• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Class 60 for sale

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ExRes

Established Member
Another dreadful EWS/DB waste of assets, it seems that these locos have been stored since Nov 2004, June 2006, February 2009, April 2005 & October 2005

ic31420

Without checking my records arnt these some of the ones with holes in engines and heavy stripping?

Might be good for a reengineerimg programme

Roast Veg

Established Member
While it seems like a waste to sell them, it couldn't really be a better time to do so for DB - with HS2 on the horison their value will have inched up, and they also need to vacaste Toton at some point.

furnessvale

Established Member
Without checking my records arnt these some of the ones with holes in engines and heavy stripping?

Might be good for a reengineerimg programme
I should imagine that any potential purchaser will pay exactly what they are worth, whether that be scrap value or a suitability for reuse.

malc-c

I thought I would be cheeky and ask what the reserve price was :)

Here's the reply

Thank you for your mail. I’m afraid we don’t disclose the reserve and second hand locos are just like second hand cars when it comes to value – it depends on their condition. I understand that they are non-runners and some of them will probably have parts missing in varying degrees or been robbed of copper and more valuable metal (a menace in the rail industry). I’m sorry I can’t give you anything more definitive but thank you for your interest.

colchesterken

Anyone any idea what a runner big diesel would cost, I was thinking from a preservation point of view

433N

Not as cheeky as their reply.

I'm sure most second hand car dealers, would tell you how much they were asking for a car. Plus, they would probably be able to tell you which parts were missing ... rather than 'it's a non-runner' ...

Yes, I know I know, they are their locomotives and they can do what they like with them ... but it's hard to like this way of doing business. You could run around doing all your due diligence and wasting alot of time and effort to put in a bid for some rusting hulks, only to find out (or not) that the reserve was £1m per loco.

These are all knackered, 60081 threw a piston through the engine room door hence why it is missing. I suspect this is just a procedural exercise prior to stripping them for spares for the GBRF and DCR rebuilds.

Silverlinky

Here's the reply

Their advert says that a reserve price has been set against each locomotive...this implies that there are differing prices for each, which is surely based on what condition they are in.......they just don't want to tell you!!

fgwrich

Established Member

433N

Only cosmetic....that will all buff out! :D

Quite clearly, it didn't and so they just painted over it with some EWS marroon that they found at the back of the shed. ;)

(Could have done with a second coat, though)

hwl

Established Member
All conveniently near the ends of the "scrap" lines....

Bezza49

These are all knackered, 60081 threw a piston through the engine room door hence why it is missing. I suspect this is just a procedural exercise prior to stripping them for spares for the GBRF and DCR rebuilds.

GBRf rebuilds? I thought they had 10 x active ones, plus 004, 014 & 018 as spares for those 10?

ExRes

Established Member
Just out of interest, let's say that one or more of the four DCR locos required the odd bit of major surgery, are DBC going to take the required parts off the scrap line engines and charge for them like Halfords would or are they required to advertise the locos for sale in order to scrap them on behalf of the buyer for their parts? In ye olde days the owner could do as they pleased with their own property of course, but now?

Could it be of interest that the four DCR locos were all stored at Crewe rather than in the Toton graveyard? I seem to recall that, at the very least, some of the Colas purchases were also at Crewe

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Have any 60s been scrapped yet or are there officially still all 100 on the books?

hwl

Established Member
Just out of interest, let's say that one or more of the four DCR locos required the odd bit of major surgery, are DBC going to take the required parts off the scrap line engines and charge for them like Halfords would or are they required to advertise the locos for sale in order to scrap them on behalf of the buyer for their parts? In ye olde days the owner could do as they pleased with their own property of course, but now?

Could it be of interest that the four DCR locos were all stored at Crewe rather than in the Toton graveyard? I seem to recall that, at the very least, some of the Colas purchases were also at Crewe
Part of the issue is DB specific in that the 3 way merger that produced EWS got a lot of ex BR stuff for knocked down price, a dominant market position and control of a lot of surplus stock making it harder for new market entrants. I seem to remember that the competition commission as then was got involved a a deal was brokered as regards ex BR assets being offered to the open market via tender so DB couldn't just scrap them to reduce competition.
Drip, drip, drip type disposal and requiring buyers to get a super 60 overhaul done at Toton pre-delivery also provides a small steady income stream for DB.

DBS92042

Established Member
All 100 are still extant, in one form or another. Though I wouldn't be surprised if 60081 becomes the first of the class to be cut up.
Or the ones like 60070 as I think thats pretty much an empty shell now after many years of storage.

Ianigsy

I wouldn't be surprised if a Great Western buff put a bid in for 60081 just because.

richieb1971

Established Member
I know you won't believe me but the chief at dB toton has told many times that all examples of the class can be activated again. It's money that you need to do it.

I'd assume a lot of time as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Great Western buff put a bid in for 60081 just because.

Mad if they did, it is one of the worst condition class 60.

I know you won't believe me but the chief at dB toton has told many times that all examples of the class can be activated again. It's money that you need to do it.

Anything is achievable with the right resources and enough money. While it might be possible there is no inclination that DB would spend the money required. The fact they have sold 20 or so over the years suggests there is absolutely no plan to reinstate any thing approaching the full 100 loco's. I would imagine with the HS2 work we may see 40 to 50 of them back in use in total

Nym

Established Member
You can still buy all the parts and everything is supported, so this doesn't surprise me.

randyrippley

Established Member
Including crankcases?

What else uses these engines?
Fairly standard engine, though probably usually lower rated
Quite a number in small ships like dredgers, trawlers, ferries. Should be possible to pick up bits from ship breakers yards.
There are a number of spares dealers, such as
http://www.lincolndiesels.com/engines/mirrlees-blackstone/mirrlees-blackstone-mb-275

Whats more likely to be a problem sourcing is the various electronic control systems which use seriously outdated technology

Last edited: