• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Did not touch in on second part of journey on bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelson808

I was travelling from new cross to Euston by bus which involves two buses, this counts as one fare on oyster if you touch in on second journey within a certain time. I touched in on first bus and forgot to on second bus. I got stopped shortly after getting on the second bus and explained That I had tapped on first not long before. They said they couldn’t check so fined by penalty notice £40. I appealed on the basis that they had not incurred a loss as my fare had been paid on first bus. They have rejected my appeal. How can they fine me if I have paid for the journey ?, there has been no loss. Can anyone advise ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I was travelling from new cross to Euston by bus which involves two buses, this counts as one fare on oyster if you touch in on second journey within a certain time. I touched in on first bus and forgot to on second bus. I got stopped shortly after getting on the second bus and explained That I had tapped on first not long before. They said they couldn’t check so fined by penalty notice £40. I appealed on the basis that they had not incurred a loss as my fare had been paid on first bus. They have rejected my appeal. How can they fine me if I have paid for the journey ?, there has been no loss. Can anyone advise ?
I'm afraid this is more of a rail forum than a bus forum, so I don't think we'll be able to advise on the exact specifics, but a Penalty Fare is not designed to punish you for evading a fare - it is allegedly for "honest mistakes". Whilst failing to touch in did not result in them losing any revenue, you still had no valid ticket.

I would chalk it up to experience and pay, to be honest. There could definitely be more to pay than a Penalty Fare if you don't pay it now, and I don't see a defence.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Welcome to the forum.

You're required to tap in on each bus you use and you didn't do this, therefore the Penalty Fare was issued correctly. I'd pay it promptly to avoid the matter escalating. I realise that it doesn't seem fair, and this isn't the answer you want to hear but I really don't see any other grounds for appealing.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You were charged a Penalty Fare because you had not tapped in; this was a mistake and the correct action was applied. It isn't a fine, and anyone being charged a PF is not being accused of deliberately avoiding the fare.

My advice is to pay it promptly, and appeal (paying it does not prevent you appealing, but delaying payment will result in the charge being increased)

In your appeal, you need to submit evidence that you paid the fare on the first bus, for example a screenshot from your Oyster/PAYG online account.

I do not know if you have much chance of success and they are within their rights to reject your appeal, but you have the right to make the appeal, and there is no harm appealing.

I don't think there is anything any of us can add. Let us know how you get on, as it will be interesting to find out.

Nelson808

When I appealed I did a screenshot of my oyster account that proved I had tapped in at New Cross. I see what your saying about the rules about tapping in but this is a little different as the fare charged on the first bus covered the second bus journey. I wasn’t sure whether they would have had to incur a loss, I believe it would be the case under common law. I suppose the contract includes their t’s and c’s. I’m in two minds on this as it’s clear I had no intention of depriving them of revenue, therefore a reasonable company would see that.

Nelson808

Sometimes solicitors will offer a free consultation initially, is anyone aware of a company in this field who would do this ? I know it’s only £40 but I proved to them I paid the fare and this is just profiteering.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I appealed I did a screenshot of my oyster account that proved I had tapped in at New Cross. I see what your saying about the rules about tapping in but this is a little different as the fare charged on the first bus covered the second bus journey. I wasn’t sure whether they would have had to incur a loss, I believe it would be the case under common law. I suppose the contract includes their t’s and c’s. I’m in two minds on this as it’s clear I had no intention of depriving them of revenue, therefore a reasonable company would see that.
The company might incur a loss actually; TfL contracts out the bus routes to different operators. If you used two different operators, then only the first one would get the cash from TfL maybe. I'm not sure this argument would work. Maybe it will, but it could be a difficult road...
Sometimes solicitors will offer a free consultation initially, is anyone aware of a company in this field who would do this ? I know it’s only £40 but I proved to them I paid the fare and this is just profiteering.
It will cost a lot if you want to have a landmark legal case. It will also take time. If you do not pay the Penalty Fare and choose to appoint a solicitor to defend you if it goes to court, then that could prove expensive if you lose the case. Or maybe your plan is to pay the fare, and take TfL to court.

Either way, it won't be cheap! But I'd be interested to hear the outcome!

najaB

Veteran Member
I know it’s only £40 but I proved to them I paid the fare and this is just profiteering.
The fact that you had tapped in on the first bus doesn't change the fact that you didn't tap in on the second.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm afraid this is more of a rail forum than a bus forum, so I don't think we'll be able to advise on the exact specifics
Have you ever visited the bus forum part of the site?

And as this is an Oyster query there are plenty of people who are versed in the specifics and can help.

The way bus checks work is slightly different to checks on trains. When the inspector boards the bus they connect their reader to the bus computer and download the list of cards (oyster or contactless) that have been touched in on that journey. If yours had not been touched in on that journey then it wouldn't pass. As others have said, you have been treated correctly.

When you touch in on a bus the reader checks whether you are within an active hopper hour (actually 70 minutes). If you are then no charge is made, but the fact that you used the bus is recorded.

Bensonby

Of course you can, forgot about those. Are the rear doors still open on those now the conductors aren't on them?
They only open at stops as far as I am aware: it seems to largely defeat the point of building something with the rear platform and doors.

PeterC

Established Member
They only open at stops as far as I am aware: it seems to largely defeat the point of building something with the rear platform and doors.
In the early days I have known drivers only open the front and middle doors when there was no "conductor" on board. Very annoying if you use the rear staircase.

jumble

Yorkie
FYI
My understanding is that all TFL buses are all contracted for a fixed amount and duration and none of the farebox takings go to the operators so no one loses out.
HTH Jumble

wildcard

Not to alter the advice already given - pay the penalty fare then appeal but looking at it from the dark side I can see TfL's view . How to they know you were not planning a three bus journey ? In the normal course of events the 3rd leg would be chargeable but if you skipped the 2nd touch and the middle leg was sufficiently short then the 3rd leg would be free - so you would get away with £1.50 rather than £3.00 .

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Fundamentally, it is very simple. In order to claim your free second journey you must touch in. As you did not touch in, you had no valid authority to travel, and therefore a Penalty Fare was correctly issued. A Penalty Fare is not issued for wilful evasion, but simply for not holding a valid authority to travel regardless of the grounds for this with some very specific exceptions, none of which apply in this case.

Whether they have incurred a loss is not relevant, it is simply a matter of fact of whether the correct procedure was followed when boarding, and it was not.

You should pay it, and there are no valid grounds for appeal I can see, unfortunately.

IanD

Established Member
Not to alter the advice already given - pay the penalty fare then appeal but looking at it from the dark side I can see TfL's view . How to they know you were not planning a three bus journey ? In the normal course of events the 3rd leg would be chargeable but if you skipped the 2nd touch and the middle leg was sufficiently short then the 3rd leg would be free - so you would get away with £1.50 rather than £3.00 .

3rd leg would only be chargeable if started more than 70 minutes after the start of leg 1. The hopper fare allows unlimited touch-ins within each 70 minutes for a single fare.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
The Hopper fare changed a while back. You can now use as many buses as you like within the hour and all but the first will be free.

This doesn't alter the fact that TfL's Conditions of Carriage require you to touch in when boarding a bus and using Oyster or Contactless regardless of whether a Hopper fare and/or cap applies, and that a failure to do so means you're unable to produce a validated card on demand.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Yorkie
FYI
My understanding is that all TFL buses are all contracted for a fixed amount and duration and none of the farebox takings go to the operators so no one loses out.
HTH Jumble

Payments to operators do vary, but not based on the number of passengers carried. Operators have a series of bonuses and penalties. On low frequency routes these are based on timekeeping and on high frequency buses on keeping an even level of service.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
The company might incur a loss actually; TfL contracts out the bus routes to different operators. If you used two different operators, then only the first one would get the cash from TfL maybe. I'm not sure this argument would work. Maybe it will, but it could be a difficult road...

It will cost a lot if you want to have a landmark legal case. It will also take time. If you do not pay the Penalty Fare and choose to appoint a solicitor to defend you if it goes to court, then that could prove expensive if you lose the case. Or maybe your plan is to pay the fare, and take TfL to court.

Either way, it won't be cheap! But I'd be interested to hear the outcome!
London Buses are similar to the GTR 'franchise'. The revenue goes to TfL, not the bus companies

Status
Not open for further replies.