• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

dB apprenticeship trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MA8141

Quick update just to keep everyone in the loop, I had my DMI a couple of weeks back which thankfully I passed, I’ve been offered the position as long as I pass the medical which is booked for the start of September!

I think I have been very very lucky to even get this far, but so far everything from DB (communication, attitude etc) has been first class and I could not fault it one bit.

Fingers crossed for everyone else out there waiting for a response, they do get back to you but they are extremely busy.

If anyone has any questions (within reason of course) let me know and I’ll do my best to answer them!

Big well done mate, hopefully won’t be to far behind you now ! Good to see they are now picking people from the talent pool, there is hope !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Callmo

Well done fella! What depot did you go for? And how long was your wait from DMI to hearing that you got it?

Thank you very much! I went for Peterborough (Although I think it was listed as Cambridge) Which is good as it's defined as a hub, so from what I understand is that it's more or less straight into mainline driving as there is no depot there. I think the wait was just over a week (most nerve-racking time of my life!)

Big well done mate, hopefully won’t be to far behind you now ! Good to see they are now picking people from the talent pool, there is hope !

Thank you for the kind words, fingers crossed for you! I was under the impression that it was going to be a long old wait in the talent pool, but I've literally only been in there for 6-7 weeks at the most! I think I am very lucky as they are doing an area at a time and Peterborough was one of the first!

Carl95

I have also heard back from my DMI for the Cambridge depot in which I took on the 31st July and have been offered a position subject to a medical. So far DB Cargo have been a brilliant company to deal with, I initially applied for the job on the 10th June, attended an assessment day on the 18th June and was placed in the talent pool, received an DMI invite for the 31st July on the 22nd July and received a job offer on the 8th August.

Hopefully these timescales can act as a guide to others who are in a similar position to me!

Thank you very much! I went for Peterborough (Although I think it was listed as Cambridge) Which is good as it's defined as a hub, so from what I understand is that it's more or less straight into mainline driving as there is no depot there. I think the wait was just over a week (most nerve-racking time of my life!)

Thank you for the kind words, fingers crossed for you! I was under the impression that it was going to be a long old wait in the talent pool, but I've literally only been in there for 6-7 weeks at the most! I think I am very lucky as they are doing an area at a time and Peterborough was one of the first!

I can very much assure you there is a Depot at Peterborough. Its been my home for 28 years!! DB are trying the hub concept but I started at Peterborough Depot and it will always be Peterborough Depot

C001

I have passed my test at Doncaster ... and have my interview with the driver managers at kingmoor ( Carlisle ) next Thursday, any tips or hints for the interview questions mate ? Hoping it’s pretty straight forward as I have been in the railway 16 years already .

Carl95

I have passed my test at Doncaster ... and have my interview with the driver managers at kingmoor ( Carlisle ) next Thursday, any tips or hints for the interview questions mate ? Hoping it’s pretty straight forward as I have been in the railway 16 years already .

16 Years in the railway will definitely give you a great edge but my advise would be to make sure that you give real life examples as answers to the questions and make sure you tell the truth as they will find out if you don't. Also try and get straight the the point and don't waffle. I was nervous before my interview but once I met the recruitment team on the day they immediately made me feel more at ease.

Good luck with your interview!!

C001

16 Years in the railway will definitely give you a great edge but my advise would be to make sure that you give real life examples as answers to the questions and make sure you tell the truth as they will find out if you don't. Also try and get straight the the point and don't waffle. I was nervous before my interview but once I met the recruitment team on the day they immediately made me feel more at ease.

Good luck with your interview!!

Cheers thanks very much ... got plenty of scenarios in my head just hope I’ve remembered the right ones ! Had a lot happen in the railway and i am a guard at the minute .. so hope that helps ! 5 jobs and 5 getting interview just hope they fill all the vacancies!

C001

When did you have your dmi? I’m hoping it won’t be long ... I think they map out courses before they let you know .. get contract and medical drawn up .. hopefully I will find out soon after but depends on hr really I think getting in touch ,
Have you tried calling Christy?

ForestRail

When did you have your dmi? I’m hoping it won’t be long ... I think they map out courses before they let you know .. get contract and medical drawn up .. hopefully I will find out soon after but depends on hr really I think getting in touch ,
Have you tried calling Christy?
It'll be 4weeks this Thursday. I'm hoping it won't be be too long before a yay or nay but will call this week to find out I reckon.

GeniusB

Hi guy's,

Did anyone apply for Acton Depot ? Haven't heard anything since June 16th , not sure if my application is still being considered.

ForestRail

You should be able to log on to the DB to check your application. Still on assessment for me...

ForestRail

I wondered about this originally, but if you go to the login page and put your email that you applied on and the password you set up,+I had to reset mine...) You can login that way

C001

It'll be 4weeks this Thursday. I'm hoping it won't be be too long before a yay or nay but will call this week to find out I reckon.

Any news yet mate .. that’s been a week since had my mmi, went really really well and they did mention my experience is a great advantage, but won’t get my hopes up yet ... did say it could be a while till I find out .

C001

Well that’s me just had a job offered for junior driver at kingmoor , even though we all applied for trainee they have offered us all junior drivers jobs .. so I’ve accepted and hopefully will be mainline driver quite quickly .

Scaramanga

Congrats. Junior Driver jobs for Newport have been canned recently as the location is no longer suitable.
Port Talbot will be the only location in South Wales to offer them, for info on those waiting.

GeniusB

Well that’s me just had a job offered for junior driver at kingmoor , even though we all applied for trainee they have offered us all junior drivers jobs .. so I’ve accepted and hopefully will be mainline driver quite quickly .
Oh wow, well done mate, how long was you waiting since first submitting application ?

C001

I applied on the 11th of June.. test start of August at Doncaster .. mmi start of September and a week and 1 day later I just had a phone call to say I have junior drivers job that will lead to mainline driver . It was a phone call from the area manager aswel not hr , all the paper work is getting a sent through so my medical can get booked and course dates sorted out .

GeniusB

I applied on the 11th of June.. test start of August at Doncaster .. mmi start of September and a week and 1 day later I just had a phone call to say I have junior drivers job that will lead to mainline driver . It was a phone call from the area manager aswel not hr , all the paper work is getting a sent through so my medical can get booked and course dates sorted out .
That's pretty a pretty quick and prompt process, I applied in May got sent email in June saying they were procecesing other applications and will be in contact in 2 weeks, but heard nothing since, I applied for Acton Depot by the way, London based.

C001

That's pretty a pretty quick and prompt process, I applied in May got sent email in June saying they were procecesing other applications and will be in contact in 2 weeks, but heard nothing since, I applied for Acton Depot by the way, London based.

I would give Christy a ring mate see what the score is ... I think there is a lot to get through and the north is very short of drivers at the minute I know that much ... kingmoor have took 4 junior drivers on with 5 spaces in the link to move in to for mainline drivers if and when they want us to

GeniusB

I would give Christy a ring mate see what the score is ... I think there is a lot to get through and the north is very short of drivers at the minute I know that much ... kingmoor have took 4 junior drivers on with 5 spaces in the link to move in to for mainline drivers if and when they want us to
Ok cheers pal, good shout will do just that and give a call.

MA8141

Anyone had a medical and got all the way to starting yet ? Congrats to all that have made it to the very end, job offers and that

ForestRail

Congrats. Junior Driver jobs for Newport have been canned recently as the location is no longer suitable.
Port Talbot will be the only location in South Wales to offer them, for info on those waiting.
Oh bugger, are they likely to let candidates know officially at all? Port Talbot is a bit too far out for me :(

Scaramanga

Oh bugger, are they likely to let candidates know officially at all? Port Talbot is a bit too far out for me :(

They will in course, but seem still to be deciding whats happening locally with existing junior drivers and potential mainline moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.