• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dawlish sea wall collapse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyW33

Why funny?

I can see that its hold in Tiverton loop for 2hr 50 but that so the ECS does pass Dawlish until it is open.

Yes, but it starts from Exeter, heads east through Tiverton to Taunton, reverses, returns to Tiverton and sits in the loop as you say, then passes through Exeter again before reaching Dawlish and heading off to Laira. There's no obvious reason why it doesn't simply stay at Exeter until the line through Dawlish reopens instead of using fuel to go to Taunton and back.
Is it a mistake or is there some genuine reason, such as lack of space at Exeter? It's timed as an HST so attaching or detaching can't be the reason.

Rich McLean

Established Member
Yes, but it starts from Exeter, heads east through Tiverton to Taunton, reverses, returns to Tiverton and sits in the loop as you say, then passes through Exeter again before reaching Dawlish and heading off to Laira. There's no obvious reason why it doesn't simply stay at Exeter until the line through Dawlish reopens instead of using fuel to go to Taunton and back.
Is it a mistake or is there some genuine reason, such as lack of space at Exeter? It's timed as an HST so attaching or detaching can't be the reason.

Not enough space at Exeter I presume

oversteer

Interesting piece on the One Show last night about the repairs at Dawlish. I'm impressed with the speed they have got it back together!

meridian2

Interesting piece on the One Show last night about the repairs at Dawlish. I'm impressed with the speed they have got it back together!

Hear hear.

A superb job to all involved, considering what happened. I doff my deerstalker to you all at Network Rail.

455driver

Veteran Member
Not enough space at Exeter I presume

They are very short of space at Exeter when they have the normal 24? units there so as you say it is probably to free up a platform there, why they dont just send it down to just past St Thomas or somewhere to sit I dont know.

eastdyke

Established Member
Just seen a Freightliner 66 pass the Dawlish Beach webcam light engine traveling west.

Last edited:

tsr

Established Member
A 70 has done a couple of proving runs

That'll make sure the concrete is properly dried out. ;)

In seriousness, a massive "well done" to all those who have helped in the rebuilding effort. I won't be down that way for a little while, I shouldn't think, but I look forward to having a ride over the sea wall again at some point, nonetheless.

455driver

Veteran Member
Agreed TSR, When they first said they would have it open before Easter I thought "yeah and a partridge in a pear tree", but I take my hat off to the everyone who has been a part of making this happen, from the people that came up with the design, those who built the concrete segments, those who cleaned up the site and those who put everything together to give us the railway back.

Ladies and gents, step forward and take a bow!

You can have the rest of the week off! :lol:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Seems like the 6 week estimate (pre the second storm) wasn't so far out after all!

I'm reliably informed that the area repaired following the washout will be the last part of Devon to be washed away in the event of a cataclysmic future storm.

rfletcher72

First booked workings have just passed through Dawlish.

5Z46 FGW 150 eastbound, 5Z66 XC double Voyager westbound :D ,

Cheers,

Richard

(courtesy of CJM)

Rapidash

Friend of mine was on board. There was cake aplenty, apparently. :) I think that should be mandatory on all metro services at start of service!

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Full marks to everyone concrened at NR etc. Big job, done quickly and, I hope, well.

overtonchris

Full marks to everyone concrened at NR etc. Big job, done quickly and, I hope, well.

Would like to echo this......A hell of job done quickly (and I think we all hope competently)...maybe even "on time - within budget" might come into play. Well done to the guys/ gals on the ground....it looked such a messy situation.

Karl

On Moderation
Here's a train passing at 0811 (date stamp is 6 minutes fast). The next photo 20 seconds later the train was off shot.

camputerb86.jpg

I also notice that one of the residents has hung out a celebratory flag!! Nice work to all involved. I'm impressed.

53.jpg

--------------------------------

And another one at 0844

1033.jpg

Last edited:

overtonchris

Here's a train passing at 0811 (date stamp is 6 minutes fast). The next photo 20 seconds later the train was off shot.

View attachment 17677

I also notice that one of the residents has hung out a celebratory flag!! Nice work to all involved. I'm impressed.

View attachment 17678

--------------------------------

And another one at 0844

View attachment 17679

That's brilliant!!!! Sea still looks frighteningly close though!!!!:D

VT_Valenta

I think this does still prove that when push comes to shove - the UK with all it's engineering heritage can actually pull together a fantastic feat of design and engineering on time, to a fairly small budget (in the great scheme of things!) and get a service back to the South West.

If only we could do it more often!! :D

rfletcher72

That's brilliant!!!! Sea still looks frighteningly close though!!!!:D

It's just that the tide is in.

Despite their huge efforts and success at Dawlish, I do think on this score that even NR would not succeed where King Canute failed :lol: ,

Cheers,

Richard

Karl

On Moderation
... and here comes Mr Cameron :oops:

1034.jpg

(Apologies for the poor picture quality. They don't seem to be uploading at the same quality I saved them at?)

WillPS

Established Member
It's a great moment for Network Rail, that's for sure. This goes down with Workington North as one of the high points for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.