• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB Schenker - Trainee Driver and Trainee Driver Operator ( Various Locations)

Status
Not open for further replies.

md-uk

Congrats to all who have heard. I guess I shall see some of you in January :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anchorman

Anyone had a rejection yet - starting to think the worst as I had DM on 5th - and not a word yet. Have emailed now to chase up - just want to know either way!! :(

RealClarkey

Nice one guys I bet its a massive relief to get to the finishline!
Im still waiting a DM interview. I got a 'we'll be in touch' email last week but unless it progresses very quickly in the next week I fear time's running out for the Jan start.

When did you apply?

wanabedriver

Hi Guys,

Can someone run through the routes that are signed from the wembley depot please. I have recently applied for the role and have thankfully passed the assessments with another toc. I hope I get short listed as this seems a good opportunity despite the training contract

Established Member
Can someone run through the routes that are signed from the wembley depot please.
I am probably a bit out of touch with this but they include Euston, Bescot, Crewe, Warrington, Acton, Doncaster, Dagenham and Dollands Moor (via Maidstone, Seveoaks and Redhill); however, I doubt whether a newbie would be learning some of the further flung places, at least to start off with.

IKB

Thanks for the above info. I've applied in the latest round of external recruitment. I know my chances are slim but have a question or two nonetheless.....perhaps any DBS folks or people in the know can assist?

If the contracted hours are 35 per week, how does that generally break itself down in terms of number of days or length? How long is a piece of string you say! I understand freight (especially engineers trains) can be ad hoc and unpredictable but there must be some sort of rough pattern? For example, if after three days for you've clocked up 30 hrs, would you do a full day the next day and thus work extra hours? Or just five to make up 35? Or do you work four full days regardless and then tot up the hours towards the end of the year? If you incur overtime, can you take it as 'time in lieu' and select when to take that?

Similarly with nights and lodging away: I'm a shift worker already so nights don't phase me, but is there a pattern to what sort of blocks these come in? Say three of four nights per week for a month or one week about? Would it be fair to assume older hands are afforded the pick of day shifts over someone who's new to the company or is everyone in the same pot?

In short, whilst I wait to hear if I've passed the paper sift, I'm just curious as to how the hours break down. Thanks in advance for any info.

Last edited:

aced1

Anyone else got a start date of 6th January? Paperwork is due out next week.

Hi yes also start on 6th, it was not mentioned to me that would receive paperwork this week and to be fair i would expect to receive it after successful medical. Just wandering if you had received any?

Clarky042

Hi yes also start on 6th, it was not mentioned to me that would receive paperwork this week and to be fair i would expect to receive it after successful medical. Just wandering if you had received any?

Me too , 6th. Medical is next week , I got the paperwork and train ticket this morning. I'm wondering though if they want us on the course starting 6th then we'd presumably have contract / offer in hand before the start of December. Does anyone know how long the medial results would take ?

I don't really want to hand in my months notice until I've got an offer in writing !

md-uk

I'm waiting for the paperwork before I submit my resignation too. Seems the sensible thing to do. As mentioned above, with the start date as it is, contracts should really be out for next week to allow a months notice to be given.

aced1

Me too , 6th. Medical is next week , I got the paperwork and train ticket this morning. I'm wondering though if they want us on the course starting 6th then we'd presumably have contract / offer in hand before the start of December. Does anyone know how long the medial results would take ?

I don't really want to hand in my months notice until I've got an offer in writing !

All previous railway medicals and screenings I have taken in the past vary from about 3-5 working days for the results. They will tell you on the day the result of the medical. It can vary between the testing clinic but generally you will know the results of your screening in 3-5 days :)

saracen

All previous railway medicals and screenings I have taken in the past vary from about 3-5 working days for the results. They will tell you on the day the result of the medical. It can vary between the testing clinic but generally you will know the results of your screening in 3-5 days :)

The TOC/FOC will be made aware of your Medical results on the day of the Medical.

Alcohol screening is immediate as you blow into a Breathaliser and Drug Screening will take 3-5 days to process in a lab. Once they have the Drug test results, that's when you'll be formally offered the position. If you pass the Hearing, Eyesight test and ECG on the Day and don't turn up drunk or have taken any recreational/illegal drugs within the last 6 months then the job is yours.

aced1

The TOC/FOC will be made aware of your Medical results on the day of the Medical.

Alcohol screening is immediate as you blow into a Breathaliser and Drug Screening will take 3-5 days to process in a lab. Once they have the Drug test results, that's when you'll be formally offered the position. If you pass the Hearing, Eyesight test and ECG on the Day and don't turn up drunk or have taken any recreational/illegal drugs within the last 6 months then the job is yours.

An ECG? Well that is a new one to me, have had medicals for railway as well as for HGV and never had to do that. Also so I doubt drugs would be a factor in anyone failing a medical, but on another note your 6 month time set is a little inflated.

Sammy h

Just applied for the trainee driver role at Carlisle. Just in time with two hours to spare. Quite a nice and short application form. Crossing my fingers :) Good luck all.

saracen

An ECG? Well that is a new one to me, have had medicals for railway as well as for HGV and never had to do that. Also so I doubt drugs would be a factor in anyone failing a medical, but on another note your 6 month time set is a little inflated.

Yes, 6 months is a little inflated but better to be safe than sorry. I know frequent Cannabis use is in your urine from anything from 7-60 days.

Train Driver Medical is certainly different from your bog standard Railway PTS Medical. If you are successful with DBS then their Healthcare and Medical team (Bupa or Capita) will hook you up to an ECG

aced1

Yes, 6 months is a little inflated but better to be safe than sorry. I know frequent Cannabis use is in your urine from anything from 7-60 days.

Train Driver Medical is certainly different from your bog standard Railway PTS Medical. If you are successful with DBS then their Healthcare and Medical team (Bupa or Capita) will hook you up to an ECG

Yes far better to be safe than sorry i agree.

I have had medicals with bupa before and not just pts, had previously worked for DBS. Have my medical with Capita this coming thursday so the ECG will be new experience i guess :)

md-uk

Good luck to those having medicals this week. I had the ECG done as soon as I got there, after having run up the road so as not to be late for my appointment!

Results come out fairly quickly, they tell you there and then if you've passed, with the exception of the Drug test which gets sent off.

Expect ECG, Height and Weight to get your BMI, Eye sight, Hearing, Breatheliser for alcohol, and a selection of lung function blowing into a tube type tests. Oh and providing a sample for analysis.

I guess if, some of you with 6th Jan start dates are having medicals this week then contracts etc might be the week after (w/c 2nd Dec)? Will be cutting it fine to hand in notices!

aced1

Good luck to those having medicals this week. I had the ECG done as soon as I got there, after having run up the road so as not to be late for my appointment!

Results come out fairly quickly, they tell you there and then if you've passed, with the exception of the Drug test which gets sent off.

Expect ECG, Height and Weight to get your BMI, Eye sight, Hearing, Breatheliser for alcohol, and a selection of lung function blowing into a tube type tests. Oh and providing a sample for analysis.

I guess if, some of you with 6th Jan start dates are having medicals this week then contracts etc might be the week after (w/c 2nd Dec)? Will be cutting it fine to hand in notices!

Glad all went well mate and like ya say screening is a formality :) how long did the medical take it total then? I have mine this coming thursday and yes i would imagine contracts be out next week at some point :)

Clarky042

Glad all went well mate and like ya say screening is a formality :) how long did the medical take it total then? I have mine this coming thursday and yes i would imagine contracts be out next week at some point :)

Mines tomorrow , hopefully as you say contracts next week , waiting patiently to hand notice in and it's getting hard keeping it to myself !!

rob001uk

I'm getting a bit nervous for my medical my tomorrow now, not that there's any reason to as I know it'll all come back fine. It's just having to tell my employer and hand my notice in already, because of my notice period, it's a bit nerve racking! Has everyone had any paperwork through then? Oh and I'm due to start 6th Jan too... Don't think I'd actually posted that yet!

Last edited:

md-uk

aced1, took about an hour I suppose, was some filling in of forms as well to cover medical history etc.
I was a bit nervous too rob001uk, apparently my lungs are 10 yrs older than I am (recovering from man-flu) but still managed a pass.
So for a 6th start date we have:
Me
RB5Bird?
aced1?
Paddy O'Doors?
Clarky042?
rob001uk?

wanabedriver

Hi Guys.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier thread.
This question goes out to the 6th Jan starters, hi guys, how long did the process take from application to start date and how soon after you applied were you informed of passing the initial screening. I have just recently applied and am trying to gauge how long it takes.

Many Thanks and congratulations to those through and good luck to anyone waiting

st.ives

I'm getting a bit nervous for my medical my tomorrow now, not that there's any reason to as I know it'll all come back fine. It's just having to tell my employer and hand my notice in already, because of my notice period, it's a bit nerve racking! Has everyone had any paperwork through then? Oh and I'm due to start 6th Jan too... Don't think I'd actually posted that yet!

Are they expecting you to start less than four weeks after your medical results?

Does anyone know where the training is being held?

Last edited:

rob001uk

Are they expecting you to start less than four weeks after your medical results?

No, but my current employment contract stipulated a 3 month notice period! Luckily they waived that to the 7 weeks :) And happily everything went well with the medical. Phew!

They haven't stated where the training will be yet.

Paddy O'Doors

This question goes out to the 6th Jan starters, hi guys, how long did the process take from application to start date and how soon after you applied were you informed of passing the initial screening. I have just recently applied and am trying to gauge how long it takes.

I applied on August 31st, the day before the closing date.

Found out i'd passed the first sift when the practice material for the first part of the assessment arrived in the post 3 or 4 days later.

Had a phone call the day after the first part of the assessment to say i'd passed and inviting me to Doncaster for the second part.

Was told on the day that i'd passed part 2 at Doncaster.

Then had to wait a couple of weeks for a date for the manager's interview, and then another couple of weeks for a phone call to say that i'd passed and verbally offered a position.

Had my medical today and passed.

Clarky042

Hi Guys.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier thread.

Many Thanks and congratulations to those through and good luck to anyone waiting

Medical went well , just waiting for the Drugs screening result (pretty certain that will be clear!)

Wanabe.....

I applied at the end of August , was informed I'd passed Paper sift around a week later.
First stage of Assesment was 12th Sep but I had previous passes so didn't have to go.
I was put on stage 2 of Assement on 9th October , found out on 29th October I was invited to Manager interview.
The interview was 5th November , and I did my medical today , with a start date of 6th Jan.

Hope that all helps ,

Paul

Last edited:

md-uk

Hey guys, glad to hear the medicals have been going well. Good luck for yours today aced1!
Anyone know how many of us should be starting in Jan?
I'm the same as you Clarky042, apart from needing to give notice. I really want to start telling people!! Waiting is killing me....

aced1

Had mine yesterday. Offered the job today pending medical in London Tuesday. Cutting it fine to hand notice in! Did you go for Newport?

Congratulations mate, i had my medical yesterday and passed, pending screening results which will be fine. All the best for Tuesday :D

Scaramanga

Thanks Martin. Its been a long old process but well happy at getting the job I've wanted for years! Not long until 6th Jan!

Status
Not open for further replies.