• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D-SLRs without live view; how do you cope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJMorley

Good lord, of course it's easy. I was using viewfinders for years, saying I'm the similar age.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rebus

Don't forget that live view also gobbles up the battery.
As some have pointed out, the viewfinder gives the actual view through the lens and has been this way since the SLR was invented ;)

The more expensive (pro) cameras have a 100% viewfinder but most 'lesser' models will have anything from 95-98% of the actual scene visible. IMO this is no big deal.

It's also easier to hold the camera steady when you use the viewfinder, as holding it away at arms length will cause camera shake, especially if you have a big telephoto-zoom fitted (unless you use a tripod!) You also look a bit of a d*ck holding a DSLR this way! :)

Phoenix

Established Member
To be honest I have dealt with it because with live view you cannot take multiple shots as quick and also it requires more battery so overall costs more whether it's in batteries bought or leccy bills.
I do remeber when I had it I thought I would find it hard not having live view but really just the first day was hard cause I had to get used to it.
But on the whole it's better not having it in the end.

D306

Established Member
The Canon EOS 450d has a live view feature and I've just had a quick go with it. It's not bad but I prefer the viewfinder

Ferret

Established Member
To be honest I have dealt with it because with live view you cannot take multiple shots as quick and also it requires more battery so overall costs more whether it's in batteries bought or leccy bills.
I do remeber when I had it I thought I would find it hard not having live view but really just the first day was hard cause I had to get used to it.
But on the whole it's better not having it in the end.

I completely agree, you just have to get used to it - and in any case when you're looking through a viewfinder, is that not a form of "live view" anyway? :lol:

Established Member
Having had my Sony for a Month now, I would say I use the Viewfinder over live view.

Phoenix

Established Member
I completely agree, you just have to get used to it - and in any case when you're looking through a viewfinder, is that not a form of "live view" anyway? :lol:

True it is a form of liveview so you will never be without it to be honest you can almost consider it a better version of liveview as it doesnt keep you waiting before you take another shot.
Some people would feel lost if they didnt know what their shot looked like straight after they shot it but there is a time to check the shots and thats at home on the computer.
Plus you end up with more material.

Ferret

Established Member
Well, most DSLRs enable you to see what your shot looks like straight afterwards - but like you say, the best time to look is on your computer later, though the LCD screen on my Canon usually gives me an idea as to whether it'll be ok or not.

Phoenix

Established Member
Well, most DSLRs enable you to see what your shot looks like straight afterwards - but like you say, the best time to look is on your computer later, though the LCD screen on my Canon usually gives me an idea as to whether it'll be OK or not.

Yeah I can look on the LCD screen on my Nikon D40 like straight away but I usually do it either after something rateable has passed so I can make sure all is okay or I just look when im bored.
But I just think that if I start looking to much I start deleting stuff I know I don't want when sometimes actually most shots look a lot better on the big computer screen than the small LCD screen.

Ferret

Established Member
I know what you mean. That said, it can also be useful - say you're doing a nightshot with a tripod - you can look at the results, and if you're not happy, fiddle with the settings to do a "2nd time lucky".

That said, there's nowt worse than looking at the results on the back of your camera and realise you've made a total balls up of something that's long gone. Been there, done that!:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.