• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did BR ever consider using the Scotrail MK3 Push/pull trains on other services?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RLBH

I always thought an AC version of the 442 would have been a good 309 replacement (16 5-car units to replace 23 4-car units) but also for use by InterCity on Birmingham-Manchester/Glasgow/Edinburgh and Manchester-Glasgow/Edinburgh services, again with the ability to be hauled Preston-Manchester.
An AC version of a 442 to replace 309s makes a lot of sense - the 309s were basically just AC versions of 4Bigs and 4Cigs, after all. Sometimes I even fantasise about a DMU version of a 442, would be useful for some longer regional stuff and maybe CrossCountry.
I still cannot see why the E&G is revered as a "flagship" route. It isn't. It's a fast commuter service from one large centre of population to another that takes less than an hour. It doesn't need first class, and it doesn't need a buffet. By all means, electrify it, but let's not pretend that the E&G is special.
It's the political factor I should think - Edinburgh being seen as the political capital of Scotland, and Glasgow as its' economic powerhouse, linking the two together is perceived as something more than just an outer suburban route, and in some ways comparable to London-Birmingham. Though a buffet on a sub-one-hour route is clearly insanity.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Though a buffet on a sub-one-hour route is clearly insanity.
A while ago I saw a document that showed the trolley service on the E&G was the biggest seller out of all the catering provision on the ScotRail network.

RLBH

A while ago I saw a document that showed the trolley service on the E&G was the biggest seller out of all the catering provision on the ScotRail network.
I can see that - but there's a big difference between a trolley service and a fixed buffet wiping out several seating bays.

GrimShady

Established Member
A slight change of topic ... but has Chris Green ever written a memoir?

Just the "Network Southeast Story". There really should be a "ScotRail Story" as many of the improvements made were introduced up North first. Including the "Open Stations" policy which was then reversed many years later by the installation of those awful ticket barriers...it totally ruined Queen Street Station and subjected the public to the daily scrum!

Status
Not open for further replies.