• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay

Status
Not open for further replies.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Hi All,

I am enquiring what would happen if ya are aiming to keep your ticket in the unlikley (correction) [very likley] event of a delay of 30mins+ on the rail network and want to put in a 'Delay Repay' claim to the TOC - and the barrier unexpectedly (to you) swallows your ticket.

Also - What happens when there is a delay of 'X' minutes on 'No.1 Train' meaning you to miss your connection to 'No.2 Train' and the next available connection bags a delay of 30mins+ - how would you go about claiming as you only get one set of tickets!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

devon_metro

Established Member
Show your ticket to the attendant and ask to let them through the gate, explaining that you need to keep the ticket for future reference.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
gordonthemoron said:
or just walk through behind someone else

I would never double up.

But what if it does swallow your ticket (as I said in the original post) and it was unexpected - can you get it back?

Chris-P

I would never double up.

But what if it does swallow your ticket (as I said in the original post) and it was unexpected - can you get it back?

Yup, speak to a staff member straight away and they'll open it up and get it out, or should, if not then complain!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Complain to Who?

What - By Leaving the STN?

If so it is to late to claim because you can not prove that you travelled and paid X amount of money to do so.

Chris-P

Complain to Who?

What - By Leaving the STN?

If so it is to late to claim because you can not prove that you travelled and paid X amount of money to do so.

Complain to the station manager, on scene, or note dates + times down and email customer services later (as long as you have dates + times, plus trains taken and records of tickets bought, IE anytime day return yyy to xxx)

Daniel

Established Member
Just find the gate staff point out which gate it was, they'll open it and get it out. Theres a catch system so the last 20 or so tickets stay near the top so they can get them back..

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi All,

I am enquiring what would happen if ya are aiming to keep your ticket in the unlikley (correction) [very likley] event of a delay of 30mins+ on the rail network and want to put in a 'Delay Repay' claim to the TOC - and the barrier unexpectedly (to you) swallows your ticket.
Don't put such a ticket through the gates.... or, if you already did, ask for it back... if all else fails send a copy of the booking confirmation (assuming you booked online...)
Also - What happens when there is a delay of 'X' minutes on 'No.1 Train' meaning you to miss your connection to 'No.2 Train' and the next available connection bags a delay of 30mins+ - how would you go about claiming as you only get one set of tickets!
Send the complete set of tickets to whoever caused the original delay. Take photocopies before you send them in case they get lost (NXEC used to deliberately 'lose' them according to an ex-NXEC staff member, and they put people who complained on a 'priority list' and their tickets never get lost, there is evidence to suggest John @ Home was on this priority list). You can't claim twice so I don't see how it matters that you "only get one set of tickets"??

First class

Established Member
You have no need to speak to any staff- secondly, you don't need your ticket.

The terms and conditions of the delay repay scheme regarding evidence is:

Claims need to be submitted within 28 days of the delay, and include your original ticket , a ticket receipt or copy of your season ticket.

If you pay by cash, you can always ask for one, and if you pay by card, you get one automatically.

It's all well and good saying demand to staff that you get the ticket back from the machine, but you don't realise that it means potentially holding a lot of people up trying to leave, as the staff may have to close a manual gate so that they can take an automatic gate out of use to search for your ticket. How is that member of staff to know that the ticket they get for you is yours? Say for example, Liverpool Central barriers. You travel from Sandhills (two stops) but the train originated at Ormskirk, much further away and more expensive. There are lots of tickets from both destinations. Someone claims they've came from Ormskirk, when they've actually came from Sandhills. The member of staff checks and there is a lot of each ticket in the bins.

Through various threads on this forum, I've noticed that Yorkie seems to be of the opinion that demanding names and managers will get you somewhere. If anyone demanded anything from me, you wouldn't be getting it. If you wanted my manager, I'd get them for you, but I think you'd find if your attitude was still poor you wouldn't get far. In fact there have been instances where people demanding things have been unable to control themselves, they've ended up getting PACED or arrested, even over retained tickets. You can take staff names- what exactly you going to do with it, if you're going to complain, date and time and quick description is sufficient!? I would imagine you're trying to use that as a threat...

If you need it back for something, ask politely. If they say no, accept it and walk away. Don't stand there questioning them/demanding. Contact the TOC customer service department as soon as possible and explain the situation. Most managers will back the employee if a customer starts kicking off.

Last edited:

Magicake

First class said:
If you pay by cash, you can always ask for one, and if you pay by card, you get one automatically.

I don't know where else this is the case for but at my local station if you pay by card you get a 'sales voucher' automatically which they do not count as a receipt. To get what they consider a 'receipt' you have to ask. Very misleading!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Through various threads on this forum, I've noticed that Yorkie seems to be of the opinion that demanding names and managers will get you somewhere. If anyone demanded anything from me, you wouldn't be getting it.
if a members of staff is acting incorrectly of course you have the right to refer the matter to a manager. if someone refused to co-operate that would indicate they know their manager won't be happy with them.
If you wanted my manager, I'd get them for you,
good.
but I think you'd find if your attitude was still poor you wouldn't get far.
rubbish. managers only need to be spoken to in rare cases where the staff member is acting incorrectly or obstructively and refuses to co-operate.

for example max had to speak to a manager at king's cross when he was refused an excess. the member of staff was told off. it's not common and passengers don't want to resort to that but it is the staff member not co-operating bringing it on themselves.
In fact there have been instances where people demanding things have been unable to control themselves, they've ended up getting PACED or arrested, even over retained tickets. You can take staff names- what exactly you going to do with it, if you're going to complain, date and time and quick description is sufficient!? I would imagine you're trying to use that as a threat...

If you need it back for something, ask politely. If they say no, accept it and walk away. Don't stand there questioning them/demanding. Contact the TOC customer service department as soon as possible and explain the situation. Most managers will back the employee if a customer starts kicking off.
if the manager doesn't help and treats the customer badly it can be taken to a higher level.

if staff hadn't given my ticket back at paddington (which I needed for onward travel) i'd have taken it as high up as required and certainly not 'walked away'.

staff who act against customers, like ian morbin, are in the minority (and do the majority a dis-service), but they can, be dealt with appropriately.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Yorkie, instead of demanding things have you ever thought of asking nicely and even using unusual words like "please" and "thank you", I find this sorts things out quickly and usually amicably. But then I was brought up to be polite unlike a lot of people I meet.
Of course you can stand there arguing, demanding and use the old "I pay your wages" or "I know my rights" lines but I find the polite way works much better!

I notice we have to ask to become a member of this forum, if somebody "demanded" to become a member how far would they get?

tony_mac

Established Member
ask politely. If they say no, accept it and walk away. Don't stand there questioning them/demanding.
So that lazy, incompetent staff can refuse to do their job, and you should just accept it without question?

It's never happened to me on the railway, but I've certainly been fobbed-off by staff in shops. In many cases going away and complaining afterwards, when you no longer have any evidence, is useless.

If anyone demanded anything from me, you wouldn't be getting it.
Maybe you shouldn't let your ego get in the way of doing your job.
Either it's the correct thing to do, or it isn't; the manner of the request doesn't change that.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yorkie, instead of demanding things
What have I demanded? I'll then answer that point directly.
have you ever thought of asking nicely and even using unusual words like "please" and "thank you", I find this sorts things out quickly and usually amicably. But then I was brought up to be polite unlike a lot of people I meet.
Where have I said that words like please and thank you should not be used?

Of course you can stand there arguing, demanding and use the old "I pay your wages" or "I know my rights" lines but I find the polite way works much better!
When have I suggested such lines should be used?

I do recommend that people do ensure they know their rights, though.
I notice we have to ask to become a member of this forum, if somebody "demanded" to become a member how far would they get?
Define the 'demand' and the circumstances and I'll ask the admins to answer that for you.

First class

Established Member
Yorkie, you are assuming that supervisors/managers are always available.

A lot of Merseyrail barriered stations do not have supervisors or managers available on site, just Station Retailers/Assts Secondly, it is also a very big assumption that the supervisor/managers know what they're doing. Considering most of the time it's them training the staff in the first place, getting what you want from the manager(s) may not go how you expect.

You say these are lazy, incompetent staff, yet as I have said above, it's usually the managers issuing instructions not to do these things. With regard to excesses in particular, a lot of the older staff there will not excess tickets from outside the Merseyrail network, citing "booking office rules". What I think has happened here is that they have confused not being able to excess ADVANCE tickets, to not excessing any ticket at all, as no instructions on excessing fares have been provided to many staff.

If you ask 90% of barrier/retail staff on Merseyrail, you will find that they will have never been told about the routeing guide, the FRPP, ticket restrictions etc. This is all management decisions. If someone does start complaining, and they seek clarification from their supervisor, and their supervisor doesn't know either- the only way you can deal with this is to contact the Customer Relations dept, (who are quite good). Station Assistants don't even have access to a computer at work. I also know that there are a lot of station staff who would value the opportunity to learn more, but they are told no.

Instead of getting fustrated at the barrier staff/retailer, fine, ask for the supervisor, but don't be surprised if they back the staff up, because they've not had that much more training that the barrier staff.

You can't really blame most front line staff for the way they do their job. Certain TOCs seem to think that 2 weeks, (10 days) "training" is sufficient for someone who knows nothing about the railway. It's the senior managers who don't realise what frustration this is causing to the general public and either won't authorise finances to allow more thorough re-training or will not accept there's a problem in the first place.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Listen - I do not want a huge thing against Yorkie on my (as the OP) thread. I do not want to have bad points on my account as this is not the way to go.

I would Thank You for Stopping and returning to the original target of this Thread.

Thanks

TransportPhotos

I may not Comment any More unless on topic to avoid Involvement.

Last edited:

First class

Established Member
Listen - I do not want a huge thing against Yorkie on my (as the OP) thread. I do not want to have bad points on my account as this is not the way to go.

I would Thank You for Stopping and returning to the original target of this Thread.

Thanks

TransportPhotos

We are sort of on topic here as we were debating about "demanding" things from staff. In this instance, someone may "demand" to retain their ticket for refund.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yorkie, you are assuming that supervisors/managers are always available.

A lot of Merseyrail barriered stations do not have supervisors or managers available on site, just Station Retailers/Assts Secondly, it is also a very big assumption that the supervisor/managers know what they're doing. Considering most of the time it's them training the staff in the first place, getting what you want from the manager(s) may not go how you expect.
I don't think I've ever said that asking for a manager is going to guarantee success, but I can give examples of where it has resolved the situation in the customers favour, and I gave one example in this topic.
You say these are lazy, incompetent staff,
I've not said that staff may be "lazy" since 30th June 2009, and I stand by what I said then! As for "incompetent", last time I said that staff were incompetent was on 9th February refering to the Virgin Oyster Travelcard incident, again I stand by the claim of incompetence.

I've not called staff lazy or incompetent in this topic, if you want to take issue with something I've said in another topic perhaps you can quote it to me in a PM or, if the topic is recent, reply to that topic?

Also your issue with me saying people should "demand", I said "ask" in this topic, and it appears that you are having a go at me for things I've said in other topics. Again, please can you let me know where you have an issue and I'll reply.
yet as I have said above, it's usually the managers issuing instructions not to do these things.
Well surely you should welcome asking to speak to a manager then? As it may be the case that the customer can get to the root of the problem and ensure that it is the manager who gets reported (if necessary) to Customer Services rather than the staff 'on the ground'?
With regard to excesses in particular, a lot of the older staff there will not excess tickets from outside the Merseyrail network, citing "booking office rules". What I think has happened here is that they have confused not being able to excess ADVANCE tickets, to not excessing any ticket at all, as no instructions on excessing fares have been provided to many staff.
Well, again, if I was told that, I'd want to know who had instructed them to say that, and take it further. I accept a manager may not be available on demand, but a letter can be written later asking for this manager to be re-trained and to issue correct guidance to his/her staff.
If you ask 90% of barrier/retail staff on Merseyrail, you will find that they will have never been told about the routeing guide, the FRPP, ticket restrictions etc. This is all management decisions. If someone does start complaining, and they seek clarification from their supervisor, and their supervisor doesn't know either- the only way you can deal with this is to contact the Customer Relations dept, (who are quite good). Station Assistants don't even have access to a computer at work. I also know that there are a lot of station staff who would value the opportunity to learn more, but they are told no.
Again, so asking for a manager can help the customer to determine exactly where the problem lies.
Instead of getting fustrated at the barrier staff/retailer, fine, ask for the supervisor, but don't be surprised if they back the staff up, because they've not had that much more training that the barrier staff.
I'm not going to tell people they should, or shouldn't, be frustrated. Of course some people are going to be frustrated. I'm sure the staff who are (whether deliberately or not) being obstructive would find it frustrating if they experienced problems going about their business when they themselves are customers in their spare time. If the supervisor backs up the member of staff when the staff member is giving wrong information, then that means that it can be made clear when making the complaint that it is the managers who need to be given suitable advice.
You can't really blame most front line staff for the way they do their job. Certain TOCs seem to think that 2 weeks, (10 days) "training" is sufficient for someone who knows nothing about the railway. It's the senior managers who don't realise what frustration this is causing to the general public and either won't authorise finances to allow more thorough re-training or will not accept there's a problem in the first place.
I am not saying that the front line staff are to blame in all cases. But asking for a manager can help identify where the problem lies. If you say that in many cases it is the manager who is to blame, then fine, and surely when a customer has a problem that they need to take forward, it is better that they discover that it is the managers who are the cause of the problem, rather than front-line staff, and the managers who can be given instructions by Customer Services to sort it out.

If I'm being refused excesses, rovers, split tickets or anything else out of the ordinary but covered under the rules of Impartial Retailing at my local station, I want it sorting, and yes I am going to get frustrated, and I am not going to walk away and accept it. Fortunately my local station is excellent for such things, but I realise that for some people they are not so fortunate and have bad experiences. I want them to get a better experience, and so should you, and everyone else in the industry. And to do that they should not walk away and accept being fobbed off; they need to take it further.

tony_mac

Established Member
You say these are lazy, incompetent staff
I don't think that anyone said that.
I used the term, but it was in general; as in, why should I accept an answer which I know is incorrect just because the staff are too lazy and incompetent to do their jobs properly?
it is also a very big assumption that the supervisor/managers know what they're doing.
Ok, so we shouldn't complain if staff are incompetent because their managers may also be incompetent?
While that may be accurate, it's no reason to fob customers off who are trying to resolve a legitimate complaint.
It is reasonable to do everything possible to rectify a problem while you are still there, and speaking to manager who may possibly have a clue (however unlikely) is a good place to start.

royaloak

Established Member
today I will mostly be at home decorating
Yorkie, my post wasn't aimed at you personally, just the way you advise people on here. Quite a few times lately you have told people to "demand to see a manager" or "demand the return of the ticket".
As I stated in my post if you "ask" to see a manager or "ask" for the ticket, it usually works out well.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yorkie, my post wasn't aimed at you personally, just the way you advise people on here. Quite a few times lately you have told people to "demand to see a manager" or "demand the return of the ticket".
As I stated in my post if you "ask" to see a manager or "ask" for the ticket, it usually works out well.
If I say "demand" something, I don't mean say "Oi, you, I demand you get a manager!" rudely. No, a firm but polite, "Please can I see a manager?" would do, but if they did not comply, then you would need to word it perhaps a bit more firmly, e.g. "Sorry but I can't accept that. I need to speak to a manager because I am sure that's not correct". I am sorry if I gave the impression that passengers should be rude, that's not what I meant at all.

If I say "Ask the guard" I mean "The guard is not obliged to say yes, however in reality many guards will agree to your request if you ask them nicely" e.g. in the topic where ChrisTheRef asked about FC upgrades on ALRs.

If I say "Demand a refund" then I generally mean ask them nicely but do not accept no for an answer as you are entitled to it, and be firm but polite in ensuring that they do it.

http://www.dictionary.co.uk/browse.aspx?word=demand

I don't think the word demand suggests rudeness? Of course if you say "I demand..." that is rude, and I would never suggest saying that (at least not initially!!!).

Established Member

Thanks

TransportPhotos

I may not Comment any More unless on topic to avoid Involvement.

Nothing bad on your account or the account of anyone else. All it is, is a good discussion which this site is for. It is all relevant to your OP as it is telling you what to do in case a barrier takes your ticket and you need it back.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Fair enough chief, but in the above sentence you contradict yourself but I know what you mean, honest ;) , and agree.
OK, cool. :) I think the term 'to demand' something doesn't imply or require rudeness; it implies that you have a right to it and it implies that you need to be firm in asking for it. But to use the expression "I demand" when addressing someone is likely to be seen as rude. I'll try to be more careful next time! (Although I didn't actually say that the OP should demand his ticket back, I said he should ask for it :lol:)

First class

Established Member
Apologies also if I have misinterpreted how you used the word "demand". To me, demanding things conjures up images of rudeness and verbal aggression in order to get what you want.

If you were being 'polite' and asking for the manager nicely, then obviously no problems with that.

What I am ultimately saying is you are better off dealing with the TOC customer service department, rather than front line staff.

The reasons being:

1) If the complaint is about a specific person, it is forwarded to:
-Station Supervisor
-Area Station Manager
Customer Relations will also define company policy and provide you with references. They usually pass relevant comments on to:
-Training Section
-Retail Pricing Manager
-ATOC

2) Customer Relations can sort of act independently. They were not present at the time. They will take into account what each party is saying. You may not think it, but most of the time they side with the customer.

3) If you do not contact Customer Relations, no "official" record of the incident is kept, so you can't really support a 'it always happens' complaint. If you even just write a quick letter or email to them, it's logged on to the system. If other people write in about similar incidents- a picture may start to form of what the real problems are, so may be more inclined to action improvements.

4) Station Supervisors/Managers are acting in their own best interests, they do not want to be seen not able to handle situations. They're not going to log a passenger complaint against themselves/their staff are they?! I've seen a few times where a passenger has had a complaint, (despite them being in the wrong), it was an Advance VT only ticket to Liverpool Stns and they "demanded" rudely that we allow them travel from Liverpool Central to Kirkby. He asked for the PIC and was presented with the Supervisor. The Supervisor concerned allowed him travel on our network (despite no valid ticket) and said that:

1) First of all, it was valid because it said 'Liverpool Stns'? huh?!
2) Not worth the investigation if he writes in.

All that has happened there is the customer will continue not to have a valid ticket for future journeys, and has been incorrectly advised, and it will never change because the passenger will never write in to complain because he's got what he wanted. When he eventually gets a Penalty Fare, the Supervisor denies ever telling him that.

Where practical, ask for a manager or superior, but always contact Customer Relations regardless of whether you think you got what you wanted or not. That is the only department that can really change things.

John @ home

Established Member
Send the complete set of tickets to whoever caused the original delay. Take photocopies before you send them in case they get lost (NXEC used to deliberately 'lose' them according to an ex-NXEC staff member, and they put people who complained on a 'priority list' and their tickets never get lost, there is evidence to suggest John @ Home was on this priority list).
Yes there was evidence. But there's also evidence that I'm not on it any more, or at least I'm not on any 'priority list' East Coast is using. We did not use two Leeds - London Advance tickets on 6 January due to weather-related service disruption. Of the first 12 Leeds - London services on that day, 3 ran and 9 were cancelled in whole or in part. I sent our claim and the tickets to East Coast on that day and the result has been total silence, not even a rejection or an acknowledgement.

A letter of complaint is going to East Coast MD Karen Boswell today together with a copy of our tickets and our claim. I will ask for her personal assurance that she is satisfied that all claims received by East Coast are dealt with properly and that none are deliberately 'lost'. I will also ask a couple of Freedom of Information Act questions, seeking the target performance level set for East Coast for response to claims and complaints and their actual performance for each period since they started operations. At least it is reported on other railway forums that East Coast are correctly responding to FoI requests as a public sector body.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting.

I wonder if the 'priority list' itself got, err, 'lost' (!) when NX transferred the EC franchise to DOR? Hmm....

Established Member
Quite interesting that, I had the same problem with Newcastle - Inverness, Inverness - Kings Cross and Kings Cross - Newcastle advance tickets around the same time as John, and I was refunded all of the tickets (even though I thought the Kings Cross - Newcastle ones shouldn't have been), but around 26 days after I got a phone call to say they needed my card details to refund the money to my account.

However she also did say that it would take 28 days for the refund - not actually sure if she meant a further 28 days for it to credit on my account or if that was the standard response period. Also reminds me that I need to check my bank statements.

rail-britain

Established Member
I made several claims on my First Class ALR last year
Not once did I send them my ticket, receipt, a photocopy, nor was I asked to supply either the ticket or a photocopy
However, what I did do was give details of the train, between what points I travelled, and photocopy of the seat reservation

Fastest to pay out were ScotRail, who reimbursed me before I had even travelled! (I claimed for the sleeper lounge vouchers, but it later turned out these aren't given to holders of First Class ALR and their website was quickly updated to correct that, my subsequent claim for a second batch of reservations was declined)

Slowest to pay out were Virgin Trains, I suspect this had been caused by claiming for two journeys one of which had been cancelled before reaching Birmingham New Street and the subsequent service being delayed

Most generous were (formerly National Express) East Coast, paying out for delays of between 30 and 59 minutes, plus paying out for completely missing one service (even though I travelled by ScotRail by travelling earlier)

Status
Not open for further replies.