• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment Ardwick depot 17/12/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

323 Class

Should there be check rails on the points?
Edit: Found this picture and it appears there are.
EL-u9I1WsAANOTc.jpg

The Waterloo incident attached appears to be a similar incident.

Attachments

• R442007_071218_Waterloo.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Bovverboy

Established Member
Anyone know the reason for the derailment? Or what's happened to 323234?

montyburns56

I'm just watching this incident featured in the C5 show The Railway 24/7 and I was wondering if it was ever revealed exactly what caused the derailment?

sjm77

I'm just watching this incident featured in the C5 show The Railway 24/7 and I was wondering if it was ever revealed exactly what caused the derailment?

I was too busy aghast that they pixelated out the Northern logo on the side of the derailed unit and kept referring to it as "another operator's train"!

geoffk

Established Member
I was too busy aghast that they pixelated out the Northern logo on the side of the derailed unit and kept referring to it as "another operator's train"!
Yes I noticed that. Why would they do it? It's not exactly a state secret. What other operator could it have been?

Class 170101

Established Member

The programme didn't as far as I could tell. The 'blanking' out of it was a bit naff to be honest, I could see it was Northern as well.

Interestingly though I was expecting it to be the Neville Hill IEP derailment. Board members will have to remind me when that was.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Around the same time roughly ish although it wouldn’t have had any effect on TPE services as TPE doesn’t use Neville Hill.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Must have been quite a lot of delay minutes caused by this. What might have caused the incident? Pointwork failure?

timothyw9

I'm going to suspect Arriva Rail North requested the censoring of Northern, would not be amused if it was OLR (government) that requested it.

Nymanic

I'm going to suspect Arriva Rail North requested the censoring of Northern, would not be amused if it was OLR (government) that requested it.

Arriva are a possible suspect - DB will be a little sensitive to matters like these if they're hoping to get Arriva sold off.

I wouldn't put it past the government either - a sad indictment of current times.

But I'd also note that the derailment occurred at Ardwick depot, so wouldn't TPE be responsible here? Drawing attention to it being a 'Northern' train could amount to a very crass case of scapegoating.

Geeves

Established Member
So far as I remember the new sidings had only been opened the day before for storage of Northerns 323s. If there was any blame being pointed would it not be to the company that built said sidings? That being said AFAIK the 323s are shunted around the depot by the Siemens staff with the Northern driver being relieved at the gate.

Who ever was at fault its not good publicity and I am almost certain TPE would ask the same if the documentary was on Northern. Its just PR.

JN114

Established Member
Did whichever flavour of Northern agree to take part in the programme? As I understand they’re following NR and TPE.

When they did Paddington 24/7 one of the “other” operators at Paddington refused to take part in the programme, and while their trains featured in mood/background shots, their branding was hidden, and the company name was never mentioned in dialogue. Is it the same here?

43095john

Around the same time roughly ish although it wouldn’t have had any effect on TPE services as TPE doesn’t use Neville Hill.

Plus the Neville Hill incident happened late at night, oniy affected a few services which diverted via Castleford adding 10-15 mins and I believe the overnights were booked via Castleford anyways that night so no major impact.

Skutter

More likely the production company just blurring any company they don't have a contract with. They also seem to blur the faces of any children, even in public areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.