this as a short ride. Oh well I'll have to keep trying.

It is considerably more effort to ride a heavy mountain bike with knobblies than a light road bike with narrow slicks - so it might well be that your ride was more effort! :)

LMS 4F

It is considerably more effort to ride a heavy mountain bike with knobblies than a light road bike with narrow slicks - so it might well be that your ride was more effort! :)
Thank you for that, it certainly was an effort so I'll rest my old bones today and have another go in the morning. I'm not sure those tin racing type sheets would take my 17 st anyway.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thank you for that, it certainly was an effort so I'll rest my old bones today and have another go in the morning. I'm not sure those tin racing type sheets would take my 17 st anyway.

I personally ride a hybrid (a Decathlon Hoprider 100 at the moment, not at all bad for the price), slightly narrower tyres than an MTB so "rolls nicer" but still ridden fairly upright. I don't get on with drop-bar road bikes either, I just ride with hands on the flat bit which renders having the drops pointless. And I'm three stone heavier than you FWIW :)

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I'm a little bit nearer (to my local station) than that but I find the walk is closer to 25 minutes at a reasonable pace without rushing, though 20 minutes is of course achievable.

But by bike a mere 10 minutes will get me to the point where I have locked my bike up adjacent to Platform 1, and that includes the time to get the bike out of the garage.

My average walking speed is about 3.2mph but my average cycling speed (on roads) is about 15mph, so the only place I would not get the bike out for, is the most local shop.

I perhaps should have said - my usual ‘walking to station’ speed is 4 - 4.2mph, and the same journey on the bike is about half a mile longer, as many of the cut throughs are prohibited to cycles (and difficult to do anyway). There’s also two sets of traffic lights on the bike route, both of which can be red for a loooong time. So whilst my average speed is 14-15mph on the mountain bike I used (for a short journey) it takes rather longer.

JohnMcL7

Don't worry about comparing your distances to others and be proud of what you've done because challenge are different for each of us. I started properly cycling back in 2011 and I've built up to fairly long cycles but the first 26 mile cycle was by far one of the toughest. I lost all my fitness due to a thyroid problem last year down to the point it was too tiring to sit up and then had to work on getting my fitness back so definitely appreciate how tough any ride can be.

Same as most people up to around one mile I prefer walking but more than that will take the bike although it varies on the circumstances, some places there isn't a decent place to leave the bike and others I prefer a walk if I'm not in a rush.

AM9

Veteran Member
When I go to London, I often walk to St Albans Station, - it's just under 2.5 miles, and takes about 40-50 minutes*. It's a pleasant walk in most weather, through Verulamium Park, then along the Alban Way (a path along the former GN branch that forms part of Sustrans route 61). The only time that I would cycle to the station is if I was tasking a bike into central London, in which case it would be my Brompton, not a particulalrly speedy ride on indifferent surfaces. That would take about 20 mins there and 25 mins back, including unfolding and folding the bike.
* Mostly it would be to catch the 09:41 (was 09:33) - the first 'off-peak' fast up train.
Since the quarantine started, I've started doing either walks (about 60 to 75 mins for 3-4 miles) or cycling (between 3-5 miles, today was 4.1 miles and took 20 mins exactly).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
When I go to London, I often walk to St Albans Station, - it's just under 2.5 miles, and takes about 40-50 minutes*. It's a pleasant walk in most weather, through Verulamium Park, then along the Alban Way (a path along the former GN branch that forms part of Sustrans route 61). The only time that I would cycle to the station is if I was tasking a bike into central London, in which case it would be my Brompton, not a particulalrly speedy ride on indifferent surfaces. That would take about 20 mins there and 25 mins back, including unfolding and folding the bike.
* Mostly it would be to catch the 09:41 (was 09:33) - the first 'off-peak' fast up train.
Since the quarantine started, I've started doing either walks (about 60 to 75 mins for 3-4 miles) or cycling (between 3-5 miles, today was 4.1 miles and took 20 mins exactly).

Assuming you are where I think you are, using the Alban Way is an awfully long way round to the station!

AM9

Veteran Member
Assuming you are where I think you are, using the Alban Way is an awfully long way round to the station!
If I'm not going to get the bus(es) to the station, (and the 300/302 is a slow journey), the difference is about 5-10 minutes with no walking along heavily polluted roads, - which are not anywhere near as quiet as they are now. The Alban Way is generally quite pleasant, - just a few cycles.

al78

Established Member
If we are talking about utility journeys, about three quarters of a mile is the point where I will be more likely to cycle than walk. It is a bit under that to get to my local supermarket, and I mostly walk, as it is easier to just walk out of the front door than get the bike and kit together, then having to lock/unlock the bike at the supermarket. For journeys of two or more miles, I will nearly always cycle if I am not going to drive or use public transport.

al78

Established Member

See here for a good demonstration on how to fit a Marathon Plus tyre without resorting to levers.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I used to have a mountain bike but I got a road bike a few months ago. When I took the new bike in for a free service I used the old bike for one round trip. It felt very odd. Small frame, much heavier and brakes not as good.

I've been timing journeys to and from work for around a year. Best time on the old bike was 20:10. Within days I'd got down to 18:39 on the new bike. Current best is 18:10. It has to be said that wind and traffic lights are the two biggest factors. Usually I have a tail wind coming home. All the best times are heading home at 22:00. Almost never got below 20 mins going in and it's rare to get below 22 mins in either direction for the 14:00 shift change.

LMS 4F

I used to have a mountain bike but I got a road bike a few months ago. When I took the new bike in for a free service I used the old bike for one round trip. It felt very odd. Small frame, much heavier and brakes not as good.

I've been timing journeys to and from work for around a year. Best time on the old bike was 20:10. Within days I'd got down to 18:39 on the new bike. Current best is 18:10. It has to be said that wind and traffic lights are the two biggest factors. Usually I have a tail wind coming home. All the best times are heading home at 22:00. Almost never got below 20 mins going in and it's rare to get below 22 mins in either direction for the 14:00 shift change.
I only use my bike for keeping fit, that's the idea anyway, and as I ride most of the time off road on canal paths and old railway lines I thought a Mountain bike would be best. It certainly is heavier than the racing bike I commuted on over thirty years ago but as far as brakes and gear changing go it is light years ahead of my last bike.
I managed a ride today, 23 miles, so I am pleased with myself once again. I feel I must mention I am 72 so I suspect my fastest days are behind me.

Status
Not open for further replies.