• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Cargo Driver Vacancies - many locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExMover

Interesting!

http://uk.dbcargo.com/file/rail-uk-...TsQG6dwSwWgRqE/14389046/data/Train_Driver.pdf

Train Driver Various locations

DB Cargo has a number of opportunities available for qualified train drivers in various locations for the new role of ‘Train Operator’.

The roles will be based in the following geographical areas: East Midlands, Hampshire, Oxfordshire, Peak District, South Wales, South Yorkshire, West Yorkshire, Wiltshire and West London.

This is an exciting time to join the team as we launch our future business model. Join us as we move forward with plans to lead the next generation of rail freight.

Our success is not left to chance: our people steer and control the transport networks of today and create the future of transport. They embody our shared mission of shaping the future with their excellent performance and commitment to customer service. Can you rise to this challenge?

What you’ll be doing

As a ‘Train Operator’ you will be responsible for driving and operating trains to deliver rail services to our customers. You will directly contribute to our service delivery and have the opportunity to influence the service offering to our customers.

Your route learning and retention of route knowledge will be supported by a new web based delivery solution accessed via a tablet.

Who we’re looking for

Qualified train drivers with a manual vehicle driving license, with a flexible approach, a great attitude and a passion for safety and customer service.

Why work for us

A competitive salary as well as regional and travel allowances and premiums for Sunday working, with an attractive benefits package.

Train Operators will work a base contract of 192 working instances based on 1595 hours per year, with 172 days free from duty each calendar year.

You will benefit from our development opportunities in an international and growing company. Developing our people and providing motivating careers and opportunities is crucial to our success.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Aivilo

No different than heavy haul asking people they made redundant to come back. Freights a joke

ExMover

Considering how many drivers they have laid off, interesting is one word you can use to describe it.
Confusing and surprising would be 2 other words. I wonder how long before there's another trainee intake?

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Confusing and surprising would be 2 other words. I wonder how long before there's another trainee intake?

I also wonder that - depends how sustainable the traffic increases are, and how many of the redundant guys go back to them

dctraindriver

I don't know if I'm interested in this or not.....

Anyone in the know especially Hampshire based?

Crazyb

For a driver, it would have to be a big NO NO, unless you're desperate.

I would only recommend these jobs only, if you're a redundant man. Even for a new trainee (If they decided to take any on) I would still be 50/50.

Giving up a job to become a trainee driver, then thinking you can move on to a TOC.
Well some drivers found this out how hard this is !!

Just be careful what you choose, unless it's for Freightliner Intermodal, they are more stable.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I think it will generate interest from redundant drivers who are probably looking for a job anyway - as for trainees, I'd never say don't go for it. Ultimately I think the struggle to find jobs as a qualified in some areas of the country has been due to a glut of redundant drivers....

Spoken to an internal source, they laying off the older guys on the BR T&C's and looking for new drivers on new T&C's

Hit the nail on the head very hard indeed there. DB will now have "floating booking on points" among a host of other poorer ts and cs that will help reduce costs. Apparently they've got some hs2 contracts too and other stuff coming through. Yes, freight would appear to be in disarray at times but with an eco drive to get stuff off the roads only likely to get stronger, and a steady trickle of drivers heading from freight to passenger, I'd say the chance of trainees in freight medium term will be high.

Scotrail84

Established Member
No Scottish locations. Then again Millerhill, Falkland, Thornton and Mossend appear to be dying on their feet.

whoosh

Established Member
Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

You can be booked on at any time (for up to 11 hours 30 minutes) on Saturdays and Sundays with only two days notice.

On weekdays you will be given a time window you can be booked on in. Such as 06:00 to 12:00. So theoretically you could be at work from 06:00 to 17:30, or 12:00 to 23:30 or anywhere in-between.
HOWEVER, you can be moved out of your window (because that simply isn't flexible enough is it?!) as long as your duty time is reduced from 11 hours 30 minutes by the amount you are moved out of the window.
So you could be 00:01 to 05:32 or 18:00 to 23:30 even though your time window is 06:00 to 12:00. The only caveat is if you are booked on before 03:00 you can't be booked on after 05:00 for the remaining days that week.
Forget having a social life. Forget planning anything at weekends.
I'd rather be a bus driver than work for them. There's plenty of TOCs that need Drivers or will do over the next few years. Give these bunch of clowns a wide berth. They've treated their employees disgracefully, and had the nerve to beg drivers they were making redundant to stay for a few more months (on the new poorer T&Cs) because they can't run a bath properly, nevermind a company.

Last edited:

Tyrion

You can be booked on at any time (for up to 11 hours 30 minutes) on Saturdays and Sundays with only two days notice.

On weekdays you will be given a time window you can be booked on in. Such as 06:00 to 12:00. So theoretically you could be at work from 06:00 to 17:30, or 12:00 to 23:30 or anywhere in-between.
HOWEVER, you can be moved out of your window (because that simply isn't flexible enough is it?!) as long as your duty time is reduced from 11 hours 30 minutes by the amount you are moved out of the window.
So you could be 00:01 to 05:32 or 18:00 to 23:30 even though your time window is 06:00 to 12:00. The only caveat is if you are booked on before 03:00 you can't be booked on after 05:00 for the remaining days that week.
I'd rather be a bus driver than work for them. There's plenty of TOCs that need Drivers or will do over the next few years. Give these bunch of clowns a wide berth. They've treated their employees disgracefully, and had the nerve to beg drivers they were making redundant to stay for a few more months (on the new poorer T&Cs) because they can't run a bath properly, nevermind a company.

Great Post!

And what's the salary for this "future business model"?!

Groggy

Hi whoosh
i dont really understand what you are saying.
does this mean you can be moved from earlies to lates or lates to earlies at any point?
is there no set rest day pattern or link work?
i wont lie, i am very interested in this job as its what ive wanted to do for the last 20 odd years as a passenger guard and driver but obviously i need a long hard think about these t&c's
cheers

whoosh

Established Member
Hi whoosh
does this mean you can be moved from earlies to lates or lates to earlies at any point?
i wont lie,* i am very interested in this job as its what ive wanted to do for the last 20 odd years as a passenger guard and driver but obviously i need a long hard think about these t&c's
cheers

Yes each day is a 'time band' of either:
00:01 - 05:59
06:00 - 11:59
12:00 - 17:59
18:00 - 23:59
You will be allocated a job that starts between those times, that's up to 11 hours 30 minutes in duration. You can be booked on anywhere within your 'hub' (so you could be driving in your own time 30 miles before and after your shift)

You can be moved out of your time band but the shift length has to be reduced from 11h30 by the amount it's moved outside the band. So for example you could be in the 12:00 - 17:59 band but you could actually be booked on at 06:00 or 23:59 providing it's only a 5h30 long job. You could be booked on at 09:00 or 20:59 if it was a 8h30 job.

You'll know what your rest days are, except these can be changed by the company when the roster is posted, if that week contains a Bank Holiday. (Good luck over the Christmas period!)

On Saturdays and Sundays the time bands are 00:01 - 23:59

You won't find out what you are doing next Sunday to Friday until up to 23:59 on the previous Friday. And for Saturday you won't find out until upto 11:00 the day before.

Just think what that means for a minute. That means that if you aren't Rest Days over the weekend, you won't know what you are doing until the Friday approaching that weekend.

1 in 8 weeks is a 'flex week' - they pick what days off you are having and what hours you'll work, you'll have no idea in advance.

Seasonal rosters - during peaks in customer demand, rest days can be replaced with instances of work. Rest Days will be given back in preceding or subsequent rosters.

This is why Voluntary Redundancy at the firm was massively oversubscribed.

And now look, "Oh we've got rid of loads of experienced drivers, and changed Terms & Conditions for the worse, and now we'll advertise for any old desperate 'yes man' to come and work for us and they'll be so grateful. And they'll never leave because no-one else will have them after all the incidents they end up having due to fatigue. Then we'll have them captive and make things even worse."

Said a cynic!

Sick pay has been reduced. I think it's 6 weeks full pay, six weeks half pay now, however long your service is. Some illnesses/conditions/hospital waiting lists can have you unable to work for more than 12 weeks as a train driver, so bear that in mind.

You are only entitled to one 20 minute break if your duty is over 6 hours long.

All instances of duty have a commitment to be extended by 3 hours, up to a maximum of 11h30. So even a short job can be turned into a long one.

A bus driver might be half the pay, but a stable roster is worth a lot more than twice as much!
If you want to be a Train Driver then join a TOC.

Bodiddly

Hi whoosh
i wont lie, i am very interested in this job as its what ive wanted to do for the last 20 odd years as a passenger guard and driver but obviously i need a long hard think about these t&c's
cheers

No offence Groggy, fair play to you for chasing your dream but as long as there are guys keen on the job, no amount of rubbish T&C's will deter them. DB as with any other railway company in these times, know that there is a steady stream of potential talent desperate to land a railway job. In times where T &C's are being eroded as the older guys retire some of these companies are getting away with murder. It has wider implications for the industry as a whole.

GB

Established Member
You will be allocated a job that starts between those times, that's up to 11 hours 30 minutes in duration. You can be booked on anywhere within your 'hub' (so you could be driving in your own time 30 miles before and after your shift)

You can be moved out of your time band but the shift length has to be reduced from 11h30 by the amount it's moved outside the band. So for example you could be in the 12:00 - 17:59 band but you could actually be booked on at 06:00 or 23:59 providing it's only a 5h30 long job. You could be booked on at 09:00 or 20:59 if it was a 8h30 job.

You'll know what your rest days are, except these can be changed by the company when the roster is posted, if that week contains a Bank Holiday. (Good luck over the Christmas period!)

You won't find out what you are doing next Sunday to Friday until up to 23:59 on the previous Friday. And for Saturday you won't find out until upto 11:00 the day before.

Just think what that means for a minute. That means that if you aren't Rest Days over the weekend, you won't know what you are doing until the Friday approaching that weekend.

1 in 8 weeks is a 'flex week' - they pick what days off you are having and what hours you'll work, you'll have no idea in advance.

Seasonal rosters - during peaks in customer demand, rest days can be replaced with instances of work. Rest Days will be given back in preceding or subsequent rosters.

And now look, "Oh we've got rid of loads of experienced drivers, and changed Terms & Conditions for the worse, and now we'll advertise for any old desperate 'yes man' to come and work for us and they'll be so grateful. And they'll never leave because no-one else will have them after all the incidents they end up having due to fatigue. Then we'll have them captive and make things even worse."

Said a cynic!

Sick pay has been reduced. I think it's 6 weeks full pay, six weeks half pay now, however long your service is. Some illnesses/conditions/hospital waiting lists can have you unable to work for more than 12 weeks as a train driver, so bear that in mind.

All instances of duty have a commitment to be extended by 3 hours, up to a maximum of 11h30. So even a short job can be turned into a long one.

A bus driver might be half the pay, but a stable roster is worth a lot more than twice as much!

F me and theres me thinking GB had it rough!

No offence Groggy, fair play to you for chasing your dream but as long as there are guys keen on the job, no amount of rubbish T&C's will deter them. DB as with any other railway company in these times, know that there is a steady stream of potential talent desperate to land a railway job. In times where T &C's are being eroded as the older guys retire some of these companies are getting away with murder. It has wider implications for the industry as a whole.

I take it therefore that union power on the freight side of things is very minimal compared passenger work as what is described in this thread is a world away from passenger work. I guess the threat of withdrawing Labour carries far less influence when your due to move 10 wagons of ballast rather than thousands of commuters every morning.

Atishyou

Whilst most of the stuff in this thread is accurate, the sickness is not.

It's 6 months full pay, then reviewed on an individual basis.

whoosh

Established Member
Whilst most of the stuff in this thread is accurate, the sickness is not.

It's 6 months full pay, then reviewed on an individual basis.

Thanks for that. I might have got that mixed up with a previous version of what they were proposing.

Spankthemonkey said:
I take it therefore that union power on the freight side of things is very minimal compared passenger work as what is described in this thread is a world away from passenger work.

What the company did was said they needed to make hundreds of redundancies as they were failing to produce a profit. They then changed Terms and conditions for the worse, but had the Voluntary Severance package which it could mess around with (I.e. change to what the minimum the law allows) as leverage. ASLEF recommended "Get out while you can" to it's members.

Last edited:

class 9

And a mate who drives for VTEC is considering going back to them.. :s:s

Needs his head read! £10 grand pay cut, no job security and a lot more unsocial shifts, I'll gladly swap him, I'm at FLIM, as long as I don't have to do that bull**** selection day!

dctraindriver

Said a cynic!

I'll think I'll stay put :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.