• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Dewsbury to Hull Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshypie

Hello. I am travelling on a saturday on the 08:20 train to hull. Overall, there is one adult and one child with a family railcard. Thanks):

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
For both it is £17.50 off peak single. Off-peak day return it is £17.60, and an off-peak return is £20.65. No advance tickets.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
For a same-day return:-
CDR - OFF-PEAK DAY R TPE
00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult @£ 13.65 = £ 13.65
1 Child @£ 3.95 = £ 3.95

Standard Class Return
This seems fairly expensive. Unfortunately I am aware that fares on the Hull line are very expensive.

You can get from Dewsbury to Micklefield very cheaply (£4.30 CDR), as that's in West Yorkshire. After that, you enter the land of 'everyone is expected to drive a car' and the prices skyrocket, Micklefield to Hull is £14.60 CDR. As the fare from Dewsbury is only £3 more than that, it isn't cheaper to split at the boundary, Micklefield, in this case.

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Cheapest way to do it would probably be to split at Leeds and get advances from Leeds-Hull. If you book through this offer you can save an extra 25% off the advance fares, bringing the cheapest return fare down to just £8.30 between Leeds and Hull for 1 adult, 1 child with FAM discount.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Good idea, Max.

Unfortunately Advance fares are not available for Dewsbury-Hull for some unknown reason!

They are available from Huddersfield, e.g. for 29 January, the 0810 from Huddersfield is £4.45. The trains back are £4.45 (13:38, 14:38), £5.05 (15:40, 17:58), £5.70 (16:40) and £6.70 (17:01). Although you can't officialy start/finish 'short' on Advance tickets, it is perhaps not advisable to try it from Dewsbury, but on your return the guard isn't going to deny you exit at Dewsbury if your train happens to call! (Although if there are barriers at Dewsbury you may need to show a different ticket as they may object to you finishing 'short')

In general you can legitimately start or finish short, however this is not the case with Advance tickets, which prohibit it, although in the case of finishing short it is not always practicable to prevent people doing it.

Sapphire Blue

Good idea, Max.

Unfortunately Advance fares are not available for Dewsbury-Hull for some unknown reason!

They are available from Huddersfield, e.g. for 29 January, the 0810 from Huddersfield is £4.45. The trains back are £4.45 (13:38, 14:38), £5.05 (15:40, 17:58), £5.70 (16:40) and £6.70 (17:01). Although you can't officialy start/finish 'short' on Advance tickets, it is perhaps not advisable to try it from Dewsbury, but on your return the guard isn't going to deny you exit at Dewsbury if your train happens to call! (Although if there are barriers at Dewsbury you may need to show a different ticket as they may object to you finishing 'short')

In general you can legitimately start or finish short, however this is not the case with Advance tickets, which prohibit it, although in the case of finishing short it is not always practicable to prevent people doing it.

There are no barriers at Dewsbury as far as I am aware, thus allowing free and easy access into the WR Refreshment Rooms.

Established Member
There are no barriers at Dewsbury as far as I am aware, thus allowing free and easy access into the WR Refreshment Rooms.

There isn't, but at times there are manual barriers, same as at Huddersfield. Of course you can go without buying a ticket and use either the WR or Head of Steam to get past them both.

PinzaC55

There isn't, but at times there are manual barriers, same as at Huddersfield. Of course you can go without buying a ticket and use either the WR or Head of Steam to get past them both.

So you are advising people to break the law?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
What do you think he is 'advising' people to do? There is no law that requires you to have a ticket to enter Dewsbury or Huddersfield stations. Neither are Compulsory Ticket Areas (CTAs). So what law do you think people are being advised to break? Please advise.

I was on Huddersfield station on 29 August 2009 without a ticket. Did I break the law?

Established Member

Not at all, just poiting out the fact that if automatic barriers were installed at Dewsbury and Huddersfield a lot of people will cotton on to the fact that there are alternate ways of getting out without having to pay for a ticket.

John @ home

Established Member
What is the purpose of avoiding the barriers?
There are no automatic ticket barriers at Dewsbury. Occasionally there is a manual ticket barrier at the main exit to the platforms.

For most people who avoid the main exit when leaving Dewsbury station, the purpose is to go to the excellent station pub.

PinzaC55

Not at all, just poiting out the fact that if automatic barriers were installed at Dewsbury and Huddersfield a lot of people will cotton on to the fact that there are alternate ways of getting out without having to pay for a ticket.

And by so doing they would be breaking the law.
Hopefully permanent barriers will at some stage be introduced at both stations and the present absurd system will then be tightened up. In such a case the entrances from the pubs direct to the platforms should be closed.
Knowing the frequency of attempted fare evasion from both stations as I do, some people will opt to abseil from helicopters direct to the platforms in order to dodge their fares.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Hopefully permanent barriers will at some stage be introduced at both stations and the present absurd system will then be tightened up. In such a case the entrances from the pubs direct to the platforms should be closed.
Knowing the frequency of attempted fare evasion from both stations as I do, some people will opt to abseil from helicopters direct to the platforms in order to dodge their fares.

You might be breaking byelaws if you are travelling without a ticket, but simply entering or leaving the platform without a ticket is NOT against the law. If you disagree, I would appreciate it if you could link to copies of the relevant notices that state that Dewsbury is a controlled ticket area where you must be in posession of a valid ticket before entering the platform. If you cannot do this, would you please refrain from scaremongering by saying that people are breaking the law when they are not.

PinzaC55

You might be breaking byelaws if you are travelling without a ticket, but simply entering or leaving the platform without a ticket is NOT against the law. If you disagree, I would appreciate it if you could link to copies of the relevant notices that state that Dewsbury is a controlled ticket area where you must be in posession of a valid ticket before entering the platform. If you cannot do this, would you please refrain from scaremongering by saying that people are breaking the law when they are not.

When did I say that? Check my posts.

John @ home

Established Member
would you please refrain from scaremongering by saying that people are breaking the law when they are not.
When did I say that?
Here:
if automatic barriers were installed at Dewsbury and Huddersfield a lot of people will cotton on to the fact that there are alternate ways of getting out without having to pay for a ticket.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When did I say that? Check my posts.
OK.
No, it wouldn't necessarily. I went to Bristol and back without a ticket from Huddersfield. Your point is?

If TPE/Northern want everyone on their trains to have a valid ticket, they need to have more staff on their trains.

Preventing people going to the pub, waving off or meeting friends/relatives, getting on other operators services (that'd actually be illegal by the TOCs if they did that), preventing photographers/spotters, by insisting that they show a ticket doesn't actually solve the problem.

And if you replace on-board staff with barrier staff, the hardened dodgers soon learn that all they need is a 'sandwich' with no filling.

You appear to have a major chip on your shoulder (of boulder-like proportions), any particular reason why?

I wouldn't trust barrier staff to be knowledgeable and well-behaved at all times either, especially not after we saw one of the Huddersfield-based ones threw a sandwich out of a train window at Manchester Victoria! And then was seen trying to get on a railtour at Edinburgh when booked off sick! Deary me.

No, on-board staff are far better than barrier staff, and if you disagree, that's your right, but you can't convince me.

PinzaC55

OK.

No, it wouldn't necessarily. I went to Bristol and back without a ticket from Huddersfield. Your point is?

If TPE/Northern want everyone on their trains to have a valid ticket, they need to have more staff on their trains.

Preventing people going to the pub, waving off or meeting friends/relatives, getting on other operators services (that'd actually be illegal by the TOCs if they did that), preventing photographers/spotters, by insisting that they show a ticket doesn't actually solve the problem.

And if you replace on-board staff with barrier staff, the hardened dodgers soon learn that all they need is a 'sandwich' with no filling.

You appear to have a major chip on your shoulder (of boulder-like proportions), any particular reason why?

I wouldn't trust barrier staff to be knowledgeable and well-behaved at all times either, especially not after we saw one of the Huddersfield-based ones threw a sandwich out of a train window at Manchester Victoria! And then was seen trying to get on a railtour at Edinburgh when booked off sick! Deary me.

No, on-board staff are far better than barrier staff, and if you disagree, that's your right, but you can't convince me.

Unlike many people I have worked on the railways in a revenue protection role for 21 years and I have seen the lengths people will go to avoid paying their fares including being punched in the eye and resulting in ten stitches + 2 weeks off work by such a person.
If proper barrier staff are provided they can make sure that people pay their fare at the point they are supposed to BEFORE they board the train thus effectively using staff more efficiently since there are less stations than trains.
"You appear to have a major chip on your shoulder (of boulder-like proportions), any particular reason why? "

You appear to have a particular problem with ticket barriers and revenue protection in general, any particular reason why?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Read my post again and THINK. "if ticket barriers were installed at Dewsbury and Huddersfield people would soon cotton on to the fact there are ways to get onto the platform without a ticket"

The purpose of ticket barriers is stop people making journeys with the intent of avoiding paying their fare which is a criminal act. To try to find ways round the barriers is an attempt to break the law.
Travelling with the intent to avoid paying your fare is no different to shoplifting.
If you had a burglar alarm installed on your house and a burglar found a way to bypass it then stole your TV set would you say "oh cool he found a way round it"?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unlike many people I have worked on the railways in a revenue protection role for 21 years and I have seen the lengths people will go to avoid paying their fares including being punched in the eye and resulting in ten stitches + 2 weeks off work by such a person.
If proper barrier staff are provided they can make sure that people pay their fare at the point they are supposed to BEFORE they board the train thus effectively using staff more efficiently since there are less stations than trains.
Ah, one of the "passenger is always wrong" brigade by the sound of it? Please vent your anger elsewhere, it's not welcome here!

We have plenty of helpful rail staff here who make welcome contributions. If you can't do that, don't post here. Simple.
"You appear to have a major chip on your shoulder (of boulder-like proportions), any particular reason why? "

You appear to have a particular problem with ticket barriers and revenue protection in general, any particular reason why?
I have a "major problem" with negative assumptions like you are doing.

And, as I said earlier, barriers are not the solution. Effective on-train checks are!
Read my post again and THINK. "if ticket barriers were installed at Dewsbury and Huddersfield people would soon cotton on to the fact there are ways to get onto the platform without a ticket"

The purpose of ticket barriers is stop people making journeys with the intent of avoiding paying their fare which is a criminal act.
But does it achieve that? You may stop photographers, people saying goodbye to relatives, but you won't stop dodgers on sandwiches with no filling. I expect this point will continually be ignored because you have no effective answer to that.
To try to find ways round the barriers is an attempt to break the law.
Not necessarily. If you are not travelling, where is the law break? As we said earlier, neither station has a CTA.
Travelling with the intent to avoid paying your fare is no different to shoplifting.
Actually that's incorrect, shoplifting is far less serious in the eyes of the law! Travelling with intent to avoid payment is far worse in terms of the level of punishment. In fact they probably should be, as you say, "no different"!

If you had a burglar alarm installed on your house and a burglar found a way to bypass it then stole your TV set would you say "oh cool he found a way round it"?
hahaha that's the most bizarre analogy I've ever read!

That's like putting a burglar alarm at the entrance to your path and when the paperboy or postman comes round accusing them of being a burglar.:lol:

You have to accept Dewsbury and Huddersfield do not have CTAs. Can you accept that fact?

PinzaC55

"You have to accept Dewsbury and Huddersfield do not have CTAs. Can you accept that fact?"

No choice but it will change.
Can I take it you are an enthusiast but have never actually worked on the railways?
I am both.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
"You have to accept Dewsbury and Huddersfield do not have CTAs. Can you accept that fact?"

No choice but it will change..
Is there an application or proposal to create CTAs at either station? If so can we have any information on that?

PinzaC55

Can you answer my question as to whether you are an enthusiast or whether you have actually ever worked on the railways in any capacity?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can you answer my question as to whether you are an enthusiast or whether you have actually ever worked on the railways in any capacity?
I don't want another thread of "will you answer my question?" type posts, but if it makes you happy, I'll answer your questions if you answer all of mine. There are many of mine that are unanswered and I suspect you don't want to answer. If you don't, then I respect that, providing you don't hassle me for answers!

Although I would also like to know what your reason for asking that particular question, given that I don't think my employment circumstances are of any relevance to this thread?

I do also wonder whether you are familiar with Dewsbury & Huddersfield stations.

John @ home

Established Member
To try to find ways round the barriers is an attempt to break the law.
I don't agree. Whenever I have been at Dewsbury or Huddersfield stations I have held a valid West Yorkshire Metro Day Rover. On several occasions I have chosen to leave the station by an exit other than the one which had a staffed barrier. I have done this because it was more convenient for me.

I cannot think of any law I have broken by doing this. Please tell me which section of which particular statute you allege that I have breached.

PinzaC55

I don't want another thread of "will you answer my question?" type posts, but if it makes you happy, I'll answer your questions if you answer all of mine. There are many of mine that are unanswered and I suspect you don't want to answer. If you don't, then I respect that, providing you don't hassle me for answers!

Although I would also like to know what your reason for asking that particular question, given that I don't think my employment circumstances are of any relevance to this thread?

I do also wonder whether you are familiar with Dewsbury & Huddersfield stations.

You still haven't answered it even though it amounts to a simple yes or no.
I don't agree. Whenever I have been at Dewsbury or Huddersfield stations I have held a valid West Yorkshire Metro Day Rover. On several occasions I have chosen to leave the station by an exit other than the one which had a staffed barrier. I have done this because it was more convenient for me.

I cannot think of any law I have broken by doing this. Please tell me which section of which particular statute you allege that I have breached.

This is what is known as "anecdotal evidence". If ticket barriers are there, they are there for a reason, and that reason is to protect company revenue by ensuring that passengers entering and leaving the station have a valid ticket for the journey they have undertaken. If it''ll assuage you I will add "if they avoid the ticket barrier with the intent of avoiding showing their ticket or paying their fare". Does that help?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You still haven't answered it even though it amounts to a simple yes or no.

What bearing does Yorkie's employment status have upon the present discussion? John and Yorkie have both asked reasonable questions that you have yet to answer yourself yet you seem hung up on this one, why?

PinzaC55

Actually I was just talking to a colleague and describing this argument and he said he didn't know why I bothered.
I don't know why I bother either, so I'll bid you both goodbye.

John @ home

Established Member
This is what is known as "anecdotal evidence".
I wasn't aware that it is evidence at all, just an informal account of my personal experience. But anecdotal evidence appears to have more than one meaning.
The expression anecdotal evidence has two distinct meanings.

(1) Evidence in the form of an anecdote or hearsay is called anecdotal if there is doubt about its veracity; the evidence itself is considered untrustworthy.

(2) Evidence, which may itself be true and verifiable, used to deduce a conclusion which does not follow from it, usually by generalizing from an insufficient amount of evidence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence
Which meaning did you intend?
If ticket barriers are there, they are there for a reason, and that reason is to protect company revenue by ensuring that passengers entering and leaving the station have a valid ticket for the journey they have undertaken.
My view is that placing ticket barriers at some but not all entrances and exits to a railway station risks failure to ensure that all passengers entering and leaving the station have a valid ticket for their journey. That risk is borne by the train company, not the passenger.

Crossover

Established Member
Although you can't officialy start/finish 'short' on Advance tickets, it is perhaps not advisable to try it from Dewsbury, but on your return the guard isn't going to deny you exit at Dewsbury if your train happens to call! (Although if there are barriers at Dewsbury you may need to show a different ticket as they may object to you finishing 'short')

It appears from experience that Dewsbury gets limited direct services to and from Hull.
I know there is an evening return which terminates at Huddersfield, but that could be the only one southbound per day.
My view is that placing ticket barriers at some but not all entrances and exits to a railway station risks failure to ensure that all passengers entering and leaving the station have a valid ticket for their journey. That risk is borne by the train company, not the passenger.

I have a feeling there could potentially be a public right of way through the station (from Wellington Road side to the other one) across the bridge...the station booking hall was fully lit and open on Christmas Day (when I expected it to be shut) and that was the only explanation we could think of (as I doubt any staff would be there)

Automatic barriers would probably be unfeasible anyway at Dewsbury as there are too many entrances and most of the doorways etc are narrow, so if one person had a problem, it would delay everyone - and generally, without going into detail on a ticketing thread, for the Leeds bound platform, there really isn't anywhere for any automatic barriers to be placed

Sapphire Blue

The only reason I EVER go to Dewsbury (and I do so about twice a week) is to go to the pub. I.E. off the train - into the pub - out of the pub - onto the train. So if Mr Pinza gets his way and barriers are installed, please can the one into the pub be on the outside of the station so as not to inconvenience me. Thank you.

(See also Stalybridge)
(See also Bridlington)

Status
Not open for further replies.