• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay claims rejected

MotCO

Established Member
My brother was travelling from Leeds to Grimsby last week using a ticket Leeds to grimsby valid via Doncaster, he got delayed arriving into Grimsby, so claimed off TPE as should do who rejected it, he appealed, they rejected again instantly so he asked on twitter why and the reply was as follows "Your ticket states from Leeds to Grimsby, your ticket was not valid on our service as you needed to catch the direct Leeds to Grimsby service"

Obviously there is no Leeds to Grimsby direct service so he couldn't catch a service that didn't exist! And his ticket was valid via Doncaster and he went via doncaster so he's lodged a formal complaint with them now.
Maybe your brother should have asked TPE for the time of the train he should have caught from Leeds to Grimsby :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainophile

Established Member
Having a battle with AWC. We were delayed by well over an hour last week. There's no facility on their delay repay form for multiple tickets/passengers, so I did a separate claim for each of our two tickets. Attached photos clearly showing two different seat reservations. Anyway they credited one ticket quite quickly, but rejected the other as being a duplicate, presumably because the booking reference was the same.

I appealed but they rejected it again for the same reason. Have now raised a complaint with their customer service team, explained the situation again in full, attaching one photo showing two tickets. Nothing more I can do. We will see.

Heard Grant Shapps at the weekend (was it in the Andrew Neil show last night?) talking about the airlines crisis and saying that they hope to bring in automatic refunds for cancelled flights “as with the train cancellations” (or words to that effect).

Either he doesn’t understand the full picture with claiming from most ticket vendors/train operators, or he’s making very broad assumptions.

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Heard Grant Shapps at the weekend (was it in the Andrew Neil show last night?) talking about the airlines crisis and saying that they hope to bring in automatic refunds for cancelled flights “as with the train cancellations” (or words to that effect).

Either he doesn’t understand the full picture with claiming from most ticket vendors/train operators, or he’s making very broad assumptions.
It also rather misses the point, because when it comes to flights, I imagine most people would prefer to have easier ways of exercising their re-routing rights - rather than putting up with such nonsense as easyJet's unlawful policy that they will only re-route you on another airline if they don't have a flight within 24 hours.

Searle

Established Member
Having a battle with AWC. We were delayed by well over an hour last week. There's no facility on their delay repay form for multiple tickets/passengers, so I did a separate claim for each of our two tickets. Attached photos clearly showing two different seat reservations. Anyway they credited one ticket quite quickly, but rejected the other as being a duplicate, presumably because the booking reference was the same.

I appealed but they rejected it again for the same reason. Have now raised a complaint with their customer service team, explained the situation again in full, attaching one photo showing two tickets. Nothing more I can do. We will see.

I've had exactly the same issue. Caught up in delays from Preston to Euston on the last weekend of May. Submitted two claims (one for me, one for my wife), one was accepted, one was rejected. Tried appealing the rejected one, rejected again.

I sent an email outlining all the issues to their customer support, but the whole process is so damn painful!

trainophile

Established Member
I've had exactly the same issue. Caught up in delays from Preston to Euston on the last weekend of May. Submitted two claims (one for me, one for my wife), one was accepted, one was rejected. Tried appealing the rejected one, rejected again.

I sent an email outlining all the issues to their customer support, but the whole process is so damn painful!
I've had a reply to my "case" saying it has been looked at again and I will now receive the due credit. That was a few days ago, still waiting, but I suppose it takes a while to process. Hopefully you will have the same outcome. You're right though, it's a stupid system.

Someone just tweeted them about something similar, and were advised to contact their customer services, as if they used the claim form it would be automatically rejected! So they know it's not working as it should.

Searle

Established Member
I've had a reply to my "case" saying it has been looked at again and I will now receive the due credit. That was a few days ago, still waiting, but I suppose it takes a while to process. Hopefully you will have the same outcome. You're right though, it's a stupid system.

Someone just tweeted them about something similar, and were advised to contact their customer services, as if they used the claim form it would be automatically rejected! So they know it's not working as it should.
Good to know, and thanks for letting me know! Fingers crossed I'll receive the same soon.

Hopefully it's a problem they are aware of and are trying to fix, rather than a problem they are happy to accept as it obfuscates the process...(!)

danm14

I was delayed by 71 minutes total on a Sail and Rail journey from Belfast in May, as a result of a 30 minute delay to the Glasgow-London train.

I made a claim from Avanti West Coast for a 100% refund on a single ticket as a result of a 60-119 minute delay, which was incorrectly awarded as a 25% refund for a 15-29 minute delay, despite there being no possible train to travel on to get to my destination with only a 15-29 minute delay following Avanti's 30 minute delay. I appealed, necessitating filling out the entire form again, including uploading a photograph of the ticket again.

My appeal has now been rejected outright, as they "are unable to find a timetabled journey that matches [my] claim", despite their delay repay form correctly identifying my original planned journey, and despite this not being an issue in respect of the original claim.

I have been asked to upload an image of my itinerary, but after filling out the entire form a third time (including uploading a photograph of the ticket again) there is no option to add additional files.

I have tried to make a complaint, but their complaints web-form gives an error if the text contains any punctuation; and attempting to telephone results in a two-minute long spiel about the upcoming strike action before being able to select an option, followed by being told that the easiest way to follow up on a delay repay claim is online before the line cuts out.

This is nothing short of an attempt to make the passenger give up.

johntea

Established Member
Has anyone ever had Northern complimentary tickets get lost in the post?

One was supposed to be on the way May 17th but still nothing 3 weeks later...

I suppose the only thing I can do is mention this to them and hope they send another but since they don't use recorded post to send them out it is going to be a battle of their word vs mine!

FenMan

Established Member
"but their complaints web-form gives an error if the text contains any punctuation"

GWR are also playing this game, so likely they're using the same service provider. But, surprise!, it suits the TOCs concerned very nicely., making it more difficult than it ought to be to make a complaint.

I am well aware of Hanlon's Razor, but ...

SteveM70

Established Member

I suppose the only thing I can do is mention this to them and hope they send another but since they don't use recorded post to send them out it is going to be a battle of their word vs mine!

Yes, and they sent replacements, but this was back in 2018 under the old regime

trover

Contact their customer service if it doesn’t arrive 15 days (suggested by them) after they’ve dispatched them, they usually reissue without quibble, if it happens again you can request it to be posted with recorded delivery. I’ve been waiting for one for nearly two weeks now:)

ServerHoster

Again with you-know-what train company that loves rejecting all the claims. (the xx.55 from Piccadilly-Wilmslow was cancelled, had to get the xx.01 which was 15 mins longer.)

1657205153681.png

Established Member
My Northern delay repay claim from the Leeds meal got rejected as they allegedly couldn’t find the train and I rang them up and got told it was an automation error but it was put down the reason as customer error on the “appeal” when they resubmitted it then it was approved.

trainophile

Established Member
Anyone else had an inordinately long wait for their refund even after it has been approved?

I was notified by TPE on 29th June that my claim for cancellations on the strike days was in progress and should be in my bank within 5-10 working days. On work day 11 1 emailed them, and received a reply saying I have to wait 28 days then they will give me an ARN number, whatever that is, for me to give to my bank.

Surely once they have processed it I should have received it within a couple of days.

WMR and Avanti are very quick at processing and paying out on delay repay claims. Couple of days and it’s in my bank. I haven’t claimed for cancellations from them as I don’t buy my tickets on their websites, but it shows it can be done.

trover

Anyone else had an inordinately long wait for their refund even after it has been approved?

I was notified by TPE on 29th June that my claim for cancellations on the strike days was in progress and should be in my bank within 5-10 working days. On work day 11 1 emailed them, and received a reply saying I have to wait 28 days then they will give me an ARN number, whatever that is, for me to give to my bank.

Surely once they have processed it I should have received it within a couple of days.

WMR and Avanti are very quick at processing and paying out on delay repay claims. Couple of days and it’s in my bank. I haven’t claimed for cancellations from them as I don’t buy my tickets on their websites, but it shows it can be done.
Not sure about refunds, but TP approved all of my DR claims nearly at the same time, some were submitted 2 weeks ago, another a few days ago. Perhaps they’re receiving more claims than they’re able to handle so just approve every claim they received recently:s

DelayRepay

Established Member

ARN is an Acquirer Reference Number and can be used by the bank to try to track down a missing refund. Good luck finding someone in your bank who knows that, or how to do it! But if they've got an ARN that does imply they've issued a refund to your card. Might be worth checking which card they sent the refund to? Were you claiming Delay Repay, or were you claiming a refund for the ticket?

trainophile

Established Member
ARN is an Acquirer Reference Number and can be used by the bank to try to track down a missing refund. Good luck finding someone in your bank who knows that, or how to do it! But if they've got an ARN that does imply they've issued a refund to your card. Might be worth checking which card they sent the refund to? Were you claiming Delay Repay, or were you claiming a refund for the ticket?
Refunds for cancellations on the two June strike days, when I called off my trip because of this. My claim defaulted to my current account sort code and account number, I didn't even enter any details just clicked to confirm this is where they should send the refund. Thanks for explaining re. ARN, at least I sort of know what I'm talking about if I have to take it up with the bank.

DelayRepay

Established Member
Refunds for cancellations on the two June strike days, when I called off my trip because of this. My claim defaulted to my current account sort code and account number, I didn't even enter any details just clicked to confirm this is where they should send the refund. Thanks for explaining re. ARN, at least I sort of know what I'm talking about if I have to take it up with the bank.
I would check the account that the card you used to purchase the tickets belongs to, if it's different to the sort code/account number that was populated on the form. If there's an ARN they've refunded using the 16 digit card number rather than sort code/account number.

Alternatively, they've sent the wrong 'stock reply' to your query!

trainophile

Established Member
Thanks for suggestion but I bought my own tickets on my usual current account. I reckon the refund has got lost in the system, just a bit concerned in case someone typed a wrong digit and gave my £26.50 to someone else. It's not the end of the world, not like a £150 ticket, but it's still money that I am owed.

trover

My delay repay claim with NT was rejected because they’ve been unable to locate a service that enabled me to complete my journey by train. Explained that the train was cancelled and was put on a taxi in appeal claim, got the same canned response rejecting my appeal. Then I filed a complaint through email, got a deadlock letter straightaway, no explanationo_O

Last edited:

Wolfie

Established Member
My delay repay claim with NT was rejected because they’ve been unable to locate a service that enabled me to complete my journey by train. Explained that the train was cancelled and was put on a taxi in appeal claim, got the same canned response rejecting my appeal. Then I filed a complaint through email, got a deadlock letter straightaway, no explanationo_O
Hopefully their stupidity costs them ££££s. Hurting useless TOCs hard financially is the only way that things may change. In such circumstances l now actively look to cost them as much as possible. Wasting my time will cost you dear.

paul1609

Established Member
Hopefully their stupidity costs them ££££s. Hurting useless TOCs hard financially is the only way that things may change. In such circumstances l now actively look to cost them as much as possible. Wasting my time will cost you dear.
Northern Trains branded trains are operated by Dft OLR trains Ltd, hitting them hard financially only reduces the taxpayer support available which will ultimately cause more cuts to the services.

trover

The case is now awaiting the ombudsman to process. They’ve been wasting my time and making me worried prior to this rejection - they cancelled the last train and refused to provide alternative transportation or overnight accommodation, I was almost stranded as I didn’t have cash with me. Luckily the TOC which managed the station was helpful enough to hire me a taxi. If I don’t get what I’m expecting I’m pursuing through legal actions, just like how they treat passenger who makes an honest mistake.

Wolfie

Established Member
The case is now awaiting the ombudsman to process. They’ve been wasting my time and making me worried prior to this rejection - they cancelled the last train and refused to provide alternative transportation or overnight accommodation, I was almost stranded as I didn’t have cash with me. Luckily the TOC which managed the station was helpful enough to hire me a taxi. If I don’t get what I’m expecting I’m pursuing through legal actions, just like how they treat passenger who makes an honest mistake.
Good for you, l wish that many more people did so. Don't forget that as an individual you get to pick the Court venue. As far as possible from their offices seems like a plan...

DelayRepay

Established Member
If they were correct that you couldn't complete your journey, the presumably they think it was an abandoned journey. Did they provide instructions to claim a full refund from the point of sale on that basis?

trover

If they were correct that you couldn't complete your journey, the presumably they think it was an abandoned journey. Did they provide instructions to claim a full refund from the point of sale on that basis?
They did suggest it. I actually get more money back if I refund the tickets, but I don’t think it’s appropriate to obtain a refund as I didn’t abandon my journey - I reached my destination and the railway paid for the taxi fare. I’ve mentioned all of these in my appeal but I don’t think they’ve read it carefully.

sor

I don't know who uses which outsourcer/supplier etc but the GWR version was more painless for me. It wasn't that clear how to deal with multiple passengers but somewhere on the website it hinted that you could upload multiple tickets for these situations, so I just took a photo of each one and put it in a single claim. Paid the correct total amount with no fuss. Not very user friendly though

RSDonovan

I’ve only needed to claim once, being a trip from Preston to London being delayed so long that I was entitled to a full refund. I completed the online form during the journey and received the refund the next day. I had bought the ticket online; maybe this sped things up?

STINT47

In a reverse of the usual experience EMR have processed my claim for a 29 minute delay but paid me compensation for a 30+ minutes delay. Doubling the amount of compensation.

My train arrived 29 minuets late, this was confirmed online so I selected a 15+ option but got the 30+ compensation.

It does make me think that when claims are incorrectly rejected or processed wrong it's probably more downto innocent mistakes rather than a deliberate attempt to save revenue. More training, tine to peocess each claim and attention to detail could perhaps help everyone out.

I could of course appeal and ask for some money to be taken back but as it's not my error I won't.