Dartmoor & Weardale Railways for sale

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by michael74, 6 Jan 2020.

1. Brush 4

Brush 4 Member

It shouldn't adversely affect the GWR plan to resume daily services to Exeter. The steam service was an entirely separate entity. With stone traffic also gone, the line is now clear for the daily service and, Okehampton station is restored and ready for trains. Signalling and track refurb aside, could hardly be simpler, when compared to other overgrown or lifted lines proposed for reopening.

2. devonexpress

devonexpress Member

Network Rail could buy it if enough MP's in the local area put pressure on the government to fork out the cash, It would be better overall as then GWR would have full control over Sampford Courtney and Okehampton stations and could put up PIS etc without having to get permission from Dartmoor Railway. The only thing is if Network Rail do buy it, I doubt much would happen with the Okehampton to Meldon viaduct section although it would be good to have GWR services to Meldon Viaduct.

I think DR has quite a few MK3,MK2 etc which will probably get sold on.

3. Sir Felix Pole

Sir Felix Pole Member

Coleford Jcn to Meldon is owned by Aggregate Industries; Okehampton station by Devon County Council. There is very little in the way of assets for the Dartmoor Railway adminstrators to dispose of - some items of rolling-stock and track-maintenance equipment; the rest is owned by the voluntary supporters association. AI do not wish to sell the line ; they regard it as essential should the the quarry be revived. The have 'grandfather rights' to the quarry and do not need permission from the Dartmoor National Park Authority to do so, unlike a completely new quarry. It is a mess - the obvious solution would be for a compulsory purchase order of the line by Network Rail, but I can't see the current government authorising it.

4. devonexpress

devonexpress Member

Unless Devon Live have it wrong ist said that DCC and Dartmoor Railway joint lease Okehampton Station, or does that mean DCC own it but Dartmoor Railway run & maintain it? If so GWR could take over that role. I'm sure Aggregate Industries could work with GWR, give that GWR do driving training on the Dartmoor Railway. So if the newspaper stories are a load of mush, Why isn't a daily service already running or about to, also where is the GWR report into making a case for a daily service, surely that should be out soon given the franchises ends in less than 6 weeks.

5. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

As I understand it, DCC actually owns Okehampton Station. Dartmoor Railway Supporters Association lease rooms on platform 2 which I think they currently still have access to, they are also continuing to tend the gardens and maintain the platform area.

6. davetheguard

davetheguard Member

I wonder if they're still opening the cafe?

7. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

Sadly I think that currently remains closed Dave as it's situated in the main buildings on platform 3 and which I'm presuming was leased to Dartmoor Railway CIC/BARS which are the ones that have gone into administration rather than DRSA, at least that's as I understood it.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2020 at 20:31