• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay compensation - any hope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bristol Rover

Had a nightmare journey from Bristol to Stratford last week and have two potential options of compensation. Involves a change at Birmingham and a walk to Moor Street.

Firstly, the Crosscountry train from Bristol to Birmingham was delayed because of a broken down train in the Dawlish area, so I got to Birmingham too late (but delay of less than an hour) to make the connection. The London Midland connection I had to make was then cancelled (due to a fatality in the area), so I had to wait another hour for the next train.

Do I have any chance of compensation from either train company? The way I see it, Cross country will say 'you were less than an hour late', and London Midland will say 'we don't have to compensate for delays caused by suicides'.

Despite the combination of reasons resulting in an arrival 2 hours late.

Any advice, or am I wasting my time even trying?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tony_mac

Established Member
Assuming that you have only one ticket for the journey, claim from XC. Their delay caused a missed connection, and hence the onward delay.

Both XC and London Midland pay compensation regardless of the cause of the delay.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Both XC and London Midland pay compensation regardless of the cause of the delay.
Am I right to say that it's the case that Tocs with "Delay Repay" schemes will refund for any delay, whereas ones with the older scheme (with void days for seasons, etc) limit compensation on singles and returns for problems caused by the railway such as train failures?

John @ home

Established Member
Am I right to say that it's the case that Tocs with "Delay Repay" schemes will refund for any delay, whereas ones with the older scheme (with void days for seasons, etc) limit compensation on singles and returns for problems caused by the railway such as train failures?
Yes..

Status
Not open for further replies.