• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Decarbonising Scotland’s Railways

najaB

Veteran Member
You can use 132kV but the laod you could take was restricted due to the unbalanced load it presents. SFC's get over that and will allow significantly higher traction loads to be connected with the only restriction being grid capacity at the supply point.
I presume that's because the SFC uses all three phases, rather than because of any frequency conversion? In other words it's a more effective voltage converter than a regular transformer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I presume that's because the SFC uses all three phases, rather than because of any frequency conversion? In other words it's a more effective voltage converter than a regular transformer.
Yes, SFCs are fully controllable converters so can draw loads from phases as demanded by the grid system (normally balanced but they could be commanded to draw an unblanaced load to correct overall grid inbalance).

paul1609

Established Member
Yes, SFCs are fully controllable converters so can draw loads from phases as demanded by the grid system (normally balanced but they could be commanded to draw an unblanaced load to correct overall grid inbalance).
What are the energy efficiency of these SFCs like compared to a straight transformer?

Nottingham59

Established Member
rather than because of any frequency conversion
I understand they're called Frequency Converters because in Germany the railways used 16.7Hz AC at 15kV. When fed from 50Hz grid supply, i believe they used motor-generator sets with gears or rotor windings configured to covert the frequency to 16.7Hz. The latest sort presumably use electronics instead rotating machinery, hence "Static".

EDIT: Mostly right. See here for more info https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/15_kV_AC_railway_electrification

snowball

Established Member
As I understand it, in the UK railway context, they operate by doing two frequency conversions: 50Hz 3-phase to DC to 50Hz single-phase.

najaB

Veteran Member
As I understand it, in the UK railway context, they operate by doing two frequency conversions: 50Hz 3-phase to DC to 50Hz single-phase.
Are you sure they output DC? How does that then get inverted to AC for the trains to use?

Ignore, I mis-read your post.

gingertom

Established Member
and when it gets onto the train it is 50Hz single phase to DC to 3 phase variable frequency. Every conversion stage involves losses and inefficiencies. Overall though, it is still the most efficient process. Compare it to DC traction motors or diesel engines as part of a genset or with a mechanical gearbox or hydraulic transmission.

Elecman

Established Member
[QUOTE="snowball, post: 5761623, member: 19554"

When the south WCML was first electrified in the 1960s, how extensive was the 275/400kV network? Did many of the feeds have to be 132kV?
[/QUOTE]
No 275/400kV they were all 132kV.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
What are the energy efficiency of these SFCs like compared to a straight transformer?
Not as good as a transformer but better than a rotary converter which was a common approach in Europe if the railway administration didn't generate at the desired frequency.

NR have this video doesn't give much on technical but you get a feel for the difference of a SFC installation compared to a normal NG site.

snowball

Established Member
For some reason a tweet appeared yesterday about the Ferguslie feeder station that was delivered and placed circa July 11th and discussed above. Underneath somebody asks whether it's an SFC, and the reply is no.

We've landed the first of several new electrical feeder stations on Scotland's Railway. Part of a £120m investment by
@ScotGov
, it'll enhance resilience and reliability of our overhead wires and power extra electric passenger and freight trains too.

snowball

Established Member
There may be others here who, like me, do not usually spend much time in the rolling stock forum, so I think it right to draw attention to this new thread on the new trains needed for the decarbonisation programme. Scotrail Trains is seeking tenders for legal services in connection with the procurement.

ScotRail Trains (SRT) plans to replace 65% of its train fleet (around 675 carriages) in the period 2027 to 2035. Nine of the eleven sub fleets of trains currently operated will be replaced as leases expire and it becomes uneconomical to life extend trains for continued operation. As part of this programme SRT will decarbonise our entire train fleet helping Scottish Government deliver a key milestone in transitioning Scotland to a net zero economy. All existing diesel trains will be withdrawn and replaced with new trains powered by overhead electric wires, batteries or hydrogen. As well as eliminating carbon emissions from passenger rail services in Scotland, this will transform our customer offer improving journey comfort, accessibility and reliability. We will reduce operating costs and improve the consistency of offer to customers by consolidating the number of different sub fleets we operate from the existing eleven to, ideally, five.
This transformation will be delivered through three procurement competitions:
- Phase 1 2022-23 - we will procure a new fleet of suburban trains which will enter passenger service between 2027 and 2030. These trains will connect local communities with Edinburgh, Glasgow, Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen.
- Phase 2 2024-25 (indicative) we will procure a new fleet of trains for our rural routes.
- Phase 3 2025-26 (indicative) we will procure a new fleet of intercity trains to connect the central belt with Aberdeen and Inverness.

-------------------------------- (automerged post 14 Aug) --------------------------------

I've been hoping for a while that one of the magazines would soon run a major feature on Scottish electrification. There's an article in the current RAIL (#963) that looked promising at first sight (8 pages including photos) but it turns out to answer few of my many outstanding questions on the current plan, and is largely historical, including a long list of dates of pre-2020 electrifications.

However I see that a photo caption on page 41 includes the precise endpoints and dates of the proposed Fife partial electrification.

South end: Kinghorn, 23 miles 1600 yards
North end: Ladybank, 40 miles 539 yards
Between these points to be wired by December 2024

West end: a point between Lochgelly and Cardenden, 29 miles 519 yards. Thornton to here to be done by December 2025.

As announced in the press release, Haymarket to Dalmeny is to be done by December 2024. A figure of 9 miles 1000 yards is mentioned, I think this is the location of the end of the wires at Dalmeny.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
However I see that a photo caption on page 41 includes the precise endpoints and dates of the proposed Fife partial electrification.

South end: Kinghorn, 23 miles 1600 yards
North end: Ladybank, 40 miles 539 yards
Between these points to be wired by December 2024

West end: a point between Lochgelly and Cardenden, 29 miles 519 yards. Thornton to here to be done by December 2025.

As announced in the press release, Haymarket to Dalmeny is to be done by December 2024. A figure of 9 miles 1000 yards is mentioned, I think this is the location of the end of the wires at Dalmeny.
So that gives them three years to figure out what the plan is for Kinghorn tunnel and the Forth Bridge if they don't want a gap in the Edinburgh-Aberdeen electrification programme. Though, I guess that with relatively new BEMUs they can work on Ladybank to St. Fort or Dundee to Lunan.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
So that gives them three years to figure out what the plan is for Kinghorn tunnel and the Forth Bridge if they don't want a gap in the Edinburgh-Aberdeen electrification programme. Though, I guess that with relatively new BEMUs they can work on Ladybank to St. Fort or Dundee to Lunan.

The plan is, surely, the continued use of battery trains. A 15 mile gap is neither here nor there in battery terms.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
The plan is, surely, the continued use of battery trains. A 15 mile gap is neither here nor there in battery terms.
Indeed might as well accept now Forth bridge never going to be wired so why waste time and money trying to convince the heritage lot and just spend it on getting BEMUS in service.

snowball

Established Member
Indeed might as well accept now Forth bridge never going to be wired so why waste time and money trying to convince the heritage lot and just spend it on getting BEMUS in service.
There is no plausible reason to imagine that the Forth Bridge will not be wired in due course. On 7 September 2020, Alex Hynes, head of Scotrail, tweeted "Yes" in reply to the question "Can the Forth Bridge take electrification apparatus?". All indications are that BEMUs are proposed in Scotland only as an intermediate step to continuous electrification. There is no reason to believe that "the heritage lot" are presenting undue difficulty. They do not appear to be opposing the visitor walkway, for example.

My belief, however, is that the bridge and the south Fife tunnels will remain unwired for more than a few years. It's much better to continue partial electrification of further lines ("the easy bits") before returning to infill lines already partially electrified ("the hard bits").

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
On 7 September 2020, Alex Hynes, head of Scotrail, tweeted "Yes" in reply to the question "Can the Forth Bridge take electrification apparatus?"

“Can…” is a different question to “Will…”

snowball

Established Member
One point perhaps worth mentioning is that with conventional electrification a major part of the capital cost is getting power supplies to the railway. When a line is partially electrified and operated by battery trains, this aspect is initially even more acute: you need to spend as much upfront on feeder stations as if you had been electrifying throughout. A train spends less time under the wires but draws more current while under them. But once you've reached the point where the line is sufficiently wired that it can be operated with battery trains, then (assuming unchanged traffic levels) no further expenditure is required on feeder stations when you infill the gaps in the wires.

Each time the batteries come up for replacement you have a new motivation to look at the costs and benefits of completing the infill.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I think that the gaps are quite likely to be filled on routes where there's heavy traffic to be honest. It's just that they probably won't receive attention until 2035.

There are more pressing issues. Battery trains for example aren't going to be capable of making it from Ayr to Stranraer and back because of the gradients. Hydrogen was the proposed solution but that is going to be such an astonishingly expensive way to operate a train.

snowball

Established Member
Bald Rick may wish to see the map on show at around 29 minutes into the video linked in the first post of this thread and reproduced in post #8 of the thread, and the ensuing discussion of the meaning of the pink and blue sections on the map.

Admittedly they may have scaled back their ambitions in the last year.

MadMac

Battery trains for example aren't going to be capable of making it from Ayr to Stranraer and back because of the gradients. Hydrogen was the proposed solution but that is going to be such an astonishingly expensive way to operate a train.
Could they manage Girvan-Stranraer? 50 mile return trip.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That's where the steep gradients are so hypothetically maybe it could be done, but not easily. And in any case there's not enough time to extend electrification from Ayr to Girvan in addition to all of the other works, so a transition solution is necessary.

Trainbike46

Established Member
That's where the steep gradients are so hypothetically maybe it could be done, but not easily. And in any case there's not enough time to extend electrification from Ayr to Girvan in addition to all of the other works, so a transition solution is necessary.
would a charging solution at Stranraer be an option?

najaB

Veteran Member
It could be, but in the current timetable the turnaround time is between 10 to 20 minutes - I'm not sure how much of a useful charge they could get in that time.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Yes, it's definitely a possibility, but of course that would require an additional diagram in order to extend turnaround time, so you'd be paying for an extra unit for the same frequency of service. Plus of course the cost of getting a compatible power supply into the station which is going to be expensive.

Before the pandemic the 0900 and 1903 from Kilmarnock ran through to Stranraer, and the 1230 from Ayr started back at Stranraer. There was also a 1303 and 2307 Kilmarnock to Stranraer, plus 1500 and 2103 Stranraer to Kilmarnock which no longer run. I do not remember if Transport Scotland would like these reinstated but it doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Yes, it's definitely a possibility, but of course that would require an additional diagram in order to extend turnaround time, so you'd be paying for an extra unit for the same frequency of service. Plus of course the cost of getting a compatible power supply into the station which is going to be expensive.
Since Scotland doesn't seem to be going in for stationary chargers, a more Scotland-like solution might be 12stk of wiring from Stranraer to the point where the line turns north 2km west of Glenluce, a feeder station there, and a 2km westward extension of the 132kV grid line that ends at Glenluce. (Wooden poles like the last miles to Marshall Meadows?)

However that's quite a big scheme, I suspect bigger than what they seem to be proposing at the south end of the Borders line. Also there probably isn't time to design and build it. Also I have no idea whether the spare capacity exists in the 132kV line.

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Since Scotland doesn't seem to be going in for stationary chargers, a more Scotland-like solution might be 12stk of wiring from Stranraer to the point where the line turns north 2km west of Glenluce, a feeder station there, and a 2km westward extension of the 132kV grid line that ends at Glenluce. (Wooden poles like the last miles to Marshall Meadows?)

However that's quite a big scheme, I suspect bigger than what they seem to be proposing at the south end of the Borders line. Also there probably isn't time to design and build it. Also I have no idea whether the spare capacity exists in the 132kV line.
Unfortunately I think that there is no hope for such a scheme for a route with 5 trains per day.

hwl

Established Member
Yes. There isn't an issue in reality.
It isn't a problem in reality and secondly Scotland have relaxed from the 2035 target to 2040 so Ayr - Girvan can be done fairly late so there is no need for a transition solution.

snowball

Established Member
Scotland have relaxed from the 2035 target to 2040
I'm not much surprised or much disappointed to read that. I still expect them to be miles ahead of England.

Is there a published document stating the relaxation or giving a precise defintion of what the new target includes?