• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Schenker Items for Disposal September 2011 - Inc 47799 & 56006

Status
Not open for further replies.

fgwrich

Established Member
Seems as though DB are on another clear out - this time including the once preserved / 'EWS Heritage Fleet' 56006 dumped up in Barrow Hill, and Ex Royal 47799!

ITEMS FOR DISPOSAL:

SEPTEMBER 2011

DB Schenker has the following locomotives available for sale:

LOCOMOTIVES

Loco
2 56007 Crewe TMD
3 56018 Warrington
4 56031 Crewe TMD
5 56032 Crewe TMD
6 56037 Crewe TMD
7 56038 Crewe TMD
8 56046 Toton TMD
9 56049 Crewe TMD
10 56051 Crewe TMD
11 56058 Crewe TMD
12 56060 Crewe TMD
13 56065 Crewe TMD
14 56069 Crewe TMD
15 56073 Toton TMD
16 56074 Crewe TMD
17 56077 Crewe TMD
18 56078 Crewe TMD
19 56081 Crewe TMD
20 56087 Crewe TMD
21 56090 Crewe TMD
22 56091 Eastleigh
23 56094 Crewe TMD
24 56096 Crewe TMD
25 56103 Crewe TMD
26 56104 Crewe TMD
27 56105 Crewe TMD
28 56106 Crewe TMD
29 56112 Crewe TMD
30 56113 Crewe TMD
31 56115 Eastleigh
32 56117 Eastleigh
33 56133 Crewe TMD
34 47799 Crewe TMD
35 S10198 0-4-0
Rolls-Royce Sentinel Orb Works

These locomotives will be sold as seen and as and where lying. The successful bidders will be required to remove the Locomotives from their present site at their own expense and without any assistance from DBSR.

Please register your interest for these locomotives in accordance with the “Guide to making an offer for a locomotive” by clicking on this link: http://www.rail.dbschenker.co.uk/disposals/disposals.html

The closing date for registrations of interest for these locomotives is at 1000hrs Monday 31st October, 2011. Tender documents will be issued upon receipt of your expression of interest.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

A lot of old friends in that list, probably all bound for a one way journey to Kingsbury :(

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Out of interest, what is the going price for these things?
Are they still main line registered, if so whats the going rate to charter someone to move it to one of the heritage railways with a connection to the mainline? :D

ole man

What is the going rate for a class 56 locomotive?, ive noticed scrap dealers buy most of DB's disposal's.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Shame about 56113 that's a personal favourite of mine, suppose the same could be said about every other loco, but its the way of the world can't do much!

sprinterguy

Established Member
As 37372 says, there are indeed quite a lot of old favourites in that list. No doubt to be shortly consigned to the history books forever in the vast majority of cases. :(

There's quite a lot of locos on that list that I would like to see preserved, but I know that it wouldn't be feasible, or neccessary. I strongly believe that 56006 should reach preservation: A few years ago I imagined that it would be a dead cert for a life in preservation, when it was being paraded around every open day going in BR blue livery.

fgwrich

Established Member
What is the going rate for a class 56 locomotive?, ive noticed scrap dealers buy most of DB's disposal's.

And with the farce surrounding 37670 (Where some group wanted to preserve several class 37s in Kingsbury, but as usual of some of these groups - had absolutly 0 money, even with Harry Needle / EMR Eventually being told the lottery ticket is on its way...Hmmmm - Full case is on WNXX forum), It'll probably make preserving locos bought from scrapyards even more difficult! :roll:

Personally, i am supprised about 47799 & 56006 - The latter having been placed into EWS's Heritage fleet / Preserved fleet and as you say Sprinterguy, having been paraded around verious shows and open weekends, and 47799 - The other Ex Royal Loco! Hopefully, as it should be in fairly good nick then it'll end up Carnforth bound...Just please, If WCRC Purchase it...Please keep it Royal!

simon7929

799 has spent most of its later life been pampered due to its status as a royal engine. Even whilst in store for past 7 years or so, the majority of time it spent was undercover. I would guess that this loco will be in very good condition and will be well sought after. West Coast will most likely bid but i fear they may have some very stiff competition.

ACE1888

Just where do you stop in Rail preservation though? I feel the best bet is now for WCR etc to take the 47 for a start? And with the amount of preserved diesels around these days, personally I don't think we need too many more 20/37/47/56's preserved, too many one off still needing 'finishing' off/rebuilding (Class 15 and 28 for a start). Will freight company's be after 56's, not with what appears 'new' designs nearing the table, each to their own of course but there is a good article in 'Railways Illustrated' this month on the OVERALL cost of getting a diesel 'back in business', 'food for thought' for everyone I'd say...

Schnellzug

Established Member
Just where do you stop in Rail preservation though? I feel the best bet is now for WCR etc to take the 47 for a start? And with the amount of preserved diesels around these days, personally I don't think we need too many more 20/37/47/56's preserved, too many one off still needing 'finishing' off/rebuilding (Class 15 and 28 for a start). Will freight company's be after 56's, not with what appears 'new' designs nearing the table, each to their own of course but there is a good article in 'Railways Illustrated' this month on the OVERALL cost of getting a diesel 'back in business', 'food for thought' for everyone I'd say...

We may not need many more preserved, but it does look as if it can be a useful way of safeguarding locos for future use on the main line again, which I think we can all agree is a desirable thing.

mbonwick

Established Member
799 has spent most of its later life been pampered due to its status as a royal engine. Even whilst in store for past 7 years or so, the majority of time it spent was undercover. I would guess that this loco will be in very good condition and will be well sought after. West Coast will most likely bid but i fear they may have some very stiff competition.

Bodywork isn't in great condition and the engine is even worse I believe...

I suppose at least the Copper Fairies haven't visited it.

GearJammer

i think the best thing that can happen to the 56's is somebody with a big cheque and a sound buiseness case can come along and buy all/most of them and make a fleet useing most of them and use some as spares donors and use them as spot hire locos, DCR maybe?

How ever i doubt that will or can happen so suspect its a one way trip to the scrappy, i expect 56006 will survive, as for 47799, i can see that heading not to WCRC but to DRS..... but hey, we'll see.

tirphil

Scrap metal is approx £200 per tonne at the moment. Scrap copper is more, perhaps as high as £1000 per tonne, possibly more.

route:oxford

Established Member
i think the best thing that can happen to the 56's is somebody with a big cheque and a sound buiseness case can come along and buy all/most of them and make a fleet useing most of them and use some as spares donors and use them as spot hire locos, DCR maybe?

If you had the capability to write a big cheque, far better off buying a smaller number of brand new 70s.

The end result would probably be a broadly similar number of operational locos.

E&W Lucas

Established Member

You're quite right. There's no work for these locos, even if they were to be preserved, and it's going to be increasingly difficult to find a home for them.

These DBS clearouts are like the mass disposals at the end of steam; they represent the end of an era - in this case, that of "proper" diesels. But like the late 1960's, it's not possible to preserve everything.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It is rather sad that with the large number of preserved engines very few are equiped or maintained to mainline standard.

Have you any concept of the costs of so doing?

There's very limited work available, so it is hardly surprising that few owners are able to go down this route.

scoope

You're quite right. There's no work for these locos, even if they were to be preserved, and it's going to be increasingly difficult to find a home for them.

These DBS clearouts are like the mass disposals at the end of steam; they represent the end of an era - in this case, that of "proper" diesels. But like the late 1960's, it's not possible to preserve everything.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Have you any concept of the costs of so doing?

There's very limited work available, so it is hardly surprising that few owners are able to go down this route.

As someone who once attempted to buy the two class 01s at Holyhead I have a concept of the costs. My breaking point was simply the transport costs to get them off site and to a place of storage. All I was saying is that "it is sad"

E&W Lucas

Established Member
As someone who once attempted to buy the two class 01s at Holyhead I have a concept of the costs. My breaking point was simply the transport costs to get them off site and to a place of storage. All I was saying is that "it is sad"

And it's a heck of a lot more than that! There's a mountain of b******t and paperwork attached as well, which can be a significant strain in itself. I'd agree, it's a shame that there aren't more of these locos running mainline, but in the case of the 56's, the pity is that they aren't still in revenue earning service. What a waste!

Smudger105e

I know that a lot of people like 'proper' locos like 56's, but lets be realistic here.

The class 56s were introduced around what, 1976 to to early 80's was it? Only remember because 1976 was the year I joined British Rail! That makes the oldest one 35 years old (and me considerably older unfortunately). They were not the most reliable even when in their prime, a pain to repair (particularly the exhaust system) and are long in the tooth. Why would a freight company use 56s when there are far more cost effective locos available? Yes I know drivers generally liked them, and they were good haulers, but at what cost?

Preserving one or two is one thing, but adding all the modern safety systems (TPWS GSM-R etc) and getting them up to speed mechanically is just not a realistic aspiration for day-to-day mail line operations.

Quite a bit of passenger stock that is newer than the 56s has been scrapped, why should freight haulage be thought of in different terms to passenger stock?

"What a Waste?" I don't think so.

Let the flaming commence!! :p

Last edited:

yummy125

Hope 56018 ends up preserved, il be gutted if its scrapped, anyone know its internal condition, exterior isn't that bad

What is so special about 018 & 032..? 006 should be the one which is saved as it's the oldest 56 on the list & the best well known.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.