• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derby Resignalling - 22 July - 7 October 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag51ruk

I don't think they will spend any money on it! But if it was a bi-product of an existing scheme then I am sure they would take advantage

The specification for the new East Midlands franchise requirea an hourly Sunday morning service from 0900ish between Derby and Crewe from 2020

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western Sunset

Established Member
In the above video at 1:00, the clearance between the south end of plat 6 and the new plat 7 seems very tight. Is the south end of plat 6 to be realigned?

Established Member
In the above video at 1:00, the clearance between the south end of plat 6 and the new plat 7 seems very tight. Is the south end of plat 6 to be realigned?
Yes platforms 3 to 6 will be realigned to be straighten and have a shallower curve.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Part of the reason the adjacent bay platform 5 is abolished is to make space for that part of platform 6 (which becomes platform 5) to be cut back.

The Modern Railways feature mentions that the depot pilot line, on the back of the new island, will be used as a platform for London trains during the re-signalling period and is described as platform 7. I wonder if they will continue to use it occasionally, such as for late night finishers and early morning starters that use that track to access the depot. Perhaps another candidate for the recent thread on rarely-used platforms?

Established Member
The Modern Railways feature mentions that the depot pilot line, on the back of the new island, will be used as a platform for London trains during the re-signalling period and is described as platform 7. I wonder if they will continue to use it occasionally, such as for late night finishers and early morning starters that use that track to access the depot. Perhaps another candidate for the recent thread on rarely-used platforms?
The idea is for it be to a staff platform so trains from Etches Park do not need to take up other platforms and reduce the need to go to Chad sidings and back south. I think it could be used for normal passenger services such as in times of disruption but it will not have an official platform number.

civ-eng-jim

The Modern Railways feature mentions that the depot pilot line, on the back of the new island, will be used as a platform for London trains during the re-signalling period and is described as platform 7. I wonder if they will continue to use it occasionally, such as for late night finishers and early morning starters that use that track to access the depot.

There's no flank protection so won't be used for passenger services

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Flank protection is the practice of setting and locking points that are not part of a particular route when that route is set, so that any trains incorrectly approaching those points are diverted away from possible collision. The most obvious example is when the two ends of a crossover are always worked together.

However looking at the layout in Modern Railways I don't see how it's relevant here, unless some of the things shown as crossovers have their ends worked separately.

Derby station, Thursday afternoon (19th July).

Still a lot of work to be done before the new platform is completed. Signage is being erected, and this is possibly causing some problems for people who aren't familiar with the station as there are presently two platforms numbered 6! I wonder if any platform staff have been asked yet if they're on the right one?

And there's also a platform 7; even though its shorter than all of the station's other platforms, it has been split into 7a and 7b

Two running-in boards lying down at the south end of platforms 6/7 waiting to be erected; they state "Welcome to Derby (Midland)" - although it shows "Derby Midland" over the station's main entrance, all platform signs just show "Derby".

Dismantling of canopy at south end of platforms 4 and 6 has started; however, nothing seems to have been done to the canopy at the west end of 4 where it is adjacent to 5.

Mugby

Established Member
Well the blockade begins in a few days time and I'll be interested to see how the replacement buses will be sourced and organised.
No doubt they will be procured from a plethora of small concerns, the large companies won't have any spare capacity for hire, particularly on weekdays. I imagine two or even three buses will be needed at certain busy times e.g. during the works, there will be race meetings at Uttoxeter and the football season will begin again shortly.

The buses for Nottingham and Chesterfield will depart from the Pride Park side and there has been much anger expressed on the local news recently about road works on the A52 which involve lane closures with considerable delays and the work appears to have stalled of late with no progress at the present time.

The buses for Uttoxeter and Burton will depart from the station front but I'm not sure where this means. Presumably the small bus station will be required for registered services so I imagine the RRBs will load by the roadside, opposite the old railway institute. Not ideal during any heavy rain storms!

Interesting times ahead, I'll be popping down occasionally to see how it's going!

DDB

The road painters have been active on the city side of the station and the pick up/drop off parking spaces in front of the former railway institute have been converted to bus stops.

Leaflets have been handed out about discounts on most effected journeys. I am an annual season ticket holder and have recived rail vouchers in the post yesterday without having to request them.

DDB

edwin_m

Veteran Member
No doubt they will be procured from a plethora of small concerns, the large companies won't have any spare capacity for hire, particularly on weekdays. I imagine two or even three buses will be needed at certain busy times e.g. during the works, there will be race meetings at Uttoxeter and the football season will begin again shortly.
The Nottingham blockade in 2013 seemed generally very well organised Bus operators included NCT (who definitely have spare vehicles in the summer due to some routes running less frequently, and I think also postponed some withdrawals to enlarge their fleet temporarily) and Stagecoach. Coaches were used on some of the longer routes.

'Download' shuttles are run from Derby by the Notts & Derby subsidiary of the Wellglade Group; Wellgalde run trentbarton, and the Notts & Derby fleet is a mixture of some bought-in double deckers and older single-deckers cascaded from trentbarton as new ones are procured.

Some weeks ago, it was reported on the Derby Bus Depot website that Wellglade were "storing" buses on a closed factory site in Derby; might be a coincidence, but these could be for shuttles during the station's closure.

ag51ruk

Notts & Derby also run the University of Derby buses, which are less frequent in the summer, so should have some spare capacity - they have previously operated rail replacement services from Derby.

Mugby

Established Member
the Notts & Derby fleet is a mixture of some bought-in double deckers and older single-deckers cascaded from trentbarton as new ones are procured.

Some weeks ago, it was reported on the Derby Bus Depot website that Wellglade were "storing" buses on a closed factory site in Derby; might be a coincidence, but these could be for shuttles during the station's closure.

Notts & Derby also run the University of Derby buses, which are less frequent in the summer, so should have some spare capacity - they have previously operated rail replacement services from Derby.

I imagine any vehicles hired from Notts & Derby will solve one problem but create another:

a) being buses rather than coaches, there won't be any accessibility issues.
b) single deck capacity will be rather low (with some inward facing seats) and there won't be any luggage space.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
I imagine any vehicles hired from Notts & Derby will solve one problem but create another:

a) being buses rather than coaches, there won't be any accessibility issues.
b) single deck capacity will be rather low (with some inward facing seats) and there won't be any luggage space.

Well the blockade begins in a few days time and I'll be interested to see how the replacement buses will be sourced and organised.

The buses for Nottingham and Chesterfield will depart from the Pride Park side and there has been much anger expressed on the local news recently about road works on the A52 which involve lane closures with considerable delays and the work appears to have stalled of late with no progress at the present time.

The buses for Uttoxeter and Burton will depart from the station front but I'm not sure where this means. Presumably the small bus station will be required for registered services so I imagine the RRBs will load by the roadside, opposite the old railway institute. Not ideal during any heavy rain storms!

Interesting times ahead, I'll be popping down occasionally to see how it's going!

I think Stagecoach have already brought 15 double deck coaches down from Scotland. Arriva are supplying some buses too.

Established Member
Buses used today include Arriva midlands and shires vehicles from Leicester, Milton Keynes and Luton. Midland classic was also used for Burton services. EMT Uttoxeter coaches is in the hands of Viking travel.

Mugby

Established Member
Buses used today include Arriva midlands and shires vehicles from Leicester, Milton Keynes and Luton. Midland classic was also used for Burton services. EMT Uttoxeter coaches is in the hands of Viking travel.

Do the drivers also come from such depots as Milton Keynes and Luton? Must run the risk of them getting lost on rail replacement routes?

I've heard it suggested elsewhere that there aren't any RRBs to Chesterfield this week due to EMT operating their usual two trains per hour.
But XC aren't operating via Derby from today so users of their one train per hour will have to be carried by EMT.

Established Member
Do the drivers also come from such depots as Milton Keynes and Luton? Must run the risk of them getting lost on rail replacement routes?

I've heard it suggested elsewhere that there aren't any RRBs to Chesterfield this week due to EMT operating their usual two trains per hour.
But XC aren't operating via Derby from today so users of their one train per hour will have to be carried by EMT.
I don't know maybe if there are some drivers from other locations they are given some sort of guidance. You are correct on no buses to chesterfield as EMT are running a normal service which is half of the normal service as cross country have two per hour towards Sheffield.

ag51ruk

There was a driver "route learning" on my bus to Burton this afternoon - Arriva single decker that needed a good clean inside. Burton was very busy and Cross Country staff checking tickets on buses and entry to trains

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I doubt the two EMT trains per hour are crowded as they only go as far as Sheffield. The quicker journey time by train probably means that any bus would be overtaken by the next train so hardly anyone would bother to use it.

civ-eng-jim

To save this thread turning into a rail replacement bus discussion - Picture of the first turnout going in on the Down Tamworth/Down Sunnyhill Loop.

Photo looking north from Goodsmoor Road

Attachments

• 100_1741.JPG
    100_1741.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 113

Mugby

Established Member
I can't understand how replacement of that turnout can be part of the core project.

Are they using the blockade to carry out routine renewals also?

Established Member
I can't understand how replacement of that turnout can be part of the core project.

The loops near ambergate junction are going to get similar treatment. It would make sence to replace other equipment at the same time as it can save needing otherengineering works after the project.

civ-eng-jim

It's part of the bigger scheme rather than a like for like renewal - The new turnout is 40mph and the old was only 25mph (I think). For the scheme to operate as so desired, higher speeds into and out of the loops was required.

On the Up Tamworth a turnout was replaced on the Sunnyhill loops last summer as part of some pre-closure works to de-risk the main works. I'm not sure why the other turnouts on the Sunnyhill loops couldn't be done outside of the partial closure though.

The loops near ambergate junction are going to get similar treatment. It would make sence to replace other equipment at the same time as it can save needing otherengineering works after the project.

Is this part of the North of Derby journey time improvements? (If that scheme is still on the cards) Or just a like for like renewal? The track work for Derby resignalling only goes as far north as the bridge with the A38 over it.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Signalling changes are probably needed to obtain the full benefit of higher turnout speeds into and out of the loops, and if all the changes are made together the drivers only need to learn them once. Therefore it makes sense to upgrade the turnouts within the area of the re-signalling at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.