• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Compensation on Britrail Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

welshpax

Hello!

Living in Dubai now and being a UAE resident I buy a Britrail pass when I come back to the UK to visit family.

I am currently using a 4 day in 2 months 1st Class pass and was caught up in the delays in Paddington yesterday.

I was on the 9.25 CDF to Paddington which should have arrived at 11.48 but finally arrived over 90 minutes late.

My question is, how do I claim delay repay as I am no longer a resident in the UK and I need my ticket for the next 2 months.

Hope you can provide advice, thanks in advance :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
My question is, how do I claim delay repay as I am no longer a resident in the UK and I need my ticket for the next 2 months.

I would say that it's a good idea to give the TOC (First Great Western?) a Tweet and ask them. It is possible to get delay compensation for travel on a Rover, so I don't see why you wouldn't get it for a Britrail pass.

Established Member
najaB:2019392 said:

I would say that it's a good idea to give the TOC (First Great Western?) a Tweet and ask them. It is possible to get delay compensation for travel on a Rover, so I don't see why you wouldn't get it for a Britrail pass.
They will send the vouchers to your home address in the UAE. I know someone in Switzerland that's had vouchers from EMT before sent to her home.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The new Stagecoach East Coast operation are refusing claims on BritRail. I see that Stagecoach's anti-passenger influences are starting to take effect. DOR East Coast 1 Stagecoach East Coast 0

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Do FGW operate a full delay repay scheme? They refused a claim of mine last year because my 2 hour delay was 'outside the control of the railway.'

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Not got the details in front of me, but I believe compensation claims for BritRail pass holders need to be made through the original seller, who pass them on to ACP, who in turn pass them to the TOC. It's in KnowledgeBase but I'm not back in 'til Monday.

gray1404

Established Member
You would try sending a photocopy of your pass to FGW, perhaps by email if you are abroad and attach it. Ask them to send any compensation to your address in the UAE. The vouchers are valid for 12 months so you should be able to use them by then. If FGW refuse your claim write back to them by email asking for your complaint to be looked at again by a Manager. If they still refuse then go onto the Passenger Focus website and fill out a complaint form. Good luck!

On a separate note, what is Knowledge Base and how do you access it? :)

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
On a separate note, what is Knowledge Base and how do you access it? :)
Knowledge Base is an internal secure railway system which replaced 'The Manual'; it contains all the detail you could ever require about ticketing. It is not available for the public, unfortunately.

TP

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Not got the details in front of me, but I believe compensation claims for BritRail pass holders need to be made through the original seller, who pass them on to ACP, who in turn pass them to the TOC. It's in KnowledgeBase but I'm not back in 'til Monday.

Which is wonderfully simple, and would actually cost the TOC hard cash iirc as the payout would be in cash/cheque/bank transfer. Why any TOC would choose it over RTV is anyone's guess.

thealexweb

Knowledge Base is an internal secure railway system which replaced 'The Manual'; it contains all the detail you could ever require about ticketing. It is not available for the public, unfortunately.

TP

Why is this information being withheld from the public may I ask? It doesn't inspire much confidence to know they are keeping so much from us.

causton

Established Member
Why is this information being withheld from the public may I ask? It doesn't inspire much confidence to know they are keeping so much from us.

For the same reason Asda doesn't give you access to its' intranet system and let you see their internal plans!

To be honest, some parts of the site are very broken, lots of the content is already on this forum in the Fares and Ticketing Guide, and it contains internal information such as phone numbers and other confidential details that shouldn't be made public!

Biggus Tiggus

I've just checked iKB and it appears that BritRail holders can go directly to the TOC for a "simple" delay, but where they've "lost" a whole day of travel (presumably on a flexipass), they need to go back to the original point of sale.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I've just checked iKB and it appears that BritRail holders can go directly to the TOC for a "simple" delay, but where they've "lost" a whole day of travel (presumably on a flexipass), they need to go back to the original point of sale.

Thanks. I have checked with my source and he had confirmed the position stated by you.

East Coast are now telling a friend that compensation is not due as it is impossible to calculate the cost of the journey. It is so ridiculous you can't really make it up. I have advised taking things up with them in a strongly-worded letter.

pne

East Coast are now telling a friend that compensation is not due as it is impossible to calculate the cost of the journey.

How would they handle it if it had been an ALR?

Surely there are measures in place to calculate partial costs for rangers and rovers, and BritRail passes are not that different from those, to my mind (a ticket valid for travel in a certain geographical area within a defined number of days).

marcouk2

How would they handle it if it had been an ALR?

Surely there are measures in place to calculate partial costs for rangers and rovers, and BritRail passes are not that different from those, to my mind (a ticket valid for travel in a certain geographical area within a defined number of days).

The one time I had to claim delay repay on a 7-day rover ticket, my compensation was calculated on 1/7th of the total cost of the ticket so a 'days' worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.