• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did I Break The Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesyChips

I hold an off peak day return ticket from Stourbridge J to Birmingham Stations

I travelled into Moor Street and the barrier retained the out portion of my ticket. All good so far.

I then walk to my meeting near Moor Street. The meeting finishes and a friend asks to meet me at Snow Hill. I am almost opposite Moor Street station.

I use the return portion in the gate at Moor Street and travel from Moor Street to Snow Hill. I leave the station at Snow Hill. We then go for lunch for some time.

After I and my friend parted ways I was closer to Moor Street again and so used my return portion again to enter through the barriers and travelled direct to Stourbridge where my journey ended.

My question is: did I break any rules or commit any railway offences in these movements?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richa2002

Established Member
Yes. You travelled twice between Moor Street & Snow Hill but only paid once.

EM2

Established Member
Yes. You travelled twice between Moor Street & Snow Hill but only paid once.
Did they?
As I understand it, the OP used the return portion to travel Moor St - Snow Hill, left the railway at Snow Hill and re-entered the railway at Moor St (having NOT travelled there by train).

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Surprised the Moor St barriers let you enter on two separate occasions with the same ticket.

OwlMan

Established Member
Did they?
As I understand it, the OP used the return portion to travel Moor St - Snow Hill, left the railway at Snow Hill and re-entered the railway at Moor St (having NOT travelled there by train).

I use the return portion in the gate at Moor Street and travel from Moor Street to Snow Hill. I leave the station at Snow Hill. We then go for lunch for some time.

After I and my friend parted ways I was closer to Moor Street again and so used my return portion again to enter through the barriers and travelled direct to Stourbridge where my journey ended.

I think you misread the original

CheesyChips

To clarify:

I used the same return portion to enter at Moor Street on both occasions

The outward portion was retained when I arrived into Birmingham Moor Street so doesn't come into the issue.

To simplify:

Using a Birmingham Stations to Stourbridge ticket RTN portion did the following:

TRAIN from Moor Street to Snow Hill
WALKED from Snow Hill to Moor Street (effectively)
TRAIN from Moor Street to Stourbridge, passing through Snow Hill.

I DID travel between Moor Street and Snow Hill twice with the very same return portion of the ticket.

My thoughts...

I completely get how this is very simple if the two stations concerned were perhaps Rowley Regis and Cradley Heath i.e. separate for ticketing and no type of interchange. But my ticket was to Birmingham Stations so I wondered if this made things complicated.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
But my ticket was to Birmingham Stations so I wondered if this made things complicated.

Not really, technically you should have walked back to Snow Hill and boarded there, or bought a single Moor St-Snow Hill.

I'm surprised the ticket worked the barrier a second time.

CheesyChips

I've always found that all Birmingham stations have allowed me to move freely through the ticket barrier in both directions multiple times with a valid ticket. Delayed trains have made me go back into the Bullring or to get a coffee from the shop on the public side of the gateline.

Oddly enough, it's the Network Daytripper that fails at the New Street gatelines quite regularly.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's not technically allowed to do that.

The Group Station rule does not apply when origin or destination are members of the routeing group in question (in this case the Birmingham Group consisting of Aston, Duddeston, Birmingham New St, Birmingham Snow Hill & Birmingham Moor St) and even then that just allows doubling back for interchange purposes (which isn't what is being discussed here).

sheff1

Established Member

In my experience barriers will let you through in the same direction two, or more, times and will only (wrongly) reject the ticket if you enter and then try and exit.

TH172341

I would have thought it's fine - Moor Street and Snow Hill end up being grouped as Birmingham Stations on tickets and as other posters have said the barriers will just let you through regardless at the two stations. Be interesting if you tried a similar thing through New Street as technically you can get to Stourbridge via Galton Bridge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.