• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derailment in Washwood Heath area

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Hearing reports coming in of a derailment in Washwood Heath area, any ideas what happened? Looking like Leicester shorts are cancelled and Stansted to New Street terminating at Coleshill. NE Services being diverted to run via the Cross-City line and calling additionally at Burton-on-Trent.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

4014 apparently, happened outside Saltley on the 20mph Down Goods, witnessed by my mate at Lawley St. Dropped off the road then bounced back on.

Class 170101

Established Member
A perfect reason for XC to have kept the Sutton Park Line on their route cards!

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A perfect reason for XC to have kept the Sutton Park Line on their route cards!

Diversions have been via Wichnor Junction to Lichfield Trent Valley and then along the Cross City

the sniper

Established Member
Diversions have been via Wichnor Junction to Lichfield Trent Valley and then along the Cross City
That doesn't help the Leicesters or Stansteads though...

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
Surely the derailment didn't foul all running lines in the Saltley area?

Was it really necessary to curtail/divert all passenger services which go that way?

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
They were talking of lineside equipment problems, did the derailment damage something or are they unrelated?

XC services to the north running about 50 minutes down this evening.

muug1982

I took the 18:48 Leicester - Birmingham yesterday evening...thought XC did a decent enough job. TM made lots of announcements and walked through train to check everyone understood what was going to happen at Coleshill where services were terminating.
There were at least 4 units parked up at Leicester, in the sidings and P1, so a little surprised the locals couldn't run even if only to Nuneaton / Coleshill. At the Coleshill end, there were 5 coaches in the car park to head to International. Looked like trains were arriving on P2, going ECS to Water Orton and then departing from P1 at Coleshill.

Only criticism was the on board advice to take the No. 70 bus to Birmingham...this takes 45mins, only runs once per hour after 7pm and calls on Priory Queensway, the other side of the city centre to New Street...hopefully staff on the ground at Coleshill were sending people via International.

Appears the locals have been canned again today...hopefully trains will be 5 car between Brum and Leicester at least in the peaks - again not sure why services couldn't terminate at Coleshill or Nuneaton given the paths and units exist.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Took out 805 and 802 points which gets you from the Up and Down Derby Slow across towards Landor St and St Andrews from what I hear, 10500 minutes and counting....

Rugd1022

Had to leave my loco in the down side at W'Wood Heath this morning, the forward working wasn't allowed past the derailment, at least not until later on.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
It was all rather quiet this morning when I picked up my train at Landor street just after 7 this morning. Normally see a fair few trains whilst walking up to the relieving point, saw one voyager so not sure which lines were open.

HLE

Established Member
I took the 18:48 Leicester - Birmingham yesterday evening...thought XC did a decent enough job. TM made lots of announcements and walked through train to check everyone understood what was going to happen at Coleshill where services were terminating.
There were at least 4 units parked up at Leicester, in the sidings and P1, so a little surprised the locals couldn't run even if only to Nuneaton / Coleshill. At the Coleshill end, there were 5 coaches in the car park to head to International. Looked like trains were arriving on P2, going ECS to Water Orton and then departing from P1 at Coleshill.

Only criticism was the on board advice to take the No. 70 bus to Birmingham...this takes 45mins, only runs once per hour after 7pm and calls on Priory Queensway, the other side of the city centre to New Street...hopefully staff on the ground at Coleshill were sending people via International.

Appears the locals have been canned again today...hopefully trains will be 5 car between Brum and Leicester at least in the peaks - again not sure why services couldn't terminate at Coleshill or Nuneaton given the paths and units exist.

They could easily turn round at Nuneaton/coleshill, they do on some Sundays during possessions, albeit to a possibly reduced service , I'd imagine diagramming the traincrew would be a nightmare ....but certainly not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.