• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day rangers/rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

chefchenko

Some or most of these are great value for money !!
Yesterday i did a west mids day ranger,congleton to stoke-rugby-coventry-leamington spa-new st-bromsgrove-new st-rugeley tv-stafford-stoke-congleton for £20 !!!! congleton to rugby is best part of £40 according to NR ! No great trains of course,but routes ive never done before.
Previously ive done Cheshire Day Ranger for £19 and again great value.
Can anybody recommend another ????:idea:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lm321412

Yesterday i did a west mids day ranger,congleton to stoke-rugby-coventry-leamington spa-new st-bromsgrove-new st-rugeley tv-stafford-stoke-congleton for £20 !!!! congleton to rugby is best part of £40 according to NR ! No great trains of course,but routes ive never done before.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/promotions/rangers_and_rovers.html

There is loads, but I will recommend the North Wales Rover and Lancashire Dayranger. Both very similar in value to the ones above.

WestCoast

Established Member
I agree, some of the rovers are excellent value! :D

However, in some areas they are hardly promoted, so some passengers do end up paying more than they should do for individual journeys.

Crossover

Established Member
The East Midlands is quite a good one too and covers a fair area.

As for value for money, you probably can't beat the West Yorkshire one and although you would get mostly Northern stuff, the 333's are pretty good and it is valid on TPE, XC and EC and also (although not advertised) GC

strange6

Established Member
Previously ive done cheshire day rover for £19 and again great value.

The North West rover is superb value for money at 75 quid for 7 days. Considering you can go up to Carlisle from Warrington on this thing when it would cost you 40 quid just for one journey, I think that puts what excellent value for money it is

Established Member
I'd agree that the Freedom of the North West rovers are excellent value. If HSTs are your thing, I'd recommend the Thames Branches Day Rover, just shuttling back and forth between Paddington and Reading on HSTs like I did yesterday :lol:

lm321412

I'd agree that the Freedom of the North West rovers are excellent value. If HSTs are your thing, I'd recommend the Thames Branches Day Rover, just shuttling back and forth between Paddington and Reading on HSTs like I did yesterday :lol:

The Thames Rover is something i'm hoping to do soon.

It works out brilliant value because it would enable me to get those little branches I need whilst riding HSTs, 165s and 166s.

noddy1878

Established Member
The Thames Rover is something i'm hoping to do soon.

It works out brilliant value because it would enable me to get those little branches I need whilst riding HSTs, 165s and 166s.

I did one of these a few weeks ago and is very good value. Even more so with a Network Rail card. I did a freedom of north west earlier in the year which is good value. Also done several Freedom of south west rovers which gives 8 in 15 for £95. Covers a very big area. West midland is good and plan to do an east midland at some point.

wintonian

Established Member
I haven’t done that many but the Highland rover is my favourite so far and again is excellent value.

chefchenko

that would do me !! few yrs too late though now the valentas are gone :cry:

Yew

Established Member
Just letting you know, i have a thread planning my East midlands day ranger in the fares forum

465fan

Did the Devon Day Ranger yesterday for £10 - unlimited travel between Tiverton and Plymouth / Paignton, Gunnislake line, Barnstaple, Exmouth and SWT to Axminster. Cannot complain at that price.

Established Member
I'm hoping to do one of those in a few months' time, they seem like really good value.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
i like the south pennines day ranger as i enjoy travelling on the cross pennine routes :)

chefchenko

I didn't realise the WM Day Ranger was valid at Congleton ?

i knew somebody would spot it !!! i bought return to kidsgrove for £2.70 but i bought the ranger at congleton, even the guard questioned why i had 2 tickets, im just too honest eh :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
If HSTs are your thing, I'd recommend the Thames Branches Day Rover, just shuttling back and forth between Paddington and Reading on HSTs like I did yesterday :lol:

I did one in October 2009 (I think, about that sort of time anyway) for just that reason. As I was with my sister who was going to Windsor, I also scooped a required 165 on the branch, but the rest of the day was spent doing HSTs. Managed 6 round trips in the time between arriving in the area and having to leave, and although I rated HSTs extremely at the time, I got fed up of Reading to Paddington by the end of the day!

Likewise for the Oxfordshire Day Ranger which I did around that time a couple of weeks later. Didcot to Reading for most of the day, and that got well boring. Managed a trip to Oxford though which made for some variety and well welcomed. If you like HSTs, then both rangers are good value for money!

The West Midlands Day Ranger, did one of those last week and I agree that it's fantastic value for money. With my Y-P, I did Hereford > Birmingham > Stoke-on-Trent > Kidsgrove > Longport > Alsager > Crewe > Birmingham > Tamworth > Atherstone > Lichfield Trent Valley > Shenstone > Lichfield TV > Birmingham > Worcester > Hereford for £13.20! Excellent value, considering a day return with Y-P for Hereford to Birmingham is £9! Didn't think that ranger was valid from Congleton though, unless the OP means he had a separate ticket to Kidsgrove?

Freedom of Severn and Solent is possibly my most frequently bought rover, £26.50 with Y-P for a 3 in 7 and you can cover so much!

scrapy

Established Member

The West Midlands day ranger isn't valid to Congleton

FrostedOrange

Whilst the day rovers are obviously far cheaper, why not go all out and get an All Line Rover? For what they are - 7 days travel with few limitations - I'd say they're worth the money and are possibly the ultimate rover ticket avaliable. I'm planning on doing an ALR trip next summer with three friends, and even the complex planning stage (which I'm trying to stay out of!) is exciting - it's something everyone should save up to do.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
i bought it in congleton aswell as a return to kidsgrove which is in the ranger area !! flippin eck :|

Surprised how many of us picked up on it. I didn't read page 2 of this thread, thus missing your other post about the day ranger and additional ticket, before I made my post.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Whilst the day rovers are obviously far cheaper, why not go all out and get an All Line Rover? For what they are - 7 days travel with few limitations - I'd say they're worth the money and are possibly the ultimate rover ticket avaliable. I'm planning on doing an ALR trip next summer with three friends, and even the complex planning stage (which I'm trying to stay out of!) is exciting - it's something everyone should save up to do.

I'm doing one this August, assuming HMRC and my employer get their collective rear ends into gear and return the rather large sum of money they owe me back to me before then!

Day rangers are great, for sure, and I had forgotten about the Devon Day Ranger. Excellent value ticket for the distance you can cover in a day. As you say, the All Line Rover is the creme de la creme of tickets in this country, so before my last ever Y-P expires I'm getting on with getting one done. Been going to do one for years but something comes up and I want to do X railtour instead or some such. I promised last year I was going to do one this year, so hopefully in just under 5 weeks I'll be doing one!

The planning for an All Line Rover is indeed exciting, it's kept me busy on many a bus journey and into the early hours several times this year. No doubt as we get closer to the beginning of August, the excitement factor is going to be through the roof! I'm doing my ALR solo, as I believe doing one in the company of others would be detrimental to the task I've set myself, and that's getting the maximum mileage and coverage of required track possible during the week. Why detrimental? Others won't have the same demands as I, nor will they want to spend every night away from a bed (I'm trying to do the trip for as cheap as possible) or want the same track as me, etc. So I wish you the best of luck doing it with three other people, I can imagine you'll all be sick of each other's company after the trip for a while!

Ive just had 4 days on the freedom of wales.

Mainly around south wales, but coming from the north it got me down the marches.

Was a good 4 days. friday I did the Maesteg, Barry Island & Penarth branches. A spin on the wag as 57315 (winner) was on it.

Saturday, did the FGW HST to Pembroke Dock & back to Carmarthen, then did the Milford Haven branch.

Sunday. did all the west wales branches (including Fishguard) & a HST Carmarthen to Swansea.

Today. Mainly scratching winner units in around Cardiff, main winners were 121032 & 153377 (my last FGW 153). And finished in Wales on 153399 to Newport, for the forward WAG to Crewe with 57316.

Not added up the mileage yet.

Last edited:

FrostedOrange

I expect we will get tired of each other - especially as we're extending our trip to 9 days! We too avoid beds all nights but two, our general place of sleeping being sleeper trains.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sleepers will be where I spend most of my nights on my ALR, although I'll be on the cushions. Not spending all that money for a berth, I can sleep quite happily when tired enough on the cushions so that'll do me. I expect I'll be spending a lot of money on coffee, Pro Plus and energy drinks (most likely Emerge as it's only 30p a can at Asda) or any combination of that lot, but hey.

Oh, and welcome to the forum FrostedOrange :)

4SRKT

Established Member
Sleepers will be where I spend most of my nights on my ALR, although I'll be on the cushions. Not spending all that money for a berth, I can sleep quite happily when tired enough on the cushions so that'll do me. I expect I'll be spending a lot of money on coffee, Pro Plus and energy drinks (most likely Emerge as it's only 30p a can at Asda) or any combination of that lot, but hey.

Oh, and welcome to the forum FrostedOrange :)

You'll be knackered. Even in my early 20s I couldn't do more than about 3 nights on the trot on the cushions without feeling dead on my feet. Nowadays one night on the boat and the metal benches at Holyhead is enough to make me want to do myself in!

Status
Not open for further replies.