dB apprenticeship trainee drivers

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by baz962, 7 Jun 2019.

1. baz962

baz962 Established Member

On indeed website

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Jun 2019
  2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ComUtoR

ComUtoR Established Member

As predicted. GCSE Maths and English added to the recruitment criteria. "!$"$£!£$'ks

4. michael74

michael74 Member

If db are using the Apprenticeship Levy to fund this, then I think its the Levy that dictates the entry criteria.

5. Joliver

Joliver Member

Most will follow suit as they're all going towards an apprenticeship qualification (NVQ) at the end of training. I got lucky, my TOC didn't require you must have the grades etc, as they put us through a course to gain the equivalent. They probably will in the future though. Plus it's another way of sifting.

6. tom foote

tom foote Member

Just applied

Last edited: 7 Jun 2019
  7. ComUtoR

It's just about the money. Our TOC doesn't currently require Maths and English but I am certain that they will in the future. I'd agree that its just become another way to sift candidates.

8. ComUtoR

It is clearly part of the criteria.

If you click the Indeed link and expand the qualifications criteria on the DB site it also reiterates the criteria. It is worth noting that :

https://jobs.deutschebahngroup.care...um=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed&idOrigine=1522

9. tom foote

tom foote Member

It doesn't ask for grades though when you apply that's what I meant:|

10. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

I believe all apprenticeships require grades A to C in maths and English. However, if you don’t have them at entry, you’re often allowed to obtain these (there’s a scheme whereby you can do equivalent tests to get these grades?).

This seems to be a new approach for DB Cargo, unless they’re also still recruiting the conventional ‘trainee drivers’ too? When I applied for a JD position there was no mention of it being an apprenticeship. I know they have also just renewed their application portal too, which is much easier to use and is more than just a word document now.

11. tom foote

tom foote Member

I did a plumbing & heating apprenticeship in 2006 and yes you needed GCSE grade C or above, if not you had to complete a "life skills" Course as well, completely out of order making people do unnecessary courses but thats what were all coming to sadly:rolleyes:

12. Numbnuts846

Numbnuts846 Member

I wonder what the pay for this is ? Also no mention of locations , the last email I got from db cargo in respect of drivers positions I applied for was that everything was on hold and they would keep my details on file .

13. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

When I started my apprenticeship in vehicle mechanics back in 1999 you just needed to have an aptitude for the job....Or a pulse.

14. Numbnuts846

Numbnuts846 Member

Just found the location..... dam early turns catching up with me

15. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

I’ve just had a look at their website and see there’s a lot of talent looks for roles at DB Cargo at the moment, is this because of a big contract they expect to get or something? Seem to be a lot more vacancies than there have been previously...

16. Twotwo

Twotwo Member

Wanted to apply but my 6 months (failed an mmi) is up end of next month.

17. tom foote

tom foote Member

Anyone know if it's ok to apply for more than 1 location? Interested in both Cornwall & Cambridge locations

18. tom foote

tom foote Member

Half the class I'd have kicked out the door on day 1, some people just aren't Capable of independent thought

19. tiptoptaff

tiptoptaff Established Member

Looking on the website, it appears they're all of the Junior Driver grade, ie their yard-only drivers.

Quite a rang of locations though.

20. tiptoptaff

21. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Looks like both potentially as it says Junior/Trainee Driver? Seems like Eastleigh/Westbury isn’t there, which were depots where they froze recruitment after I had my DMI/SAM interview for JD. I guess the Mendip contract or lack of, still renders this the case.

I’m glad now though as it’s worked out for the better for me anyway of course.

22. ROCsteadycrew

ROCsteadycrew Member

I'd like to know this too if anyone can help? Also what's the best way to do it if allowed - Just apply for two positions separately using the same account?

23. tiptoptaff

I think it's all Junior Driver as is specifically mentions driving within designated yards

24. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Maybe then. However I seem to recall there being similar confusion on other campaigns for drivers at DB Cargo where they just used the job description for Junior Driver, even for mainline driver and vice versa.

25. Marx

Marx Member

So what about all us if waiting in the talent pool at the moment after the recent recruitment drive ... no word from DB about whether we are going to be offered jobs but now they are advertising for apprentice drivers ... crazy

26. Stigy

Stigy Established Member

Call them Monday morning mate.

27. Marx

Marx Member

Emailed christy last week no reply .. but yeah I’ll give it a go

28. Atishyou

Atishyou Member

Not all locations have Junior Drivers. Some do, some don't. Those that do, going forward, I understand, are recruiting mainline drivers via the Junior role first, so if you want to move to mainline, you'd have to be a junior first.

29. tiptoptaff

Does Newport have them?

30. Atishyou

Atishyou Member

Not sure if I'm honest, I'll see what I can find out.

If it doesn't have them now, it may do in the future.

31. tiptoptaff

Cheers - seems like the ideal place to have them, with ADJ shunts straddling the reliefs, and the odd tripper along the Uskmouth branch