• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB class 90 updates

Excellent work there, it would be a shame to be binned off, it will never work again but still nice to see,and 43018 does look superb

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
other than it being one of the final electric locomotives built at Crewe, I’m not sure why there is so much interest in 90050 in particular. Am I missing something?

xotGD

Established Member
other than it being one of the final electric locomotives built at Crewe, I’m not sure why there is so much interest in 90050 in particular. Am I missing something?
Well with me it is a running joke that I need it for haulage so I am waiting patiently for it to return to traffic.

Hope is not lost!

The_Train

Established Member
Not sure it is anything other than the fact that Freightliner have agreed to lease it to the Heritage Centre as they no longer need it now it is gutted for parts

Rhysdabeast

Established Member
90019/20/21/24/26/28/29/34/35/36/37/39 now up for sale

The_Train

Established Member
Without wanting to head down the speculative route too much, is there actually any likely home for all of these in the UK?
Freightliner already have a good number of them in their fleet, DRS don't utilise their 88s fully, Colas & DCR don't seem to have any call for electric locos & GB have the 99s on order.

I know the Grand Union OAO bids in the past have included use of electric locos but there is now a lack of suitable coaching stock so I guess that is another option out of the running (presuming they are still proceeding with these bids). Is export the most likely option at this stage?

leomartin125

Certainly sad to see, especially many of these have had many hours/days/months invested into them. I guess this confirms that DB see no future for electric hauled rail freight, and in other news, they have been selling off paths and seemingly laying off drivers. The way it is going, I would be surprised if DB Cargo has a UK operation by the end of the decade. One of the biggest contracts, the Mendip operation, went to Freightliner and that definitely was the first nail in the coffin!

Without wanting to head down the speculative route too much, is there actually any likely home for all of these in the UK?
Freightliner already have a good number of them in their fleet, DRS don't utilise their 88s fully, Colas & DCR don't seem to have any call for electric locos & GB have the 99s on order.

I know the Grand Union OAO bids in the past have included use of electric locos but there is now a lack of suitable coaching stock so I guess that is another option out of the running (presuming they are still proceeding with these bids). Is export the most likely option at this stage?

I very much doubt they have a future in the UK, after all it is the electricity costs and track access charges that have caused DB to withdraw them in the first place.

With Freightliner, a lot of their previously electric services became 66s for a long time and although they now have a wealth of 90s, I still see them as under-utilised especially given their potential. We have plenty of Trafford Park, Ditton and Garston paths all covered by 66s and that doesn't seem to change.

wickham

Reference Post 69 and subsequent regarding the 12 Class 90s offered for sale by DB on 14th September 2023: This is a completely different batch to those offered for sale in the last few days, but what was the result of that sale offer ? I have seen no news regarding the outcome - were there no takers or is the result still to be announced ?

meld3

Strongly suspect the 2023 withdrawn ones end up in Eastern Europe like so many UK AC locos have, as there is no obvious UK use for them.

On Moderation
Strongly suspect the 2023 withdrawn ones end up in Eastern Europe like so many UK AC locos have, as there is no obvious UK use for them.
The market in Eastern Europe has changed, though, with leasing companies increasingly active and having some mid-life fleets (TRAXX AC etc). Siemens also now offer their low-cost Smartron locos.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Good chance for an up and coming operator (if one exists) together with the 67s. It’s a sad state of affairs really.

Murray J

The market in Eastern Europe has changed, though, with leasing companies increasingly active and having some mid-life fleets (TRAXX AC etc). Siemens also now offer their low-cost Smartron locos.
All of the Freightliner 86s that remained in service until final withdrawal went on to export to Bulgaria though so there's still demand apparently.

Has there been any news on the intended sale of these or are they still just all parked up at Crewe getting damp

Trainman40083

Why have DB's 90's been taken out of service and stored at Crewe?
Basically because it is cheaper to run the trains with diesels than electricity due to the sharp increases in power. The freight operators could not pass the increased cost to the customers, so opted for lowest cost option. In time, I'd expect more 92s on tunnel freights, especially when gauge enhancements are done through Kent to W12 gauge for containers.. More over the network, I guess the 93/99 bimodes etc are the future.

zwk500

Veteran Member
I believe so. WNXX reports that 90033 was stored April 2005, and 90030 was stored January 2006, so it's entirely realistic that these 2 locos have spent approx half their lives in store.
Were they being used as spares donors, or will the parts be recovered before final scrapping?

Arh 033 was on of my last three, I had 233 but not 033, the other two are 023 and 050 so no chance of finishing the skodas for me

Established Member
According to a tweet (X) from Todays Railways Magazine, 90038 also left Crewe Electric depot to head to Sandbach Commercial Dismantlers.

Adrian1980uk

Real problem that make electric traction uneconomical is the lack of OHLE, I'm surprised any freight company would use electric when for example freightliner need a class 66 from Felixstowe to Ipswich, then change to 2 90s down the GEML, think of the cost of faff changing and time compared with just driving straight on the 66