• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Didcot, Newbury and Southampton Railway Revival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill EWS

The avoiding line at Didcot was four track up until MAS signaling came about in the 60's. Likewise there was a four track section between Radley and Kennington Junction (Sandford). I remember using those quite a lot. There was also four tracks from Oxford to Wolvetcote Junction. The down lop isbeing rebuilt at this time. The Up loop remained. I also remember using the down loop (goods) a for number of times. It nice to see it coming back once again.

I believe there is talk of a flyover being bult at Didcot East, similar to that at Reading so perhaps a new link off the Newbury line could be diverted more to the east and south side of the mainline to be able to use the new flyover!. The DN&S could be linked to the Southern at Whitchurch and either run down the main line to Southampton or possibly by a reopened Fullerton route. There are ways and means if the money and political will is there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andrewlong

A link between Newbury and Didcot would allow electric services from Paddington to Bristol / south Wales via Newbury. There could also be a shuttle running between Didcot and Newbury as well as providing a diversionary route. South of Newbury - no chance and any talk of reducing width of A34 is frankly silly.

billio

There aren't too many over/under bridges between Kennington Junction & Didcot North, the main problems are likely to be around Appleford and Culham stations (the latter grade 2 listed I believe) as there isn't a great deal of room either side of those. Possibly the way around this is a new route from Didcot North, running to the east of Appleford, crossing the Thames heading back west, running between the government buildings and JET project (Thame Lane), joining back with the main line with a GSJ after a new 2nd Thames crossing, in the area of the old Abingdon Junction.

North of Kennington Junction, a route can be made via Hinksey Yard, but a new bridge over the Thames would be needed to 4 track it, otherwise there is enough room to 4 track from here.

If you are planning to build a new line north of Didcot, would it not be better to route the line nearer Abingdon so that the town (36,000+) can be brought back into the rail network ?.

HowardGWR

Established Member
A link between Newbury and Didcot would allow electric services from Paddington to Bristol / south Wales via Newbury.

What's the point of that, when the same can be achieved via Trowbridge, from Newbury?

Edit: I realise that you are referring to electrics but I just don't see the justification.

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Firmly in the "might be handy if it were still there, but not worth the cost of putting it back" category.

Unless it would be likely to generate local passenger traffic as well. I don't know the area well enough to make a conjecture as to whether that would be the case.

Buttsy

Established Member
I note that a Basingstoke loop is being considered, which is odd as as there was a loop around the back of the station (north of platform 5), but this got removed and filled in sometime in the late 80s early 90s. This, albeit low-speed, loop would come in a bit handy now...

The Ham

Established Member
I note that a Basingstoke loop is being considered, which is odd as as there was a loop around the back of the station (north of platform 5), but this got removed and filled in sometime in the late 80s early 90s. This, albeit low-speed, loop would come in a bit handy now...

There is also talk of rebuilding the junction at Basingstoke so that it no longer requires trains to cross it on the flat which would be much more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.