• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Departmental Class 930 (Ex 4-SUB)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I have been looking on wikipedia at departmental units and it appears that Ex-4-SUB now Class 930 (977364) is still one of the rare ones in service and I know wikipedia is not 100% accurate and wonder if anyone can confirm if it is still in use and were is it based?

Any infomation will be apreciated. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CROMPTON 33

it is listed at st leonards railway engineering. not seen when passing on the train maybe in side shed .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
NEW info . due to leave today for preservation at newton purcell . :D

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
it is listed at st leonards railway engineering. not seen when passing on the train maybe in side shed .
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
NEW info . due to leave today for preservation at newton purcell . :D

Thanks very much mate, lucky going to preservation what a streak of luck for the unit! :)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I believe it might have been used as a de-icing trailer between Thumper driving cars (If anyone can confirm :)). Incedentally, theres also something I pass regularly at Derby which definately appears to be an old SUB motor coach. If anyone knows anything about this or it's history I'd be fascinated?

CROMPTON 33

IF you mean etches park then it's 975600. ex 10988. used as a staff coach. 975601 ex 10843.used as a training room.:roll:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Excellent - cheers for that, does that mean there are two of them? I've only ever seen one at any given time and it often seems to have moved about when I go past.

Also, do either of them retain any of their SUB furnishings?

Last edited:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Excellent - cheers for that, does that mean there are two of them? I've only ever seen one at any given time and it often seems to have moved about when I go past.

Also, do either of them retain any of their SUB furnishings?

I hope they keeped the SUB furnishings as if it goes to preservation it has some original stuff with it!

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Indeed - Bouncy stripey seats forever :D

I am suprised that the Class 405 SUB lasted that long (1949 batch?) because Network Rail seem to buy new purpose built equipment instead of withdrawn units it seems now.

What suprised me even more was the seat thing the crew had a nice bouncy experience on them!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I am suprised that the Class 405 SUB lasted that long (1949 batch?) because Network Rail seem to buy new purpose built equipment instead of withdrawn units it seems now.

What suprised me even more was the seat thing the crew had a nice bouncy experience on them!

Yes, I only travelled on one once (the preserved one now at Coventry) although I don't remember it being any bouncier than some of the other units around at the time.

Certainly there were loads of departmental ones at Chart Leacon when I was growing up, although I think most of them dissappeared a few years ago :cry:

CROMPTON 33

yes 3905 plus 3918. are used at chart leacon. used as shunter's. then there are the class 416 's used at selhurst for de-icing around the depot.930204 ex 65302/65304. 930206 ex 66382/66379.:D

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
yes 3905 plus 3918. are used at chart leacon. used as shunter's. then there are the class 416 's used at selhurst for de-icing around the depot.930204 ex 65302/65304. 930206 ex 66382/66379.:D

Thanks for the numbers. :)

As for the Ex-Class 416 EPB is there any chance I could catch it on a run, as I think I caught it at Waterloo (Western Side) in 2008 in NR livery but I never got a good look at as I was busy at the time. :(

I believe 930204 and 930206 are both at the site of Finmere station along with the newly arrived 4SUB trailer, and have been since last summer.

Incidentally, anyone know what is planned for the growing collection of 3rd rail stock there?

Chris

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Nice to hear. :)

But I got some good news yorksrob, a 4-VOP (VEP sub-class I think?) is still being used a shunter suprisingly! I'll try a get the units number.

I wonder if regulations would allow them to take us for a spin around the depot :lol:

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
A dmu shunter? Never thought I'd see the day..... Could you please scan the photo so I can see it?

EMU Shunter! VOPs are a VEP subclass with the first class area gutted and its standard all through?

If you have got this months Railway magazine it's theres a picture of it shunting a Class 442 (I have not got a picture avalible), and it's still in Connex livery too!

CraigS

Established Member
Have you seen the picture of a VOP shunting a Class 442 (This months RM)? Looks very weird a MK1 EMU hauling a MK3 EMU!

Looks even weirder shunting class 460s around! See here and here :lol:

Good to know the ex-SUB trailer previosuly at St Leonards has been preserved. As someone who lives in St Leonards I saw it quite often through the windows of St Leonards Depot. Here's a couple of photos (not mine) of it at St Leonards shortly before leaving for Finmere:

http://gallery35428.fotopic.net/p63195046.html
http://gallery35428.fotopic.net/p63195045.html

It was used as part of DEMU 930301, which has two motor coaches - 977939 (formally 60145 from 205027/1127) and 977940 (formally 60149 from 205031/1131). There was also an ex-class 205 centre trailer (ex-60660 from unit 1111 (laterly 205101/205205) which was sometimes formed as part of 930301 and I believe out of the two trailers, this one was used for sandite application. However, it has since been scrapped at St Leonards.

FlyingScot

emu shunter! Vops are a vep subclass with the first class area gutted and its standard all through?

If you have got this months railway magazine it's theres a picture of it shunting a class 442 (i have not got a picture avalible), and it's still in connex livery too!

stop shouting im shouting cos i have sticky keys on and cant turn them off!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
EMU Shunter! VOPs are a VEP subclass with the first class area gutted and its standard all through?

If you have got this months Railway magazine it's theres a picture of it shunting a Class 442 (I have not got a picture avalible), and it's still in Connex livery too!

Yes, it would have been even better if they'd chosen ones with their 1st class intact. I can remember travelling in them once or twice in the central division and the inside of the stripped driving trailers looked very peculiar indeed :| If only they'd chosen a couple with compartments. Still - glad they're there whenever I visit my home town :)

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Looks even weirder shunting class 460s around! See here and here :lol:

Good to know the ex-SUB trailer previosuly at St Leonards has been preserved. As someone who lives in St Leonards I saw it quite often through the windows of St Leonards Depot. Here's a couple of photos (not mine) of it at St Leonards shortly before leaving for Finmere:

http://gallery35428.fotopic.net/p63195046.html
http://gallery35428.fotopic.net/p63195045.html

It was used as part of DEMU 930301, which has two motor coaches - 977939 (formally 60145 from 205027/1127) and 977940 (formally 60149 from 205031/1131). There was also an ex-class 205 centre trailer (ex-60660 from unit 1111 (laterly 205101/205205) which was sometimes formed as part of 930301 and I believe out of the two trailers, this one was used for sandite application. However, it has since been scrapped at St Leonards.
Great pictures mate, and thanks for the infomation. :)

And I notice various EMUs in th back round, one of which looks like a 2-EPB?
Yes, it would have been even better if they'd chosen ones with their 1st class intact. I can remember travelling in them once or twice in the central division and the inside of the stripped driving trailers looked very peculiar indeed :| If only they'd chosen a couple with compartments. Still - glad they're there whenever I visit my home town :)

I am also sure some were converted in the early 2000s to 3-VOPs?

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Great Picture acg5324! But are there any Driving Veichles left from the SUBs?

I must also correct my last post. No Class 423 VEPs were converted to VOPs in the early 2000s, it was Connex who converted & reduced CIGs/BIGs to 3 cars, stripping the first Class accomadation and making them standard class through out, these were classified COPs (CIG/BIG sub-class) for 'Coastway' services.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Great pictures mate, and thanks for the infomation. :)

And I notice various EMUs in th back round, one of which looks like a 2-EPB?

I am also sure some were converted in the early 2000s to 3-VOPs?

Yes, on bing maps theres definately something that looks like a BR EPB driving trailer in NSE livery - I must admit, the last few times I've been past I've caught glimpses of the VOP's but nothing earlier :cry:

I believe all the stored EMU's at ashford have just been carted off to Rotherham for scrapping. With regards to SUB driving motors, SERA at coventry have an entire 4SUB.

Chris

TDK

Established Member
Yes, I only travelled on one once (the preserved one now at Coventry) although I don't remember it being any bouncier than some of the other units around at the time.

Certainly there were loads of departmental ones at Chart Leacon when I was growing up, although I think most of them dissappeared a few years ago :cry:

I used to travel to school on 4-SUB's and 4-EPB's every day, horrible things to travel in, EPB means every person bounces :)

I also used to drive the Sandite/de-icer that was a 2 car unit derived form a 4-sub with 2 power cars out of Selhurst, good accelleration

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.