• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Daft school rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Not really a rule as such but definitely a conscious decision taken by my school (none of the the other local schools did so) which really annoyed me at the time, and looking back still does now a little:

When the time came to choose GCSE options, subjects were grouped together, one of the groups was Geography and History from which all students selected one. The annoying element was you could ONLY select one, it wasn't possible to take both subjects at GCSE level.

Guess what my two favourite subject at school were.
It was the same at my school, but possibly even more so. For 'A' level History and English Literature were placed with French in one group. Geography ended in the second year unless it was thought you weren't 'A'level material, so I couldn't even take it at 'O' level, a shame as it was undoubtedly my best subject. I failed French at 'A' level.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
I went to school in the 2000s and we also had to do PE in our underpants if we forgot our kit if it was an indoor lesson. If it was outdoors, it was even worse as you had to take damp, smelly and dirty clothes from the lost and found bin. I don't know why, but I really can't imagine that happening today even though I went to school not so long ago.
I am really shocked that this sort of out-of-the-ark behaviour was going on during this century. At my school in the 1980s (and I went to a strict, but basically humane, school) they wouldn't have dreamed about anything like that, even though one of the PE/games teachers was a bit of an a-hole.

I was apparently 'the only pupil that I have ever graded C' for PE, to quote another of the PE department's entry in one of my school reports. Probably because I thought it was a waste of time. I did regular exercise in my own time, and now, 35-odd years later, am probably amongst the fitter people of my generation.

PeterC

Established Member
It was the same at my school, but possibly even more so. For 'A' level History and English Literature were placed with French in one group. Geography ended in the second year unless it was thought you weren't 'A'level material, so I couldn't even take it at 'O' level, a shame as it was undoubtedly my best subject. I failed French at 'A' level.
We were expected to take 10 subjects at O level. From the 4th form we had to pickone of Biology woodwork, art music or a third foreign language.

Gareth

Established Member
Clearly went to a better school than me. French was the only foreign language available and doing at least one foreign language at GCSE was national policy so I had to do it. Also had to do woodwork for some reason, even though I was terrible at it. Art was for the stupid kids and music, like I said above, forget it. Interesting that Biology was optional at your school. We had to do it as part of a Science GCSE, although we still had distinct Biology/Physics/Chemistry classes.

gg1

Established Member
Interesting that Biology was optional at your school. We had to do it as part of a Science GCSE, although we still had distinct Biology/Physics/Chemistry classes.
That reminds me of an even more bonkers option group my school used to do 10 years or so years before my time.

I too did a single Science GCSE with separate Biology, Physics and Chemistry lessons, when my sister did her O levels however they were separate subjects but it wasn't possible to take all 3 sciences, you could only pick 2 out of 3.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
That is presumably because the classes run at the same time, and the students can't be in two places at one. I don't really see how that is "daft", or how else it could possibly be done.
That’s very daft because those are two humanities subjects with a strong overlap in interest. Like saying you can take chemistry or biology but not both.

Gloster

Established Member
We had an odd one, related to the rule that everybody had to do two or three languages in their first year: everybody did French. I think it was that, if you had done Latin at your prep school (up to thirteen) you had to continue with it for at least a year and could not switch to German. Only those who had not done Latin at prep school or had already started German could do German. If you had done Latin in your first year, you could drop it in your second year, but you couldn’t switch to German as you wouldn’t be able to learn enough in two years to take the O-Level. Those doing Greek had to do Latin as well.

TravelDream

Choices in secondary school were always a pain.
I wanted to do separate sciences, but the school said there wasn't enough demand. In the end, I had to do double science though each lesson was taught separately. I managed to avoid languages though luckily. I'd like to speak another, but I just think my brain isn't wired that way. French was the only MFL available at my school like the poster above. Spanish was available before my time, but the school deemed it uneconomic due to low demand. That's a pretty sad indictment of MFL teaching in British schools IMO.

I am really shocked that this sort of out-of-the-ark behaviour was going on during this century. At my school in the 1980s (and I went to a strict, but basically humane, school) they wouldn't have dreamed about anything like that, even though one of the PE/games teachers was a bit of an a-hole.

Yes, you'd think not. The PE teachers weren't too bad really so I am not sure why they had this policy.
I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but I went to an all boys' school so there weren't issues with gender like there'd be at most schools.

A Challenge

Established Member
My school you picked one subject from each group (with each group containing the previous groups) for your three options. The year above me's group A was they had to do a Language - French, Spanish, German, Latin or Computer Science (which they counted as a language that year, strangely). I got the choice of a language (not including Computer Science) or Geography/History, and Computer Science was only in Groups B and C.

Apart from courses that didn't run due to low take-up, I don't know of anybody who didn't get to do their options due to timetable clash - I didn't know anyone who wanted one of the scrapped options either, though I think there were one or two.

Incidentally Spanish was quite popular in my school, possibly though as the teachers taught Spanish and French or German and French, and the German teachers weren't very popular.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
We too, could only do Geography or History for CSEs & GCEs/O Levels, I did Geography, but would have liked to do History too.

PeterC

Established Member
My school was a highly regarded grammar school with the benefit of a brilliant head of mathematics. He was able to draw up a complete timetable allowing everybody to take 10 subjects at 0 level and literally any combination at A level. All this with only pencil and paper.

He once cast the entire timetable around one boy who wanted to do a particularly weird combination of A levels. The boy dropped one of the subjects at half term and the teacher made absolutely no complaint.

TravelDream

My school was a highly regarded grammar school with the benefit of a brilliant head of mathematics. He was able to draw up a complete timetable allowing everybody to take 10 subjects at 0 level and literally any combination at A level. All this with only pencil and paper.

This isn't always possible unfortunately.

In my old school, the deputy head did all of the timetabling and generally did a very good job if demand was there. She said that the reason we couldn't do separate sciences was due to the 'small number' of students who wanted to do it which made it financially unviable for the school. I think it was about 15-20. I think financial viability is an even bigger issue today with many English schools being run by private academies.

The problem of financial viability was solved in sixth-form by my school running a joint sixth-form with the other school in town. A-Level lessons were all double lessons and we would have to rush to take a bus the ten minutes between schools during each break time.

contrex

When I started at Alleyn's School aged 11 in 1963, we were handed a printed set of school rules; these included boys may not wear "sideburns" (quotes as in original), boys may not wear jackets with vents, boys must wear black shoes with toe-caps (i.e. not 'winklepickers'). Uniform was a plain grey suit, except for prefects who wore blazers. I think these clauses were inserted some years before to prevent boys dressing like 'Teddy boys'.

PeterC

Established Member
When I started at Alleyn's School aged 11 in 1963, we were handed a printed set of school rules; these included boys may not wear "sideburns" (quotes as in original), boys may not wear jackets with vents, boys must wear black shoes with toe-caps (i.e. not 'winklepickers'). Uniform was a plain grey suit, except for prefects who wore blazers. I think these clauses were inserted some years before to prevent boys dressing like 'Teddy boys'.
I know that my own state grammar had problems with a few boys who fancied themselves as "teds" in the 50s but the rules were never so prescriptive. The new head who started in 63 didn't like hair over ears or collars or sideburns. Nothing was written but if he thought your hair was too long he would slide a pencil along the base of your ear at its highest point and flick it upwards. If the hair fell onto the ear itself you were ordered to get it cut by the next morning.

contrex

I know that my own state grammar had problems with a few boys who fancied themselves as "teds" in the 50s.
As a little boy aged about 4, I was fascinated by the idea of 'teddy boys'. I think I thought they were a sort of hybrid of teddy bears and boys. I can still recall my disappointment when, on a London bus, my mother pointed out of the window and said 'Look! Some teddy boys!', and I saw some fairly normal looking human teenagers.

I remember another 'ted' rule - boys must only wear plain grey socks. Some teds went for violently coloured, even luminous socks.

I was a 'scholarship' boy at Alleyn's - no way could my parents afford the fees. By the time the hippy long hair thing came along later in the 1960s, enough of the fee-paying parents actually wanted their boys to have their hair a bit long, that the 'short back and sides' rule was relaxed. The school knew which side its bread was buttered on.

Master Cutler

When I chose my O level subject options back in 1971, because I was in the top stream I was unable to do O level technical drawing, which was three consecutive lessons on a Friday afternoon, as it meant missing one compulsory lesson of English literature and two free lessons of general studies.
(In general studies we used to do things like gardening or sometimes a game of cards while sneaking a crafty smoke)
Despite many appeals to the headmaster for me to switch to TD the school wouldn't budge because they didn't want to alter the timetable just for one person.
Apparently the education authority insisted that English literature was more important than any "technical" subject.
The result was I promptly left school age 16 in June 1973 after my last O level exam, and started an engineering apprenticeship which turned out to suit me far better than any arts based education.

Class800

Established Member
Girls wearing ties - since when has a tie been part of female formal attire?

Boys not allowed earrings but girls were - gender stereotyping

6th form, business attire dress code, but heels still banned - why? Should be a choice at that age

Class800

Established Member
Safety hazard?
No different than offices, and it's accepted there (rightly). There were always a few who pushed it and got away with it - there were about 5 girls in sixth form year who did wear proper high heels despite being banned and no one commented against it, one wore towering 6 inchers! Was out 6th form totally wild or just normal? I don't know. The only uniform violation we heard a 6th form girl get in trouble for was showing her midriff. The stilettos never got called up on (despite being totally against the rules), and there were plenty who broke the skirt length rules, including one who had a split right up to the hip. Some blouses were lower than the rules allowed, and one girl not only showed loads of cleavage, but oiled it every day to make it stand out even more. I kid you not.

Last edited:

maxbarnish

No different than offices, and it's accepted there (rightly). There were always a few who pushed it and got away with it - there were about 5 girls in sixth form year who did wear proper high heels despite being banned and no one commented against it, one wore towering 6 inchers! Was out 6th form totally wild or just normal? I don't know. The only uniform violation we heard a 6th form girl get in trouble for was showing her midriff. The stilettos never got called up on (despite being totally against the rules), and there were plenty who broke the skirt length rules, including one who had a split right up to the hip. Some blouses were lower than the rules allowed, and one girl not only showed loads of cleavage, but oiled it every day to make it stand out even more. I kid you not.
Sounds about right from my experience too.

Stupidest school rule - the unwritten one, you could get away with anything if you were a girl. But if were a boy, well caning was off by then, but it was detention time for the boys. Even if a girl stroked a boy's arm or leg in class, he would get detention if he looked at her body in response, or touched her.

Class800

Established Member
I think your experiences were similar to mine @maxbarnish - boys were certainly very restricted. Actually, similar to some other posts above, e.g. @contrex about boy's attire being very strictly regulated, although mine was a much more recent era.

In my school, a boy got detention when he was caught looking by a teacher when a girl sat opposite him with her legs far apart and her panties (?) showing. She got nothing. Same for a boy looking at oiled cleavage. If a girl stroked a boy's arm, he got in trouble for talking/looking/touching in class, while her stroking of him was ignored, and deemed OK. Seemed stacked against boys.

But we may be drifting off topic - into daftest ways in which rules were not enforced or selectively enforced, rather than daftest rules.

nw1

Established Member
Interesting to see the limitations on option choices here.

At my school there were no limitations, besides English (language and literature - the latter of which I somehow passed despite having a truly terrible, vindictive teacher), Maths and French being compulsory up to age 16. No issues with taking Geography and History together, or German and Latin together, or anything else.

Class800

Established Member
We had option limitations too - quite complex ones. The key one was in L4 (2nd year senior school) when we had to choose to continue Latin or switch to German. These could not both be taken - all students had to take Latin in 3 (1st year senior school). The school was also not keen on mixing arts and sciences in 6th form.

We also had a rule where it was not permitted for boys to stop on the path by the tennis courts when girls' tennis was on - it happened though, and most girls liked it, though occasionally teachers intervened. I think it was due to boys looking up skirts on serves.

But sadly in 6th form sports time, boys weren't allowed to use the gym - a small amount of girls wanted it for girls only and the teachers agreed with them.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
Public schools are keen on sports, but there was much less for the girls than the boys: the one game the girls used to play that the boys didn’t was netball. Boys loitering around the outdoor netball court were liable to be moved on or reported. On one occasion I had a genuine job to to do in the vicinity of the court (*), but a day or two later I found myself having a lecture from my housemaster about ‘unhealthy obsessions’. It might have been normal in the 1920s, but in the 1970s it was ridiculous.

* - One day a week we had to do useful tasks around the school. I think the idea was to show parents how they were making efforts to save money on maintenance staff and broaden our education. In truth they probably had to employ more staff to clear up the mess we made and we couldn’t be bothered to learn anything.

Class800

Established Member
Public schools are keen on sports, but there was much less for the girls than the boys: the one game the girls used to play that the boys didn’t was netball. Boys loitering around the outdoor netball court were liable to be moved on or reported. On one occasion I had a genuine job to to do in the vicinity of the court (*), but a day or two later I found myself having a lecture from my housemaster about ‘unhealthy obsessions’. It might have been normal in the 1920s, but in the 1970s it was ridiculous.

* - One day a week we had to do useful tasks around the school. I think the idea was to show parents how they were making efforts to save money on maintenance staff and broaden our education. In truth they probably had to employ more staff to clear up the mess we made and we couldn’t be bothered to learn anything.
It's not an unhealthy obsession to check out the girls surely. My story was in the late 90s, early 2000s - still issues about boys stopping by tennis court when girls were serving. Teachers had no problems with girls standing around wolf whistling at boys' tennis though. Even a few who flashed the boys tennis game! That was ignored. But boys just standing there having a little look, in trouble.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Re subject choices. In the first form at grammar, we did all the subjects, but from the second we had to choose between history and geography; couldn't do both. So I chose geog. Even did my degree in it. But I ended up as the senior local history librarian for a large authority and never even had GCE history...

Class800

Established Member
In our school lower sets had to choose geography or history for GCSE - top sets had to do both, so I did both

maxbarnish

Same with subject choices.

Think we've probably exhausted the unfair treatment of boys vs girls - but it was so harsh. Boys couldn't watch the girls playing sport (got away with it sometimes, not usually), but girls often stood around the edge of boys sport games and practices, screaming, whistling, fan-girling, and sometimes flashing (normally subtly but sometimes not when no one was looking except a boy or two).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It's not an unhealthy obsession to check out the girls surely. My story was in the late 90s, early 2000s - still issues about boys stopping by tennis court when girls were serving. Teachers had no problems with girls standing around wolf whistling at boys' tennis though. Even a few who flashed the boys tennis game! That was ignored. But boys just standing there having a little look, in trouble.
I've spoken out against single sex schools before, like the one I endured. When I was in the fifth form a particularly obnoxious and friendless prefect suddenly disappeared. All became clear about a fortnight later when the local newspaper reported his pleading guilty in court to stealing panties from washing lines asking for 270 similar occurrences to be taken into consideration! He never reappeared in school and nobody mourned his leaving, but I can't help feeling his unhealthy obsession had its roots in his upbringing and schooling.

For some reason, my school wouldn't let us choose both ICT and music...

I can see why they banned it if it made the person uncomfortable but it doesn't explain why it doesn't work for both genders.

Status
Not open for further replies.