• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dennis the menace turned into PC Softy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I used to like that show because of the violence of it, children won't want to see some w*nker being nice to everyone, they want to see people beating the ***** out of each other, that's why shows like loony tunes are so popular because they blow the stuffing out of each other not sit and give each other presents, you know what happened in that simpsons episode when "itchy and scratchy" became best of friends, eveyone was like "wtf was that about", not "lol they died" eventually they will get so bored taht they will end up on the streets, and we want to encourage them off the streets not put them on because they have nothing better to do. (end of rant)

Aussie_Rail

That's outrageous! Dennis the Menace was awesome, even now I still have a huge pile of the Beano and Dandy, and IIRC you might still be able to buy their comics and books in news agencies in some parts of Australia.

But changing iconic things like that for the sake of political correctness is outrageous. Just where and when will it all end?

Established Member
I agree with everyone else it is pathetic, why do they have to change everything to be PC.

I suppose he is now a upper class scallywag more than a menace who will he pick on now?

william

Established Member
Old cartoons imo provided children with a real education and do not promote violence in kids with a couple of braincells. eg roadrunner, the lesson; play on a road and get flattened by various heavy objects.

Established Member
"Dennis The Menace's abuse of Walter The Softy was also toned down to discourage 'gay bashing', he said."

Interesting.
They seem to be confusing gay with camp.

william

Established Member
baa baa black sheep have you any wool?

yes sir yes sir, three bags full.

one for the master, one for the dame,

and one for the little boy who lives down the lane.

krus_aragon

Established Member
now what, we can't call blackbirds blackbirds because it could be taken as racist, we have to call them "colouredbirds"

My niece's nursery group were overheard by her mother recently singing "Baa-Baa rainbow sheep".

A better approach is one I heard of being used in a school somewhere is Wales. Rather than start correcting the 'nonsense' nursery rhyme "Dacw Mam yn dwad" (Here comes mum), which makes reference to Jim-Crow, they had a lesson discussing why the reference was there in the first place.

Aussie_Rail

My niece's nursery group were overheard by her mother recently singing "Baa-Baa rainbow sheep".

I've heard that being used here too.

The Government department I used to work in, at Christmas time you couldn't use the term 'Merry Christmas' in emails or letters, and the official Christmas card one year used a picture of some scientific close up of cells. The inside was left blank.

When I left, that year at Christmas I mailed Christmas cards to everyone I worked at and I made sure they were all very traditional religious cards. My political correct manager, received a card with the nativity scene on it.:D

Even at Christmas time, shops don't play carols in fear of causing offence to someone who will probably find it offensive, decorations used are of a 'Christmasy' type, like stars and bells as anything else might swing towards being traditional and offend someone. Its all outrageous.

When I was a child, and I'm only 25, I remember having a Gollywog. Does anyone remember them? Try buying one now days. I will make sure my children have the same non-political correct upbringing as I did.

Now how's this for a joke. In Victoria there is an island called 'Phillip Island' which is extremely popular for tourists, especially Japanese ones that get ferried there by the coach load.

Well one of the biggest attraction down there is the Fairy Penguins, where you go and see them of an evening come onto the beach in their hundreds which they call the 'Fairy Penguin Parade', which its nice to watch.

Political Correctness pretty much tried to ruin that too, apparently some do-gooder, thought that the term 'fairy' was insulting to gay people and tried to have it changed, well the gay community slammed them and told them they had no worry at all, and didn't have a problem with it.

Another case was in Brisbane up in Queensland, 'Queens' Square in Brisbane almost went for a name change because another do-gooder thought that it was insulting to gay people etc.

You would imagine by now that if you were gay everyone would be bending over trying not to offend you. Although they are only some of the many cases of political correctness gone made. I don't think its done any good for society.

Geezertronic

Established Member
lol yeah, that does sound pretty bad haha. After reading it again, I believe I meant to say "Bending over backwards", do you guys use that term? "To bend over backwards for someone".

I'm sure we all knew what you were saying, it's just the innuendo was there for everyone to see :D

Status
Not open for further replies.