• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Derbyshire CC propose axing all scheduled subsided bus services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That is part of their overall compensation package, just as Tesco employees getting in-store discount is. As such, if that was considered, no doubt salaries would need to increase.

Overall compensation packages can change. I know people employed by Tesco and Iceland and both have lost privileges over the years, certainly including the level of staff discount in the latter case - pay did not increase to cover these losses. However, if I were to lose my entitlement to free bus travel, I would certainly demand of Mr G Osborne an increase in my state pension. I might even be quids in, seeing how little use I make of my pass.:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Many local authorities have already stopped bus subsidies, e.g. Labour-controlled Stoke-On-Trent, so this is not a party political matter.

That implies that local authorities are not simply talking shops that exist to do what central government tells them.

This is what they are, they have essentially no independent tax base and are simply extensions of Whitehall's will.

chessie

Not sure if this has been reported elsewhere but just spotted this on the Derbyshire Council website. I cant get the link to the news page to work so can't get further info at mo:-

Subsidised bus services to continue

Bus passengers in Derbyshire are to keep services paid for by us as plans to cut public transport funding are reviewed. It had been proposed to withdraw funding for around 144 subsidised services from October 2017. Following consultation where more than 90% of respondents said they disagreed with the plan, we have now agreed to provide £3m to continue funding some of these services.

The future of individual services has yet to be decided but we will be working closely with operators to see if some can be run commercially. We will also continue to review the whole of the bus network, streamlining less well-used services by reducing their frequency and joining up other services to reduce duplication.
New Derbyshire Connect Service

A new-style bus service is to go on trial in the wider Ashbourne area early next year. 'Derbyshire Connect' will be piloted from 13 February 2017. Passengers will need to book but will be able to travel at variable times, from and to anywhere within the Derbyshire Connect zone. This takes in many of Ashbourne's surrounding villages and including Wirksworth, making it a much more flexible service than a timetabled bus with fixed routes. More details about how to book will be announced shortly. Find out more on our news page.

Call Connect introduced north of Ashbourne from the 12th February 2017.
Withdrawn from the 26th March 2017 as a result:

Services 101 and 102 (High Peak): These services will be withdrawn. The new 'Derbyshire Connect' service will offer an alternative, more flexible, service.

These services cover Mappleton & Thorpe, Parwich & Kirk Ireton 6 days a week. All of these villages were previously covered by market day only services years ago and realistically would never generate enough custom for a fixed daily timetable. Thorpe is covered by the fixed route Moorlands Connect to Ashbourne on Tuesdays & Thursdays though.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Call Connect introduced north of Ashbourne from the 12th February 2017.
Withdrawn from the 26th March 2017 as a result:

Services 101 and 102 (High Peak): These services will be withdrawn. The new 'Derbyshire Connect' service will offer an alternative, more flexible, service.

These services cover Mappleton & Thorpe, Parwich & Kirk Ireton 6 days a week. All of these villages were previously covered by market day only services years ago and realistically would never generate enough custom for a fixed daily timetable. Thorpe is covered by the fixed route Moorlands Connect to Ashbourne on Tuesdays & Thursdays though.

It's not flexible if you have to book in advance and travel at a time convenient for the operator not necessarily yourself. Quite the opposite.

pemma

Veteran Member
It's not flexible if you have to book in advance and travel at a time convenient for the operator not necessarily yourself. Quite the opposite.

More flexible for the operator not the passenger. Flexible services are also only usually available to people living in the area. Those using the flexible bus services in Cheshire East are told something like the bus will pick you up between 09:15 and 10:00 when they book.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robertj21a

On Moderation
More flexible for the operator not the passenger. Flexible services are also only usually available to people living in the area. Those using the flexible bus services in Cheshire East are told something like the bus will pick you up between 09:15 and 10:00 when they book.

Also 'flexible' as in the route that can be taken.

HowMuch?

When you are given a time window, how do you know when to go and wait for the bus. Does the driver come and knock on your door; or send you a text or something? Or do you just go out and shiver in the rain for 45 minutes?

If they text you, it could be handy for hikers. Pub to pub and pub to train station direct links. Though I auppose if there's more than one or two of you you might as well just ring a taxi.

pemma

Veteran Member
When you are given a time window, how do you know when to go and wait for the bus. Does the driver come and knock on your door; or send you a text or something? Or do you just go out and shiver in the rain for 45 minutes?

In the case of the Cheshire East service the bus goes to somewhere like Handforth Dean Retail Park and picks up people from as close to their address as they can get within a time window they are given. The return journey will leave at a fixed time but the time you get back home one week could be very different from another week depending on who else has booked the service and where they live.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The lack of flexibility usually lies in the need to book the day before - nobody seems to have thought to adapt the concepts of Uber and the likes into this kind of service in order to allow much later bookings.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Some of the problems with these 'flexible' services is that the clientele and/or rural nature means that there may be little computer usage (even if there's a signal available). I think many routes can only work with just phone calls/texts.

johnnychips

Established Member
An embankment collapse has occurred between Haddon Hall and Alport Lane on the B5056, and there are temporary traffic lights. Presumably they will have to shut the whole road to repair it.

chessie

Yep, thats where the road is closing, I think the current plan is to get everything sorted and open just before the Easter bank holiday

chessie

Totally agree!! This diversion will only add further to normal, looking forward to my trip out on Saturday :D.

Last edited:

kevjs

Down here in Cornwall, money has been saved on low usage subsidised routes by taking lower cost options, operators costing using 15 seater minibuses etc instead of full sized buses.
Summercourt Travel (Travel Cornwall) and OTS are the main 2 operators after First in West Cornwall and they seem to have the rural routes wrapped up with Mercedes Sprinter minibuses ( https://flic.kr/p/CwEntJ )which are cheaper to run and purchase, thus providing a lower cost option.

Nottingham had a few of the mini-buses for a while, they've been replaced by Solo's (Diesiel and Electric) in the last few years, not sure how Nottingham Community Transport are able to manage such modern fleets, which have been growing as they've taken over the local links from NCT, and an ever expanding local link network. I guess an urban area with lots of concessionary pass holders and little rural running probably helps?

Looks like the first snippets of information are starting to appear re the October changes with Derbyshire Connect being rolled out across the county...

http://www.chesterfield.co.uk/2017/08/derbyshire-connect-services-rolled-countywide/

Has anything else been announced anywhere yet?

These are advertised in the June Peak District Timetable book. They appear to be replacing the old dial a bus network for the elderly rather than established bus services at the moment but looking ahead it does appear they will be designed to replace established tenders - presumably as they expire - in the future.

ag51ruk

I have noticed recently that the normally excellent DCC website isn't being updated as often as it used to be - the forthcoming bus changes page is still showing all of the July changes, but no changes in September (even though some new timetables are already up on the bus timetable pages, e.g the withdrawal of Saturday services on the Royal Derby route)

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I have noticed recently that the normally excellent DCC website isn't being updated as often as it used to be - the forthcoming bus changes page is still showing all of the July changes, but no changes in September (even though some new timetables are already up on the bus timetable pages, e.g the withdrawal of Saturday services on the Royal Derby route)

I emailed the council on this matter last week, received an acknowledgment yesterday (Friday), and await their full response.

With there being no updates on the 'updates page', I had assumed there were no forthcoming changes. Now I know to check each individual page in the 'timetable library' on a regular basis instead / as well.

pemma

Veteran Member
Looks like the first snippets of information are starting to appear re the October changes with Derbyshire Connect being rolled out across the county...

http://www.chesterfield.co.uk/2017/08/derbyshire-connect-services-rolled-countywide/

Has anything else been announced anywhere yet?

Some cancellations have appeared on VOSA:

PC0003396/50 Cancelled
G & J HOLMES (COACHES) LTD
Route: Matlock to Matlock via Hurst Farm
Service number: M1
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 29 Oct 2017

PC0003396/52 Cancelled
Route: Matlock to Matlock via Cavensish Road
Service number: M4

PC0003396/51 Cancelled
Route: Matlock to Matlock via Hackney
Service number: M3

PC0003396/45 Cancelled
Route: Tideswell, Derbyshire to Chesterfield via Buxton
Service number: 66 (66A)

PC0001086/89 Cancelled
ERIC W BOWERS COACHES LTD
Route: Glossop (Market Hall) to Hyde (Bus Station) via Gamesley, Mottram
Service number: 202 (341)

PC0001086/81 Cancelled
Route: Marple (Navigation Hotel) to Marple (Navigation Hotel)
Service number: 305

PC0001086/80 Cancelled
Route: Marple (Navigation Hotel) to Marple (Navigation Hotel) via High Lane
Service number: 303

PC0001086/79 Cancelled
Route: Marple (Navigation Hotel) to Hyde (Bus Station) via Romley
Service number: 304

PC0001086/77 Cancelled
Route: Wardlow Mires to Buxton (St. AnnesSchool) via Tideswell, Harpur Hill
Service number: 193

Timetables for the 61, 65 and 394 will be revised on the same date.

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Timetables for the 61, 65 and 394 will be revised on the same date.

It'd be nice to see the 61 being extended to Huddersfield as people would use it. Speaking of which how long will it be until the 61 lasts as that is the main bus route between Glossop and Buxton? I'd hate to see half of the Peak District's bus services becoming Derbyshire Connect-ified as that would mean the end of me visiting on Sunday's.

pemma

Veteran Member
It'd be nice to see the 61 being extended to Huddersfield as people would use it. Speaking of which how long will it be until the 61 lasts as that is the main bus route between Glossop and Buxton? I'd hate to see half of the Peak District's bus services becoming Derbyshire Connect-ified as that would mean the end of me visiting on Sunday's.

The 394 route is being extended to Padfield so presumably the 393 will go with the extended 394 being part replacement. The 61 and 65 aren't route changes so they'll be timing revisions, whether that's a change in frequency or just retiming a couple of services is unclear.

chessie

Thanks for the info jcollins! For me personally the 66 will be a great loss and I cant see anything even partially replacing a fair chunk of the route anytime soon.

In relation to the Matlock services maybe Derbyshire Connect is the answer for a replacement, although the town services cover relatively short distances the hill en route is very steep and can be proper difficult to walk up especially for elderly with shopping bags etc. There is already a pretty much constant queue of people for taxis in the err bus station at certain points of the day which I suspect will imminently increase without an alternative.

talltim

Established Member
Damn, I use the 66, used it this evening in fact. Mind you it's never very full
Theres a big gap in the 80s west out of Chesterfield at the time I go home

Last edited:

chessie

Damn, I use the 66, used it this evening in fact. Mind you it's never very full
Theres a big gap in the 80s west out of Chesterfield at the time I go home

Small world we are on the same bus route talltim :lol::lol:

johnnychips

Established Member
Though just inside Greater Manchester, Broadbottom will lose its bus service, though it still has the station, which is of most use to get to either Glossop or Manchester and not many other places. Perhaps it will be replaced with some sort of dial-a-ride service.

pemma

Veteran Member
341 to be run by a new operator:

PC0001909/84
Registered STOTTS TOURS (OLDHAM) LTD
Service number. 341
Start point Gamesley Edale Crescent , Hyde Bus Station
Finish point Glossop Market Hall, Hyde Bus Station
Via Gamesley
Effective date 30 Oct 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.