• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Differences Between Various Sprinters Acceleration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Some of you might be interested in these acceleration curves. Measured using Garmin GPS for trains departing Newton le Willows towards Manchester. Shows Speed (MPH) vs. Time (Seconds) then Speed vs. Distance (Miles). I should be able to do some other classes later, but a fair comparison with EMUs is a problem, due to there being a neutral section near Parkside Junction.
NewtonLeW_AccelEbound_1.jpgNLW_Ebound1d.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sorry - I am unable to answer that.
Also, note that I and the GPS were in the passenger saloon -- I am not rail staff.

Sorry, that was aimed at the post prior to yours. I hadn't realised you'd posted as I did mine!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The specs aren't the same.
Voyagers and meridian are 1800rpm max and are effectively set up as 60Hz genset.

If they are akin to a genset, do the run at constant revs or does the computer demand a certain level of power from the engine to meet traction demand and the engine then runs at a sufficient rpm to meet that demand?

notadriver

Established Member
Some of you might be interested in these acceleration curves. Measured using Garmin GPS for trains departing Newton le Willows towards Manchester. Shows Speed (MPH) vs. Time (Seconds) then Speed vs. Distance (Miles). I should be able to do some other classes later, but a fair comparison with EMUs is a problem, due to there being a neutral section near Parkside Junction.
View attachment 77277View attachment 77278

Very nice graph. The eversholt spec sheets show 195s as having a greater 0.83m per second per second acceleration against 0.49 for the 185 but the 185s superiority is clear. I also would have thought the 195 would be clearly faster than a 175.

Railperf

Established Member
Very nice graph. The eversholt spec sheets show 195s as having a greater 0.83m per second per second acceleration against 0.49 for the 185 but the 185s superiority is clear. I also would have thought the 195 would be clearly faster than a 175.
Isn't the Eversholt graph based on the 195 being in super power mode which is not often used by drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.