• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

December 2014 TT changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Hi all,

Couldn't find a thread to cover this so decided to start one. Here's something to go on for starters.

I have just had a look at OTT's database for Cardiff Queen Street (CDQ) after the December changes take effect and it seems to be based around CDQ having 5 platforms in service. From the snippet I looked at the idea seems to be this:

Platform 1: Cardiff Bay - Cardiff Queen Street
Platform 2: Bargoed & Rhymney - Cardiff - Penarth
Platform 3: Merthyr / Aberdare / Treherbert - Cardiff - Barry - Barry Island / Bridgend
Platform 4: Trains to Coryton, Rhymney & Bargoed
Platform 5: Trains to Merthyr, Aberdare & Treherbert

... which seems to be the case if this is correct:
http://www.opentraintimes.com/locat...on&show_stp=on&show_var=on&show_wtt=on&utf8=✓

HTIOI,
Dave

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dannypye9999

Ive heard there are changes between Birmingham/Shrewsbury/Holyhead & Aberystyth. also affecting Manchester/Holyhead services. Somebody fill me in please :)

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Ive heard there are changes between Birmingham/Shrewsbury/Holyhead & Aberystyth. also affecting Manchester/Holyhead services. Somebody fill me in please :)

hi i am not too sure but this might be because atw are bringing in 67 on there manchester piccadilly to holyhead sevices.

and then somehow this releases units onto the Birmingham line

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Electric trains Liverpool-Manchester/Wigan/Warrington, Glasgow Central-Whifflet.
Increased frequency to Redditch (cascaded by new 350s for LM).
Virgin Voyagers from Euston to Shrewsbury and Blackpool.
Additional GA services Cambridge-Stansted Airport?

Last edited:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Electric trains Liverpool-Manchester/Wigan, Glasgow Central-Whifflet.
Increased frequency to Redditch (cascaded by new 350s for LM).
Additional GA services Cambridge-Stansted Airport?

Diversion of Thameslink services away from London Bridge with knock on effect on Brighton Line timetable.

PHILIPE

Veteran Member

Changes re additional LHCS Manchester to Holyhead and other alteration as result of. Detailed information already posted on the Forum.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle

Send me a PM with an e mail address and ill send you the ATW timetables December 2014 out for consultation,along with ATWs six page letter explaining all changes.
however this has been well discussed on the forum

Last edited:

Philip C

May I add changes to South Eastern Main Line services affecting, at least, services via Ashford. Also Hastings Flyer Express and diversion of Tunbridge Wells - Charing X services to Cannon Street.

Strictly these are not December changes as they are scheduled for effect from January 2015.

Details available on South Eastern web-site.

BurtonM

No better at Stalybridge: still 4tph to Manchester in two groups of two, seven and four minutes apart, half an hour apart.
Still 2 tph towards Yorkshire on Sundays - five minutes apart.
Doesn't half get annoying seeing all the fasts passing by.
I appreciate there are reasons for this, but to the average passenger it's just plain stupid.
Cue 'why can't different ones stop so they're a reasonable time apart' etc.

I don't know why it bothers me anyway, I'm moving to Wolverhampton in a month :roll:

Class377/5

Established Member
Diversion of Thameslink services away from London Bridge with knock on effect on Brighton Line timetable.

Some changes to Southeastern as well as the TLP works move to the high level. Includes some diversions into Blackfriars bay platforms too.

Dave1954

On Moderation
I heard through the grapevine that FGW are going reintroduce Mark 2 stock on there Cardiff/Taunton service in December 2014 , can anyone here verify that for me please ?
regards Dave1954.

Lincoln

In another area in the country, I am quite surprised to see the timings are still the same for the GN/GE joint line in Lincolnshire.

I presume the upgrade would have been finished by then with the higher line speeds in place, however the future timings are the same as now on OTT.

The only thing I can think of is that the services will simply have longer dwells at each station and perhaps it will be tightened up in the May timetable change, or perhaps they simply haven't got round to amending them in ITPS yet.

Starmill

Veteran Member
In another area in the country, I am quite surprised to see the timings are still the same for the GN/GE joint line in Lincolnshire.

I presume the upgrade would have been finished by then with the higher line speeds in place, however the future timings are the same as now on OTT.

Hahahaha you were expecting an improved service in Lincolnshire!? What have you been taking! :p

David Barrett

An improved GN/GE Joint Line timetable, better connections, much reduced journey times, increased potential taking advantage of at least two shift operation throughout but using the same crew and, in particular, rolling stock as available now? If I was at EMT. I wouldn't dare even think it!

Last edited:

D6975

Established Member
I heard through the grapevine that FGW are going reintroduce Mark 2 stock on there Cardiff/Taunton service in December 2014 , can anyone here verify that for me please ?
regards Dave1954.

They invited tenders for hire in sets some time ago to cover for units going through refurbishment. Much speculation at the time as to who might submit, but all quiet since the initial announcement.

Aictos

Established Member

Any proof of the Virgin Trains services to Blackpool as I've just gone though a typical weekday in Mid January on Open Train Times and there's nothing remotely looking like a Virgin Trains service - I've looked from start to end of service with the only new services being to Blackpool North to Tormorden/Liverpool South Parkway High Level/Huddersfield or Euston to Shrewsbury.

MK Tom

Established Member
Does anyone know of any changes affecting Milton Keynes Central? I also can't find any evidence of the Blackpool service, and I thought more of the LM Crewe services were supposed to be omitting Northampton after December.

IrishDave

Any proof of the Virgin Trains services to Blackpool as I've just gone though a typical weekday in Mid January on Open Train Times and there's nothing remotely looking like a Virgin Trains service - I've looked from start to end of service with the only new services being to Blackpool North to Tormorden/Liverpool South Parkway High Level/Huddersfield or Euston to Shrewsbury.

There's just the one each way: in the morning there's the 1K14 0525 Blackpool North to Crewe, which joins 1R13 0448 Holyhead to Euston to arrive in Euston at 0834. This replaces the current 0535 from Lancaster.

In the evening, there's 1P21 1633 Euston to Blackpool North, which currently terminates at Preston. In both cases the train runs ECS from/to Crewe CS.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Does anyone know of any changes affecting Milton Keynes Central? I also can't find any evidence of the Blackpool service, and I thought more of the LM Crewe services were supposed to be omitting Northampton after December.

The LM changes are reasonably extensive, particularly in the evening. In the morning, the main change is the addition of two non-stop trains from Northampton to Euston: the 0518 Crewe-Euston and the 0633 New St-Euston both run non-stop from Northampton to Euston, crossing to the up fast at Hanslope Jn, the latter with a very impressive timing of 46 minutes.

In the evening peak the 1746 and 1849 from Euston now running to Crewe, the former via Weedon though the latter still goes via Northampton. (The 1746 doesn't call at Stone, Kidsgrove or Alsager, so I'm guessing it's an 8-car.) These are followed by a 1749 and a 1852 to Birmingham via Northampton.

Furthermore, the 1713 and 1813, which were 100mph paths, have been replaced by two pairs of 110mph paths: there's a 1713 to New St, first stop MK, followed by a 1716 to Northampton. Similarly, there's a 1813 to New St (which is perhaps unique in calling in platform 6 at MKC and crossing at Hanslope!) followed by a 1816 to New St, which ends up in New St about 20 mins behind the 1813.

All told the changes make the fast lines out of Euston in the evening one of the busiest mixed-traffic timetables in the country - on Fridays, when there are two Virgin extras, I count 16 fast line departures from Euston between 1800 and 1859, up from 14 at present. Is that perhaps the most departures on a single track from a London terminus in one hour?

Last edited:

Established Member
All told the changes make the fast lines out of Euston in the evening one of the busiest mixed-traffic timetables in the country - on Fridays, when there are two Virgin extras, I count 16 fast line departures from Euston between 1800 and 1859, up from 14 at present. Is that perhaps the most departures on a single track from a London terminus in one hour?
Not really, 20tph out of Fenchurch St (with mixed stopping patterns), 17 from Waterloo on main slows, 19 Waterloo main fasts, 18 Liv St on mains to Shenfield at a quick check...

Emyr

1U50 Blackpool to MIA (Bolton @ 0540) is gone, so the first train South from Bolton is now the 2J46 Blackpool to Manchester Victoria.

It will be impossible to arrive at workplaces near Knutsford before 9am, as the first Piccadilly train for anyone Northwest of Salford crescent will be 2H02 arriving MAN 0720.

Since Bolton lost its 6:34 Airport service, it's been impossible to catch 2K22, the Crewe stopper, without sitting at Piccadilly for an hour.

To catch 2D42 Piccadilly's 0717 to Chester, I've been racing from Central to Piccadilly by bicycle. With 2J46's call at Bolton pushed back 2 minutes, arrival at Salford Central is delayed by one minute. Now a more minor delay on 2J46 and a bad run of traffic lights will make me miss my train.

It's as if they really don't want people from North of Salford to access early morning services south of Piccadilly.

pemma

Veteran Member
1U50 Blackpool to MIA (Bolton @ 0540) is gone, so the first train South from Bolton is now the 2J46 Blackpool to Manchester Victoria.

It will be impossible to arrive at workplaces near Knutsford before 9am, as the first Piccadilly train for anyone Northwest of Salford crescent will be 2H02 arriving MAN 0720.

Since Bolton lost its 6:34 Airport service, it's been impossible to catch 2K22, the Crewe stopper, without sitting at Piccadilly for an hour.

To catch 2D42 Piccadilly's 0717 to Chester, I've been racing from Central to Piccadilly by bicycle. With 2J46's call at Bolton pushed back 2 minutes, arrival at Salford Central is delayed by one minute. Now a more minor delay on 2J46 and a bad run of traffic lights will make me miss my train.

It's as if they really don't want people from North of Salford to access early morning services south of Piccadilly.

What part of Knutsford do you work in? There are other options for getting between Manchester and Knutsford if you don't take your bike.

Emyr

What part of Knutsford do you work in? There are other options for getting between Manchester and Knutsford if you don't take your bike.

Peover.

Moving from Bolton to Kearsley soon, but will probably use Walkden station.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Peover.

Moving from Bolton to Kearsley soon, but will probably use Walkden station.

OK there isn't an alternative then. The bus to Peover was withdrawn and replaced by a flexible on demand scheme: http://dgbus.co.uk/d-g-little-bus.html but the times they run those only really suit shopping trips, not trips getting to and from work. Maybe let Cheshire East Council know about your commuting experience, they seem to think most bus routes can just be withdrawn/cutback because commuters don't use them.

If it had been somewhere like Knutsford Business Park then you could get the train to Wilmslow and the bus from there.

dannypye9999

There's just the one each way: in the morning there's the 1K14 0525 Blackpool North to Crewe, which joins 1R13 0448 Holyhead to Euston to arrive in Euston at 0834. This replaces the current 0535 from Lancaster.

In the evening, there's 1P21 1633 Euston to Blackpool North, which currently terminates at Preston. In both cases the train runs ECS from/to Crewe CS.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

The LM changes are reasonably extensive, particularly in the evening. In the morning, the main change is the addition of two non-stop trains from Northampton to Euston: the 0518 Crewe-Euston and the 0633 New St-Euston both run non-stop from Northampton to Euston, crossing to the up fast at Hanslope Jn, the latter with a very impressive timing of 46 minutes.

In the evening peak the 1746 and 1849 from Euston now running to Crewe, the former via Weedon though the latter still goes via Northampton. (The 1746 doesn't call at Stone, Kidsgrove or Alsager, so I'm guessing it's an 8-car.) These are followed by a 1749 and a 1852 to Birmingham via Northampton.

Furthermore, the 1713 and 1813, which were 100mph paths, have been replaced by two pairs of 110mph paths: there's a 1713 to New St, first stop MK, followed by a 1716 to Northampton. Similarly, there's a 1813 to New St (which is perhaps unique in calling in platform 6 at MKC and crossing at Hanslope!) followed by a 1816 to New St, which ends up in New St about 20 mins behind the 1813.

When do LM start extending these Crewe to Euston services to Liverpool with a New St to Liverpool hourly running hourly to Preston instead as I thought LM were keen on this pattern a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.